General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New R/R. A big Thank Everyone

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Squid

woodsrider1 is on a distinguished road
New R/R. A big Thank Everyone

I must be almost living right. My r/r fried last week just as I pulled into the garage after riding for 3 1/2 hours. I got the seat off and the battery disconnected very quickly. Immediately ordered a new Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA Regulator Rectifier. Checked the stator and the battery before I connected it up and everything is good. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributes here. The search bar makes life with my Superhawk so much better. Also ordered the DMR shifter, rideit moto levers, and speedmetal bar weights. All this adds up to make it feel like a little younger model. Again, Thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
My first post here at the SuperHawk forum!

Honda's have been notorious over the years for frying the stator/voltage regulator/rectifier connentions on the wiring harness and it's not just a Super Hawk problem alone!

It has to do with oxidation or corrosion at the stator plug on the wiring harness and it's a simple fix!

This happens to many Honda's and the older Goldwing 12 and 1500's would smoke the wiring harness leaving their owners stranded on the side of the road.

Goldwing owners are Honda's number 1 customer and in order to keep them content when their bike left then dead on the side of the road Honda developed a inexpensive repair kit available for the Goldwing line which is a simple splice kit that removes the fried wires and terminals for new plugs and connections for the stator and voltage regulator.

Now if the Goldwing stator is fried it's a 1k repair bill to pull the GL motor and replace the fried stator...yikes!

A good friend and a Master Honda mechanic in my town at the local Honda shop who has been wrenching on Hondas for over 30 years gave me some advice oh 15 years or so ago, he said to clean each electrical connection with contact cleaner, clean way any corrosion on the plug/pins and then apply Die Electric grease liberally to the pin terminal and to the female side of the plug and you will never smoke the stator or the Voltage Rectifier / Voltge regulator ever!

It's one of the first things I do when I purchase a new used ride is to inspect the stator VR/VR connections and grease them up!

Think of it this way, when the bike is running the stator is pumping out around 13 volts or so at idle and when the pin coming out of the stator is corroded there is resistence and the heat builds up eventually frying the wiring harness, zapping the voltage regulator or worse...

My new to me 99 SuperHawk is my 36th Honda motorcycle and 6th Honda sportbike, when your friends Mom owns the Honda Shop, you buy Hondas!

Best of luck to you all and remember to clean and grease those electrical connentions!

Oh and thanks for letting me into the forum, been reading most of the post for general info, can someone tell me if the 99 has a petcock to shut the fuel off, if it does I can't find the damn thing...

Thanks!

SIRR1

Last edited by SIRR1; 04-07-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Holy smokes that's one helluva first post!

The petcock is opened by vacuum and shuts off automatically if the bike is off and it's working correctly. It's on the bottom of the tank near the rear on a 99. There is a manual dial that you can turn to manually shut it if need be (but like I said, this is for emergencies or storage, it should not leak fuel if it's working properly).
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks 7moore7, I kept seing petcocks on ebay for sale and I am like what the hell?

I like to run the fuel out of the carbs before putting a bike away for the winter and turning off the petcock is easier than pinching off the fuel line when performing this task.

BTW another good reason to apply die electric grease to the electrical connections on your bike is to water proof those electrical connections,

We all have been out riding and end up in a gully washer and one way to ensure your ride gets you home in the rain is to grease up those electrical connections, even the spark plug caps!

I have seen a dried out spark plug cap on an old XR of mine ground out on the head after getting wet keeping the bike from running.

I cut about a 1/2 inch of the plug wire off then cleaned up the cap and the screw and applied die electric grease to the cap and cap screw and put it back together and it never failed again, die electric grease is your friend!

I forgot to mention that I have built 2 street legal supermotos, the first was a Husaberg XE501 and the second was a XR426 with electric start...

Came close to loosing my license a few times on the sumo's...

SIRR1
Old 04-08-2013, 08:34 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SIRR1
We all have been out riding and end up in a gully washer and one way to ensure your ride gets you home in the rain is to grease up those electrical connections, even the spark plug caps!

I have seen a dried out spark plug cap on an old XR of mine ground out on the head after getting wet keeping the bike from running.
You and Tweety would get along well... he's known to rambling on about lubing up connectors for one reason or another .