General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

need trailer and good sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:09 AM
Superstock

SH1000MA is on a distinguished road
need trailer and good sugestions

Hey everyone well i am going to texas for some military training and i NEED to take my bike. The only prob is i cant ship it because its too much money. Unless anyone on this site knows of a good but cheap place to ship it. Im going from MA to TX in may. I really dont want to leave it behind expecailly since i am gone for 2 months. So does anyone know of a site that has good cheap trailers? I drive a 05 chevy cobalt ss/sc so the hitch will have to be compatible with this car.

thanks
Old 04-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Something like this might do:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42708
If you have a Harbor Freight store around.
Just need to add a sheet of plywood (or I-beam down the middle) and some anchor points.

Otherwise, I'd check local newspaper classifieds.
Maybe you could get lucky there.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Squid

redlinetech is on a distinguished road
You should be able to pick up a cheap motorycle trailer for like 200 bucks. I got mine for 150 and it super light. You could easily pull it behind your car.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have this unit from harbor freight? In the pic it looks ok, but is it sturdy enough to haul 1-2 sport bikes? That is by far the cheapest trailor I have ever seen! New, of course.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
I have seen a few of them around Deal's Gap and at track days. They seem to be fine for one bike. It might get tight with two, as well as maybe pushing the weight limit.

I think I remember seeing one where a guy had put a decent deck on it and some nice anchor points, as well as bolting down a few storage bins.

Seemed to work pretty good.

Harbor Freight does sell similar units that are a little larger, but they cost a little more.

I was going to buy the one I linked to above, but my father-in-law had a nice little utility trailer he no longer needed. He gave it to me, so I never bought the HF trailer.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:28 AM
Back Marker

gssbmm
have you cheaked renting a trailer from uhaul? don't know the prices but they have some light open trailers at some of there locations. but personaly if you have the money buy one, you find you start making up good reasonsto use it more then you'd think you would. (track days :-) )
Old 04-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Back Marker

AC COBRA
get a used trailer with bigger tires, those hardbor freight one might not last that trip, with that many hours between stops the wheel bearing might lock up
Old 04-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Squid

Tex2445 is on a distinguished road
What part of Texas are you going to? Here is an Ebay add, kind of far away but will hold 2 bikes and I am quite sure your Cobalt would tow it. You might be able to find something like that closer. I agree I would also buy a trailer over renting as you have the added bonus of the military help to offset the cost with travel money and pier diem if you make the most out of you trip.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Foldi...05463550QQrdZ1
Old 04-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
I actually have purchased this one due to many good words from my buddies over at Max-Suz.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90154

If you wait, within a month, it will drop to 199. no tax has to be paid and you get the title right away. I do have one but have yet to build it (NO TIME!) I was told a good solid 8 hours will get her going, but I have been cold galvanizing all the uncoated parts since these seem to have rust probs at the bolt connections after a while. I know guys that have used it to pull 1 Hardley and 1 Bandit with no problems at all. Plus it only weighs about 300lbs (depending on the type of wood used) and most small cars can easily pull 1000lbs so that leaves bike and gear with ample amount of leniancy. Theres my $.02
Old 04-19-2007, 11:56 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Rent one from u-haul.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
Rent one from u-haul.
Not a very good idea (in the lines of money being tight) Renting from UHaul only tends to pay itself off if you are moving from one place to another IN TOWN because itll only be like $20 a day flat rate, just fill it up afterwards. A 1-Way move from Boston, MA to Dallas, TX for an open air trailer will cost you between $350-$700 depending on the size. Definitely not worth it, esp if you can buy and own a trailer for less than their cheapest option!! Also that only works if your car/truck qualifies to pull their stuff. Cars are going to be real hard to pass their regulations. I know for a fact that older modeled Ford Exploders cant tow any Uhaul trailers because they tend to roll over

Yes I looked up the prices because I am THATbored!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
+1 on their stupid regulations. Some of the employees don't know jack about what can tow and what can't.

I would have also recommended UHaul for their motorcycle trailer.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:16 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I've rented a trailer from uhaul for $15 for a whole day. I don't know how much more it would be to drop it off at another location but how much more could it be? And my brother built the harbor freight trailer and got the one with the bigger wheels-better for highway use. He did a few cool extras to it but other than the fact that you have to make sure to ground the wires properly because the paint is so thick we never had any problems with it. It's a pretty good value and is neat in that it folds up too.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:43 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
I've rented a trailer from uhaul for $15 for a whole day. I don't know how much more it would be to drop it off at another location but how much more could it be?
Well, evidently A LOT! I'm just now realizing that I've only rented them for round trips ($15/day) and never one way. Another benefit is road service. I had a tire blowout in Oklahoma while delivering a sold bike and was back on the road in about an hour after calling their help line.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
if you are going to buy a trailer for long term, I would cheak the local race org,s message board stuff is sold there for pennys on the dollar beacause alot of these folks already have new stuff and just want it out of the garage. ( I missed out on an 03 999 for 4500 couldn't get to houston fast enough.)
Old 04-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Superstock

SH1000MA is on a distinguished road
Thankyou all for the exellent imput. But now my superhawk faces a new challenge and i am very sad to say its down for the count. I rode it a few hundred miles and when i tried to start it back up it wouldnt turn over, so i jumped it by going down a hill. (because nobody within miles had jumper cables) so when i finally got it back to the place where it was going to stay for the night, when i shut it down i say hey lets see if the battery has enough juice to start it up again. So i tried and then heard a sound that i didnt like, it was a sound of electricity shorting and i took off my seat to get to the battery and it was super hot and smoking!! So i am really bullshit becasue this is the first time i got to ride it because the weather has been shitty and i spent 400 dollars on new tires, NEW BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!, new fork seals, oil change and new brake line.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
The battery fried? You should take it back to the shop you bought it from and get a refund/exchange. Most places are willing to do so. Hope it didn't affect anything else.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Do a search on R/R failures. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Saw this on another motorcycle site and thought you might be interested.

Looks like a great idea!!

http://www.jwww.com/razor/

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR