General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New to the site, with questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Back Marker

Kators is on a distinguished road
New to the site, with questions.

Well, I am new to the site, and to VTR's. I am currently looking at buying a 98, with 20,000 miles on it. The bike is bone stock. The gentleman selling it bought it from the original owner and has decided he is a bit too old for it. Anything I should know about this year/model? I don't see many VTR's on the road and am curious as to what the driving impressions will be like. I used to own a 1993 VFR750, I am sure it will be different not sure on how different though. What about known problems? Any help is greatly appreciated. Looking at maybe picking this bike up friday or so, depends on my better half.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:43 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
welcome, only issues are the voltage regulators dying and random cct failers, search those things and plenty of info will come up.

You can't go wrong with a hawk, they are great street bikes.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Nose Picker
Back Marker

996SSVTR is on a distinguished road
Hmmm...If the price is right (3000-3500) I would buy one, I know im bias. It is a blast to ride talk about power and agility. Some common problems that have occured to my 98 which i payed 3100 with 17000, are my R/R burned up under my seat, I decided to change out my CCT for a manually ajustable one. You can also find some good info on the SH a www.superhawk996.net its gregs site and it has alot of info. Also im sure other will have other comments as well.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
welcome, only issues are the voltage regulators dying and random cct failers, search those things and plenty of info will come up.

You can't go wrong with a hawk, they are great street bikes.
I agree. Both problems are easily fixed and the VTR is great bang for your buck. Lots of fun to ride for a good price.

And they lend themselves well to doing mods. Plenty of us would rather mod our bikes than buy something else, and you will find plenty of upgrades on this forum.

Happy "twinning"!!!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Take one for a spin and you WILL buy one!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Superstock

pigwings
VFR's are comfortable
Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Back Marker

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, this bike is priced right at 3000. He said he is not dead set on that but I am not one to jew down much. May see if he will take 2700, my better half says that is agreeable. The RR's were an issue on the VFR's as well. Hoping to pick it up friday. It's in red, will have to throw some pics up if and when I get it.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
One Spin

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
Take one for a spin and you WILL buy one!

I took my first spin and was suprised to see how quick i went 80MPH. Before i glanced down i figured 40 or 45.. . Comming from years of dirt riding. the street is a big jump in MPH digits. You get used to it ,but be careful.. The hawk can get up and go in a hurry. And traffic stops. if your not paying attention youll come up on a car quick. Riding in traffic is like a second job. Its alot of work watching everyother driver constantly. You almost have to drive for them. Assume no one see's you.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Back Marker

The hawk can get up and go in a hurry.
I come from riding a VFR, and recently, my new VTX 1300. I will baby it till I get used to it. Totally psyched, checking it on friday.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
To be honest, the VTR is not a superbike..

Yes it is quick, but the VFR might feel faster if it is V-Tec.. The VTR doesn't have that high rpm rush.. (just a fat - flat torque curve)
Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Jap? Jew? Sheeesh! Or, Oy Vey! C'mon guys, it's the 21st Century.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Jap? Jew? Sheeesh! Or, Oy Vey! C'mon guys, it's the 21st Century.
PC bullshit...
Attached Thumbnails New to the site, with questions.-christmas.jpg  
Old 07-15-2009, 06:38 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1 for Chickenstrip. It's not about political correctness. It's about respect. It shouldn't matter what your faith, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, political stance or age is as long as you're interested in Superhawks/Firestorms. I appreciate LineArrayNut's point of view on political correctness. It's another form of oppression and intolerance.
Getting back to Kator's inquiry, there are a number of magazine reviews about Superhawks available through the Oz Firestorm site, IIRC, and vifferman has a helpful review of the bike on the Kiwi Biker site.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Back Marker

Oh no, my VFR was not a vtec, at least I didn't think they made em that way till early 2000 or late 90's. Could be wrong about that. I am not looking for a bike that is going to throw me off of it, I want something dependable and that will get up and go but will be fun to ride as well. If the bike goes ***** to the walls, but isn't comfortable enough to tootle around town on with buddies for all day, not really what I need. The VFR I had was pretty quick, that being said, it wouldn't just leave bikes in the dust, especially the newer models. Older models, I could smoke 1000's, no problems. Street racing isn't really my thing, but driving fast every once in awhile is fun. I think I talked in circles....
Old 07-15-2009, 07:57 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
This thread makes me want to sing "White Noise" by Stiff Little Fingers.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Back Marker

Sorry, just a little excited about checking the new bike out is all.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well the ergos are very much like a 600F3, there a a few very minor issues but nothing to worry about.
The SH is a very fun & reliable "street" bike. If you are looking for a repli racer, you will be disappointed but if you want a bike that you can ride in real world situations the bike won't disappoint you. Name:  thumbup.gif
Views: 137
Size:  139 Bytes
Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Back Marker

The SH is a very fun & reliable "street" bike. If you are looking for a repli racer, you will be disappointed but if you want a bike that you can ride in real world situations the bike won't disappoint you.
Exactly what I need. I would like to think I "want" a CBR or something comparable in speed but, I would get myself in a little too much trouble at the current time. Looking forward to Friday. I am taking half a day off from work to go look at and possible buy the hawk.

I have read a few places that insurance considers the bike a standard so it is cheaper. Any truth to it?
Old 07-16-2009, 05:47 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
LOL! I tried to convince my guy it was a "sport-tourer"... it kinda worked until he saw that it was classed as 1000cc and had fairings... progressive wrote mine, they were pretty good
Old 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Back Marker

Well ok, and yet another question for the Hawk Vets. I talk to my insurance company today. I tell them the bike I am looking at is a 1998 VTR 1000F. They can't find it. I call the seller up and he says well, the title says it's a 1998 Honda VTF1000F. He gave me the VIN number anyways. Insurance calls me back, it's coming up on the computer as a 1100. I am totally confused at this point.

Now, two questions:

1. Is the bike VTF or VTR? Everything I have ever read says it's a VTR.
2. Why the hell does the title say differently unless it's a rebuild or restored, but even then wouldn't it still say VTR unless it has a different frame?

Any help would be GREAT!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
My title says the same thing I always thought it was a typo. As far as insurance I believe Allstate, who I have consider it a sport touring not sport bike which does help for the rate.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The bike is a VTR 1000f
I just tell them it's a Superhawk and they find it right away and I get a discount for it being under 1000cc.

Originally Posted by Kators
Well ok, and yet another question for the Hawk Vets. I talk to my insurance company today. I tell them the bike I am looking at is a 1998 VTR 1000F. They can't find it. I call the seller up and he says well, the title says it's a 1998 Honda VTF1000F. He gave me the VIN number anyways. Insurance calls me back, it's coming up on the computer as a 1100. I am totally confused at this point.

Now, two questions:

1. Is the bike VTF or VTR? Everything I have ever read says it's a VTR.
2. Why the hell does the title say differently unless it's a rebuild or restored, but even then wouldn't it still say VTR unless it has a different frame?

Any help would be GREAT!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Back Marker

Well, I told them the name, 1998 Honda VTR 1000F Superhawk, they couldn't find it. Told them just 1998 Honda VTR 1000F, no go there either. That's when I got the VIN from the seller. But now the computer is bringing up an 1100 bike, which is totally not right. Kind of at ends right now. Not sure what to do. Talking to them directly might help, but that will be tomorrow as they are closed now. Did anyone encounter the same issue?
Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
[quote=Kators;227260]Kind of at ends right now. Not sure what to do. [quote]

Get a diff insurance company. Then go ride. Often.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Back Marker

Get a diff insurance company. Then go ride. Often.
Going to as soon as I get the bike, or, just ride the one I have now!

Going to double check and make sure the insurance company put the VIN in right...What are the odds of a screw up, right?
Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I cannot comment on US insurers, as I have no idea, but I am sure some of our other members could tell you who they are insured through over there. Dealing with a company that knows what they are doing should make it easy. It certains is easy in Australia, as the bike is common here, and all bike insurers know it.

As for the bike, ride it, and then make up your own mind. I have a VFR 800 as well, and the VTR is a lot more fun to ride. Put a smile on your dial.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
I have a 98 as well. The only problem I have with it is the R/R last week and my fork seal this week and that's it, no other problem. I have 20k on it not all by me of course i got the bike at 13k. The superhawk is a great bike i rode other bikes too before and nothing have beaten the comfort and speed combination on this bike. I rode a faster bike before and its not comfortable in high speed as the hawk. I don't think Honda themselves even saw this one coming, that the hawk is so well liked.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Back Marker

Well I got it! Great bike, as I found out on the 3 hour trip home. Got it for a steal, in my opinion. Not a thin wrong with it, never been down, and has a few minor blemishes, small scratches on the tank. Great ride!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:06 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Awesome! change ALL the fluids and throw some carb cleaner in the tank! Post some pics for us too!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:32 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
and

Quick Reply: New to the site, with questions.