General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New to Superchickens...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
New to Superchickens...

Well hello there fellas I am from Los Angeles,CA and i recently sold my 1995 VFR750 to get a 2002 VTR1000. so now i am a Superhawk owner. and here are a few observations and stuff you probably know but i want to get out there for some help or suggestions.

well obviosly the gas mileage is the worst i have ever seen!!! i try to ride nice but i have barely gotten a 100 miles tank yet. is there anything that will help this even a little?

I have dont many mods already first was to the brakes which are just as bad as the gas mileage!! got SS lines and EBC HH pads...WOW that made all the difference.

Put a high mount Jardine on in black which i am sure many one here have done...sounds pretty sweet. but i havent rejetted yet as i was told it wasnt necessary(the stocks sounded like a lawnmower)

ignition advancer installed and appears to have helped a little

a shift kit which doesnt appear to have done @#$%

Pyramid lower belly pan installed

took off the mirrors and put a CRG bar end on...but not sure how to cover the holes left behind ( and i am not a fan of the zip tie method)

Grips and footpegs had to go as well and a dark smoke windshield was a must

even after all this i am still not entirely happy with the Hawk yet. my biggest bug so far has been when riding at around 3000rpms in any gear rearly...trying to sustain an even speed the bike really bucks on me and makes clunking noises. its wierd i have had many Hondas and this is a first! my local mechanic says i am just riding too slow for the gear i am in or need to shift but thats BS you cant tell me i have to ride above 3-4000 rpms all the time...just to keep the engine happy. i live in the city sometime you have to keep the rpms low.

anyway I am here and even with all the problems i have had so far i do like the bike and am looking forawrd to getting all the bugs out so i can finally enjoy the "Superchicken" as i have heard. i had lots of help over at the vfr discussion website those guys know their @#$% hope you guys can be just as helpful and inviting. the VTR is a strange bike but then again i am a strange guy...ride safe as you know how. Jeff
Old 11-16-2005, 07:35 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like you might need to jet after all. Did you put on a filter as well or just the pipes? Anyway as you already gussed that is not normal. If you do a search you can find lots of info to confuse the hell out of which jet kit to buy and how to set it up. Good luck once you get it dialed in I think you'll be very happy with it.

As far as gas milege goes depending on elevation you'll typically get about 100 miles per tank (small tank). The mirrors you should be able to get some block off plates at a race shop or something similar just bring the bike because you might have to match something from a different bike. You'll find there isn't a lot of aftermarket stuff for the hawk.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Back Marker

Re: New to Superchickens...

thanks for the info...yeah i figured a jet and a filter might help but the jetting is a pain and the shop doesnt have a dyno to test it. plus the $70/hr hurts after a few! as far as aftermarket filters do they all have to be the kind you have to spray once in a while to keep moist (UNI or K&N) or do they have dry ones that work just as well? because i am such a mechanic myself that i can install an air filter and thats about it...hehe. i wish i could find mirror block offs are there any other hondas that have the same mirror bolt pattern?

whats your VTR like, got any pics?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Back Marker

OK heres another small question on top of the growing list above...what would be the easiest and best matched jet kit for what i have so far...and i will most likely get an aftermarket air filter as well?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
No mirror block off plates are sold for our SHawks. You can custom make one with a dremel and some colored plastic. My friend did the same to great effect with his R6.

I have heard that K&N filters can rob your SHawk of horsepower, but I haven't personally experienced this. Definitely rejet the bike, however.

What part of Los Angeles are you in? I'm in the SGV. Do you hit up the local twisties on weekends?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:12 AM
MotoGP

Sorry I had an internet connection problem last night. Marm is right they don't make specific block off's for the hawk so if you don't feel like making them you could bring the bike to a place that has them and try to match some up.
As far as the filter it has been written that the K&N type filters rob low and mid to give to the high rpm range but I have one and it still pulls hard from the bottom.

Jet kits are also widely disputed on which is best. I personally have a factory brand jet kit, which was easy to do and I have no real issues with it. Some have said the dyno kits are better but I've also heard some complaints about them being hard to dial in. I may have gotten luky but I set mine up on install and it's been good ever since. Oh and the kit comes with different jets for the way your bike is, stock filter, stock exhaust, stock filter, aftermarket slip-ons etc..

I have to run to my sons preschool thanksgiving play so I'll put some pics of my hawk up later.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:56 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Hey SillyHawk,

I see you were able to register, site's been a bit flaky of late.

Do a search on the carb shim mod. That's a real cheap fix for the 3k stumbles IF you do it yourself. A shop will probably only install a jet kit and not just shim the needles.

We have several knowledgeable members in the greater LA area who I'm sure if you asked nicely would check out your bike.

I've run yamaha R1, R6, and FZ1 (current) mirrors on the VTR so you might look into plates for those.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:26 AM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome !
Sounds like you are on the right track!
I'm sorry to here about the shift kit :-(
I was hoping it would improve the shifting. (was thinking of doing mine)

So long as the bolt holes are the same you can use any block off plate.
You could even make some & paint them.
I'm using some FZ1 mirrors on my VTR (same bolt pattern).
Others here have used R1 and R6 mirrors (as I recall)
Other Honda sport bikes may be the same too.
So other bikes have the same bolt pattern.

Here are some on ebay http://tinyurl.com/7m86e for $12
You will have to get longer screws (flat head), some nuts & washers. (the upper fairing is held on with the mirror bolts (as you probably already found out).
You could get some flat black model paint ($1) and a small brush at the hobby shop & paint the screw heads. (two thin coats are better than one thick coat).
Looks like there fancy chrome ones for $45 (yikes!)
Heck you could just get some round button head screws or allen bolts & washers to fill the holes. (paint them before installing)
Honda sells your paint color in a touch up bottle for about $6 if you wanted it to color match .

I did the Dynojet kit and it is more work that a Factory Pro kit.
The install was not hard but was time consuming. (kept the stock air filter)
If you have never done one before it would be worth your while to have a shop do it for you.
You will be surprised at the performance improvement and the lower RPM response. Big improvement!
It is not perfect at 3000 RPM but much better than stock jetting.
Make sure to hold on tight when you crack open the throttle 5000rpm to red line :-) hehehe
I'm not sure about CA's smog rules but you might be able to get the shop to disable the PAIR system for you to eliminate the 'popping' on deceleration. (California guys chime in about this OK?)

Post up some pictures with all your mods !

P.S. Get a copy of the VTR1000 workshop manual here:
http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/i...ce-manual.html
Old 11-17-2005, 09:34 AM
MotoGP

Couldn't find the most recent pics but here's some before I put the 900rr rear wheel on. The only changes so far are new signals and the rear wheel. I'll try to get the new pics up later as it does look a little different now. It has gsxr 1000 forks and calipers, 954 triples, RC51 wheel and rotors and 929 helibars. And a few other little mods that if your interested in just ask.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Squid

apbrian112
hey! welcome to the boards... as far as going on rides (marmalade and everyone in socal) i'm minutes away from ACH and i'm looking for someone more experienced to guide me through there. i'm pretty much down to ride whenevers.
-brian-
Old 11-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Back Marker

You will have to get longer screws (flat head), some nuts & washers. (the upper fairing is held on with the mirror bolts (as you probably already found out).

Wow you guys are pretty much on top of things...thanks for all the help and quick responses. so i bid/won on those mirror block offs on eBay so i will see how well those work in a few days when i get them. thanks for doing the research for me. nothing new to add really i am still trying to get the hang of the VTR although i have gotten the hang of the way it looks....really is a sweet loooking ride!! i still dont understand why more people dont have the Superhawk. so far i have only seen one other one and it was yellow (not as fast a color as the red but it will do...haha) and travelling in the opposite direction on the 10 freeway going west out here in La La Land.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by SillyHawk";p=&quot
i still dont understand why more people dont have the Superhawk. so far i have only seen one other one and it was yellow (not as fast a color as the red but it will do...haha) and travelling in the opposite direction on the 10 freeway going west out here in La La Land.
When was this? I was on the 10 today heading East after doing some riding in the Malibu canyons.

I'm glad more people don't have the SuperHawk. I like the feeling of exclusivity as only riding a SuperHawk can bring. It's a stonkin' vtwin engine with enough to keep up with virtually any bike, given a competent rider. And, like you said, it looks amazing. The only real upgrade I would have wished for (from Honda) is a big gas tank.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Back Marker

no it wasnt today i think it was earlier last week sometime. and it was around 4pm or so because i was on my way back from the Honda shop after work. they broke my side panel fairing the one that says superhawk on it so i was talking to the service manager about getting a new one. He was very cool about it...no hassles and they ordered me a new one . now i just have to stop in to get it put on.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

How did they break it? I've pulled my fairing far apart (to get it past those wide side-radiators), and it's never cracked/broke.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Back Marker

i am not sure how they did it exactly...i peeked in a few times because there isnt a mechanic alive that will treat your ride as well as you do!! and i saw him trying to muscle the part back on in one piece with the light still attached and all. the whole front end in one go. anyway, he got it back on...his way. then later that night i notice the lower screw on the inner front wheel well was just kind of hanging there, and the plastic was snapped down around the radiator. not easy to explain but the fairings are only held on by a few little screws if you look under there. but it all worked out ok they ordered a new piece and i just have to get in there to get it installed. i offered to do it myself because i know i can do it more carefully than them but they said they had to do it. so i will have a new faring and a slightly busted up red one that i will most likely eBay.

P.S. on a sad note i got 104 miles on my tank today before a fillup...wow i miss those days of my 95 VFR that got an easy 180 before the fuel light went on.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Sounds like the mechanic just wasn't very familiar with the intricate workings of our Super Hawks.

104 is good! I only get 75 before the RLOD pops up to say hello.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Back Marker

well i am pretty sure that was a fluke and i was riding like a little girl with training wheels just to see how far a tank would go around town...I am sure i will be down around 75 next tank
Old 11-22-2005, 10:39 PM
MotoGP

Actually 100 miles is fairly typical. I think marm is beating on his girl like Patrick Roy used to.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Back Marker

[quote="CNI Dawg";p="12533"]
Welcome !
Sounds like you are on the right track!
I'm sorry to here about the shift kit :-(
I was hoping it would improve the shifting. (was thinking of doing mine)

So long as the bolt holes are the same you can use any block off plate.
You could even make some & paint them.
I'm using some FZ1 mirrors on my VTR (same bolt pattern).
Others here have used R1 and R6 mirrors (as I recall)
Other Honda sport bikes may be the same too.
So other bikes have the same bolt pattern.

You could get some flat black model paint ($1) and a small brush at the hobby shop & paint the screw heads. (two thin coats are better than one thick coat).
Looks like there fancy chrome ones for $45 (yikes!)
Heck you could just get some round button head screws or allen bolts & washers to fill the holes. (paint them before installing)
Honda sells your paint color in a touch up bottle for about $6 if you wanted it to color match .

well thanks for the attempt but those very mirror block offs which i bid and bought off eBay didnt work...not even close! oh well i will have to keep trying
Old 11-26-2005, 01:11 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Actually 100 miles is fairly typical. I think marm is beating on his girl like Patrick Roy used to.
It's not my fault, I swear. That throttle has a mind of its own...