General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Couple Newbie Superhawk Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Re: Couple Newbie Superhawk Questions

The seat is fine, but the position of the handlegrips is hell on my wrists. I'm installing Heli Bars soon. I believe several other VTR owners have done the same with satisfaction.

Power delivery is different from the inline-fours. Even when you remember not to twist too much, it'll still catch you off-guard.

Front end is sprung too soft. A set of Race Tech springs does wonders. You'll want to raise the rear to get faster turn-in. You could lower the front, but then you sacrifice what little clearance there is.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:19 AM
Back Marker

Random

I think these are the colors/years, not 100% sure so don't quote me.
98-99 Red
2000 Yellow
2001 Black
2002 Red
2003 Black
2004 Blue
2005 Black

Issues.
Soft front forks They are find for lighter riders for street only use, but if you plan on doing track time, you'll want to upgrade. If you're 180+, you'll want to upgrade.

Low ground clearance. Footpegs, sidestand and exhaust. On the street, this shouldn't be an issue. On the track, it will become an issue as you gain experience. Rear-sets and high mounts mainly solve the problem, but the side stand will need to be ground down, or removed.

Cam chain tensioners. Some folks have them go (with catastropic results) in as little as 10,000 miles, however the usual wear out rate is about 25,000 miles. Many have 25K+ and have not had a problem. It doesn't seem to be specific to any particular year...it's really a crap shoot. I'd reccomend replacing them every 15K miles just to be safe.

Poor Gas Mileage/small tank. The 4.4 Gallon tank and 30-35 mpg means you've only got about 100-120 miles between fill ups. If you're planning on covering major realestate (touring), the SH is probably not a good choice. There is an aftermarket 6 Gallon tank available, but it's $1800 (Carbon Fiber).

1-2nd gear shift "clunk"
Nearly all VTR's seem to have this. Some worst than others. Don't be worried if the bike you test ride does this. I dunno why it does it, but it seems to be common to all. When I switched to Gilles Rearsets, it made the problem nearly go away, but 1-2 engagment is still "harder" and "clunkier" than the other gear shifts.

If you are used to inline 4's, let me warn you, V-twins are very, very different. Your 600R gave you more thrust the higher the RPM's. You have to keep it high in the RPM range to get power out of corners. The V-twin is very different. You can go as low as 2500 RPM and still power out of a corner with speed/power. You will have to get used to using more of the "bottom end" of the rev range, and using more throttle control. Run a V-Twin like a inline 4 (high rpm) and you'll be dissapointed with it's performance. Try to adapt to only using 1 or 2 gears (vs 3 or 4) and let the engine do more work down low, and you'll be amazed at how rewarding it can be!.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Back Marker

Random

The only folks I've heard complain about the front brakes are folks who spend time on the race track. For street use, the front brake is nice and progressive. (some folks call it mushy). You can firm it up buy switching to a Mastercylinder and lever from a 954. Makes the lever more firm, but the brakes engage much harder/faster. Some folks like the softer stock setup, some folks like the harder 954 setup. To each their own.

The "bike" will never bite you. The Rider....that's another story.
If you're worried about the VTR because it's a literbike, go with the Suzuki SV650 or SV650S. Lighter, less power, but much more agile than the SH. the SV has a better aftermarket support as well. Don't worry about the SV being "down on power/torque". The last few track days I've been to, a guy on an SV650 just flys by me like i'm standing still. (along with all the other guys I ride with). The SV650 can be damn fast. It may lack straightline speed, but it sure makes up for it with better cornering speed, and later braking/earlier power delivery.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:01 AM
Squid

nomead

Hey pearsonm.

Not sure if you're a member of YZF600R.com, but worth checking out. I have owned the Superhawk twice, both 99's.

Adding to Random's point in color:
98 Red Only
99 Yellow and Black Only
Not sure about the others, but 04 has black with gold rims, and according to Honda's site, 05 is titanium.

Random covered most of my thoughts, only point I felt to add was to monitor the Regulator/Rectifier. I have heard quite a few complaints that they overheat requiring replacement.

I love my Heli-bars; making riding much more comfy.

if you ride 2-up with the stock pipes, warn your passenger not to contact the pipes as they get quite hot (moreso than any other bike I've owned).
Old 12-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Back Marker

Random

I've got a 34" inseam, and I could never fit on an SV before either. I had the same problem with the tank cutouts. I didn't know they finally lowered the pegs. about time suzuook!

Since you looked at the 650, I'm assuming you also looked at the SV1000? Spec wise, it's a match for the Superhawk, however, I have YET to see any magazine do a "head to head" for the SH and the SV1000, so I really couldn't say which is better where. I think the SV1K has more HP (120 vs 105 for the SH), but it's power band is more "top end", so it has a tad less torque down low. (going from memory here, so don't quote me) I think the SV1K is also a few pounds lighter than the SH.

Personally, I just don't like the look of the new SV's. I liked the older rounded faring that the SV650S had. Just my personal opine. If you like the SV I'm not gonna fault ya for it.

You also might want to look into a used Suzuki TL1000-S and TL1000-R. The S is more "street" oriented (more comfy ergo wise) and only has a half faring like the SH and SV. The TL-R is more akin to the RC51. Not very comfy for long distance rides, but made for the twisties and the racetrack. Since Suzuki discontined the TL's....they've got quite a cult following, and have held their value rather well.

If you are considering used bikes, theres also the Aprillias and Ducatis. The Duc's might be out of your price range unless you pick up a high mileage unit (or a rat bike), but I've seen some Aprillia's go in the 6-8K range with reasonable mileage and reasonable condition.

I went with the Superhawk because I just couldn't justify the the Ducati. Spec wise, the SH is a match for the Duc. (the duc does handle much better though). I just couldnt' justify the extra 4-5K for the same HP/torque and weight. Again, just my thoughts, you may think differently, and that's cool too!
Old 12-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Squid

wheeliefun996

Mr Pearsonm
I had the same issue last year when I was in the market for a toy. My previous bikes were a, vfr750, fzr1000,gsxr1100, cbr900rr, zx9r all very fast and fun to ride, and I would'nt take any of them instead of my superhawk! It all depends how you drive, and what your after. On the street there isnt a modern bike you can't play with, let alone beat, it's all in the rider. I'll never go back to a I4 unless it's a second bike. As far as a bandit 12 for torque, the sh will make it feel like a scooter. The great thing about the hawk is it will do what you want, ride smooth all day, or beat on it, in my opinion it's the ultimate playbike for the street. The power is never scary, it's just there, pick a gear and go, and for 4-4500 bucks how can you go wrong? I'm 35 now and wish I knew about twins when I was 20. My 2cents.
pipes rule
Old 12-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Squid

wheeliefun996

Slipons for the hawk don't require a jetting change according to most pipe company's. I don't have one and it's the smooth as stock. 300 should cover most jetting changes
Old 12-04-2004, 04:13 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wheeliefun996";p=&quot
Mr Pearsonm
As far as a bandit 12 for torque, the sh will make it feel like a scooter.
pipes rule
Well I happen to have both in the garage at the moment and I will take exception to this comment. Maybe you are thinking about the gixxer 1100 with it's more top end biased power? Anyway, the B12 makes about the same hp as the SuperHawk and maybe a smidge more torque. It's peak is at about 4500 rpm but with more of a topend "rush" common to IL4's than the 'Hawk. It's riding position is also much more comfortable (about perfect IMO) and can be modded up to over 150HP!

But at the end of the day, the Bandit is still just another IL4 with very little "character" which is why it's for sale and my "new" superhawk is my second one. I had an original 98 back in the day.....

Doug
Old 12-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Squid

wheeliefun996

Ok a big scooter, I have a mint gsxr1100 in the garage and it kills that for midrange. Character is the best way to describe twins, I4's are so smooth there almost boaring, although I miss the top end rush once and awhile.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:56 PM
Back Marker

Random

I wouldn't call I4's Booring. I4's have "top end rush". That is their character. V-twins have "low end rush" :P

Personally, I'm a V-Twin fan cuz I'm lazy. I don't wanna have to downshift twice as I enter a corner. I'm happy to just leave it in 3rd and let the torque pull me out. Sure, I'd come out faster if I downshifted to first, but then I'd have to go through all that trouble of Rev-Matching/throttle blipping and clutch work WHILE I'm braking... Naw, I'm Lazy. I brake, the bike accelerates...the way it should be!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:20 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

I didn't go look but I think it's 87.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:58 PM
faz
Superstock

faz

I run 87 without any problems.

(no engine mods)
Old 01-18-2005, 05:09 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

My riding buddy has an SV650 which he adores and so do I. Its a very forgiving and fun to ride bike. Also, when he gives it, I have to really, really give it to pass him. However at high highway speeds I'm simply gone.

The SV's front suspension is softer than the VTR and less adjustable. Guys around these parts call the SV a girls bike but people who know the bike feel differently. If you want an easy to ride, easy to master bike for tooling around country roads, definitely take one out for a spin. If you want an all around muscle'y sport bike thats FAR more forgiving than the inline litre four's - read uncomfortable and way overpowered imo -, then the VTR rocks too. Its a fantastic, dependable all around, comfortable (relatively) real world, sport bike.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NOrrTH";p=&quot
My riding buddy has an SV650 which he adores and so do I. Its a very forgiving and fun to ride bike. Also, when he gives it, I have to really, really give it to pass him. However at high highway speeds I'm simply gone.

The SV's front suspension is softer than the VTR and less adjustable. Guys around these parts call the SV a girls bike but people who know the bike feel differently. If you want an easy to ride, easy to master bike for tooling around country roads, definitely take one out for a spin. If you want an all around muscle'y sport bike thats FAR more forgiving than the inline litre four's - read uncomfortable and way overpowered imo -, then the VTR rocks too. Its a fantastic, dependable all around, comfortable (relatively) real world, sport bike.
Does your friend use 87 octane, also?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:10 AM
SuperSport

We both put 90+ in our bikes. That maybe overkill but we only use our bikes for blasting around so what the hell. If your asking whats the lowest octane the SV is happy running at, I'm sure my buddy doesn't know as there is no way he's ever put anything less than premium in it.

He's a maintenance freek (cleans and re-oils the chain every other ride) and also broke is bike in hard. Hard = take it for a fast blast for about 20 minutes, running it up through the gears nearing the red line right off the bat.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:46 AM
faz
Superstock

faz

do a search on the net and you will find many octane discussions.

generally, the higher the octane, the lower the combustion speed.

if you don't ride a high compression engine (which can ignite the lower octane gas before the spark plug does), you are sacrificing performance by using higher octane gas.

Both my cars NEED higher octane gas for better performance. My bikes, however, both perform better with lower octane. I use the lowest octane possible for better performance (saving gas money is not an issue for me.)
Old 01-19-2005, 10:53 AM
SuperSport

well I'll be dammed!
Old 01-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Random makes a good point about V-twins and engine braking: Third gear on the VTR is a wonderful thing. I jokingly refer to the VTR as my "Honda-matic": You just get her into third gear and go, with very little need to jump from gear-to-gear.

The thing that most appeals to me about the VTR is that, since I ride a motorcycle as a primary means of transportation, it is refreshing to know that I can have heaps of fun without collecting speeding tickets: VTRs are a blast to ride at legal speeds, not to mention that with slip-ons installed, they never fail to turn heads--the "wow-za" factor.

cheers,
HotStreetVTR
Old 01-26-2005, 01:20 PM
SuperSport

I got really weak little girly hands and the clutch is fine. Its hydralic so... no prob

Quick Reply: Couple Newbie Superhawk Questions