General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Back Marker

Gerrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie Questions

Hi all...I am the proud owner of a low mileage SH. I have only been biking for 2 years, with a 500cc Cruiser, and then only commuting 20kms to work and back daily.

I bought a stunning SH from a friend that owns a bike shop, the SH was his wife's bike....

Having only had the bike for 2 weeks I have adapted to the different style of riding quite fast, but one problem remains...the numb and painfull wrists....You see we have some awesome biking routes here in sunny South Africa, and every Saturday and Sunday there are numerous "breakfast runs" to various locations...But I am afraid, my 47yr old wrists is not gonna play along....

So...does Heli bars really work?..If I order the goods online and have it shipped to SA, they will cost a helluva lot, due to our weak currency, and I do not want to make a mistake.

Secondly, the bike does not idle constantly at a given RPM, instead it hunts up & down from 800rpm to 1500rpm, how do I solve this?

The bike specs is quite neat...braided hoses, Yoshimura 2 into 1, tail tidy, carbon hugger, I just need to get the correct double bubble, as the wind is quite pesky over 120km/h.

I must compliment you all on an awesome forum, I have picked up many tips browsing all the posts, and it is great to know there will always be a place where biking (SH) problems can be solved..

Keep up the good work.
Gerrit de la Rey
www.formulagti.com
Old 12-27-2007, 01:36 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
What part of SA? My parents are close to Nelspruit.

Anywho, I have heard Heli bars work, as do VFR bars with a little work. (earlier VFR bars IIRC)

I find that if I just adjust how I am leaning and where the wind hits my chest at speed, there isn't much weight on my wrists with the stock bars.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Back Marker

Newbie Questions

I Live in Midrand...the Silicon Valley of SA

Nelspruit is awesome...and the roads that take you there is ultimate biking country.

I have noticed that distance riding is easier, town riding is hell though ..all the stop-start is hell on my wrists.

But this is such an awesome bike, that I believe I will enjoy it a lot more with a bit more comfort.

Gerrit
Old 12-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
I am 47 and have ridden for 30+ years. I too am getting used to the riding position as my previous bikes all had "flattrack" style bars. Two things...well..three. Use your knees and legs more. It sounds lame but it's true. Just become aware and start using the legs, back, and knees to support more weight and soon it will be a habit you won't think about. I'm halfway there. Two, get someHeliBars, or convert to regular bars above the top triples. Three, if and when you start to ride fast enough in the corners to wear your tires all the way out to the edges...you will probably want to go back to the stock bars as you'll want to be right on top of that front wheel. If you get Helis or above triple bars...keep your stockers. Have fun and remember...weight on your toes, squeeze the tank with your knees unless you're hanging off one side or the other, look through the corner for your exit, push the right bar away to drop in right, left for left, instead of pulling in the opposing bar.
Read this forum from front to back.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Back Marker

Newbie Questions

He he thanks Mr Redman....OK so I am not going crazy, as I have been doing just that, squeezing the tankd with my thights, and keeping my arms bent....trying various postures to sort of accommodat the bike...kewl...so I am on the right track...

I did see in the "Helibar" post that there is a suggestion to machine away the locating pin of the clipons, as this will allow one to move the bars a bit more straight....

Also is it acceptable to lift the clipons level with the top washer on the fork, as that will also give a few xtra millimeters...

I want to try this, but is removing the locating pin not a safety risk?

Sometimes a few millimeteers in either direction can make the difference.

Thanks for the replies and advice

Gerrit
Old 12-27-2007, 02:48 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
If you have to put so much force into the bars that they'd spin without the locating pin, you'd really be doing something wrong. I don't think most after market clip-ons, even those used for racing, have locating pins.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
If you have to put so much force into the bars that they'd spin without the locating pin, you'd really be doing something wrong. I don't think most after market clip-ons, even those used for racing, have locating pins.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Superstock

pigwings
Helibars worked wonders for my ancient back and wrists.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:36 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
the carbs do that when out they need synchronizing - easy to do as a first step and part of a simple tune up.

heli's are nice, not so much for the rise on these bikes but because of the change in angle which sometimes relieves some of that wrist stress. must be all of us 47 yo relate to this thread and are posting. Other options include spiegler superbike bars which essentially change the top triple clamp to the old tubular handlebars and you can pick any shape you want - that full set up can also get pricey, BUT others have modified the stock clamp very cheaply - search and there are some nice picture threads showing that - but drilling and adding some bar clamps. For me its the wrists and also on long days riding my neck - this option takes that away completely. converts it to more of an aprilia tuono riding position

good luck
Old 12-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
You might also want to check the TPS to see if it's set correctly
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...&highlight=tps

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 12-28-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Back Marker

Newbie Questions

Awesome guys thanks for all the advice....

I am gonna kep you busy

Gerrit
Old 12-28-2007, 05:53 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
+ 1 on the Heli bars.
+ 1 on the use of abdominal muscles to take the weight off wrists
+ 1 on keeping elbows bent

Also highly recommend a Sargent World Sport saddle. The stock VTR seat is angled towards the front of the bike and puts your weight on your wrists. The Sargent seat is flatter making it easier to put your weight on your butt.

Install fat hand grips.
Wear gloves that have padded palms.
Loosen your grip on the bars.

Drive fast.

Geoff in Almonte
99 VTR (for sale)
04 Guzzi
Old 12-28-2007, 06:52 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by vtrgeoff
The stock VTR seat is angled towards the front of the bike and puts your weight on your wrists. The Sargent seat is flatter making it easier to put your weight on your butt.
Methinks it was designed for a female(or possibly by a female, for revenge) ... It wasn't designed to keep my manly bits safe from getting squished, thats for sure...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:37 AM
Squid

bipedal is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gerritdlr
Hi all...I am the proud owner of a low mileage SH. I have only been biking for 2 years, with a 500cc Cruiser, and then only commuting 20kms to work and back daily.

I bought a stunning SH from a friend that owns a bike shop, the SH was his wife's bike....

Having only had the bike for 2 weeks I have adapted to the different style of riding quite fast, but one problem remains...the numb and painfull wrists....You see we have some awesome biking routes here in sunny South Africa, and every Saturday and Sunday there are numerous "breakfast runs" to various locations...But I am afraid, my 47yr old wrists is not gonna play along....

So...does Heli bars really work?..If I order the goods online and have it shipped to SA, they will cost a helluva lot, due to our weak currency, and I do not want to make a mistake.

Secondly, the bike does not idle constantly at a given RPM, instead it hunts up & down from 800rpm to 1500rpm, how do I solve this?

The bike specs is quite neat...braided hoses, Yoshimura 2 into 1, tail tidy, carbon hugger, I just need to get the correct double bubble, as the wind is quite pesky over 120km/h.

I must compliment you all on an awesome forum, I have picked up many tips browsing all the posts, and it is great to know there will always be a place where biking (SH) problems can be solved..

Keep up the good work.
Gerrit de la Rey
www.formulagti.com
I have used the HeliBars and they work, not only because they are closer to you, but also because they change the angle. You would be fine without the locating pins, as long as you retorque everything to factory specs. You also mentioned a problem with the idle speed, since the bike has a Yoshimura system, it would be worth your while to find out what size jets they replaced the stock ones with, if at all! Also adjusting the fuel mixture screws might help that. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:01 AM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
+ 1 on the Heli bars.
took a while to get used to them. But a plus for commuting.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Back Marker

Newbie Clipons

I actually loosened the clipons, and moved them both about 5 mm, from the locating position without cutting away the locating pin, thus raising them 5mm, to be level withthe top washer on the fork tube. See pics

This small adjustment in having the clipon more straight has removed the unnatural bend in my wrists and it feels much much better.

Will get some thicker grips tomorrow as well, as the standard grips are way to small.

Gerrit
Old 12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Welcome Gerrit;

I've got a set of rises that help, so take a look at these bar risers I found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/H-BAR-RISER-VFR7...sid=p1638.m122

They may help you, but even the risers wont totally get rid of the problem if you put too much weight on your wrists...
Old 12-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Back Marker

Bar Risers

Thanks a lot...this is still the simplest solution I have seen....

However, how do these risers attach to the fork?

Gerrit
Old 12-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Yes, they go on the fork legs between your top triple and the bars...easy to install
Old 12-28-2007, 02:10 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum...

I have Helibars and would definitely recommend them and an aftermarket seat - I picked up my bars and seat off ebay for a lot less than the cost of new so keep checking around on there unless you are in a hurry to get them.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:15 AM
Back Marker

Headlight Globes

Is it possible to fit more powerfull headlight globes than the standard wattage?

Can the electrics handle highre wattage, as the headlight onmy bike seems kinda weak.

Gerrit
Old 12-31-2007, 06:56 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Will get some thicker grips tomorrow as well, as the standard grips are way to small.

Gerrit
Welcome, check out getting a better seat that will lower your body, Sergent or Corbin.

Also if you are interested in a good thicker grip that is still sporty and soft grippy feeling look into these. They can be hard to find at a dealer, but worth the hunt. I use the Road Grips on my VTR and MX grips on my SuperMoto/DirtBike, these grips are soft, but not spongie.

Oury Grips
http://www.ourygrips.com/grips_menu.html#
Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 AM
MotoGP

Is it possible to fit more powerfull headlight globes than the standard wattage?

Can the electrics handle highre wattage, as the headlight onmy bike seems kinda weak.

Gerrit
That's possible but usually a bad idea... For two reasons, one being the heat of a high wattage bulb can melt the headligth glass on a warm day... The other is that it's a lot of amperes passing through pretty thin wires and the switches on the handlebars... A burned out switch gets kinda pricey...

It's actually rather undersized as it is, you can verify that by measuring the voltage output to your headlamp at anything above 3000 rpm's... it should be above 12.5V to match the spec on the bulbs... I'm pretty certain it's not...I have not yet seen above 12V on any pre -04 Honda... The result is that the bulb glows yellowish instead of bright white... And it usually only gets worse with a higher output bulb...

A much better idea is to run a thick wire directly from the battery (with a fuse) to 2 relays, connected to the normal headlamp connector, I have done this, it means the small stock wires and switches run very low currents, but the headlight gets full voltage switched through the relays...

The result is a lot better output from your stock bulb and the relays and cable will handle a very high powered bulb if you wan't to... In my case I never bothered... The stock bulb was plenty bright enough once it was fed enough juice....

If you aren't handy with electronics, this site sells pre-made wiring looms for this type of job... http://easternbeaver.com/Main/main.html

Last edited by Tweety; 12-31-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Back Marker

Thanks for all the advice

Thanks guys...all the advice makes owning a SH all the more special

Gerrit
Old 12-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
That easternbeaver link and relay kit is great. Thanks Tweety.....I'll hook that up next. I wasn't aware that there wasn't a relay stock...lame. I rewired my BSA from scratch and ran relays...works a charm. The price of 50bux is worth the hassle, measuring, cutting, soldering, sourcing relays etc. About 30 bux in parts anyway!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:54 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Gerritdlr:

I had problems with my wrists and hands until I purchased the Alpinestar GP Plus gloves which all but eliminated the vibration and my wrist/hand problems.

Regarding the headlight, replace your stock with the PIAA or Silvania Ultra Bright H4 bulb. I found that the PIAA was four times brighter than the stock bulb.

The fluctuating idle, is that after the bike is warmed up or is it doing that while cold? Did the PO perform any aftermarket modifications to the carbs? A Dynajet of Factory Pro kit? I had a similar problem after installing a FP carb kit and what solved the problem was re-installing the stock slow jets and of course synching the carbs.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough

Gerrit
I ran an 80\100 for a couple of years without a problem but of course YMMV
Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Superstock

mikecronis
A better choice would be gel gloves and gel slip-on grips.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:29 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by reaper
Gerritdlr:´

Regarding the headlight, replace your stock with the PIAA or Silvania Ultra Bright H4 bulb. I found that the PIAA was four times brighter than the stock bulb.
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I ran an 80\100 for a couple of years without a problem but of course YMMV
I did try an 80/100W bulb before doing the relays... And it gave me more light, but yellowish... You guys just imagine the light with a Silvania or PIAA with the speced voltage, I'm almost certain that you have a voltage drop, as everyone else has so reaper... The stock headlight wiring is crap...

ALL H4 bulbs are speced to have 12.5-13V as a baseline voltage and if you drop below 12.5V you loose 25-30% of the total output in Lux rather fast... I think there was a good explanation on Sylvanias site...
Old 01-01-2008, 02:33 AM
MotoGP

Oh btw... I did try the same 80/100W bulb after the relays were installed... Damn! that's bright... Once it burned out tho I didn't bother to replace it with another... I'm running a cheap, but good Sylvania ultrabright bulb with stock wattage, and that is plenty good enough for me...

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions