General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Need some tuning advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy
Need some tuning advice please...

Ok, I live in Colorado right now about 5200 feet. I decided to go with a K&N because well the delearship said it would be a good upgrade. Well I bought the K&N, performed a nice exhaust bafflectomy procedure (NICE), and dissabled the PAIR emmission system. Well now I am running lean as all hell. So I decided that I need to get it rejetted right? Well i am moving to Florida next week so it would be a waste of money. I will just get it rejetted down there. But do I just need to get it rejetted or do I need to buy upgraded jets?

I know all sorts about cars, fuel injection, turbos and superchargers but Jets are a complete mystery to me.

So if i were to buy a jet kit, could a dealarship install the jets and tune it correctly for me?

Or should I get some advice and do the work myself?

Thanks Guys!
Old 07-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need some tuning advice please...

Where to begin. If your moving from colorado to florida, install a jet kit after you move down here. The difference in the carb settings going from that elevation to sea level is huge.

When you put in the K&N you gave the engine more air, now you need to give it more fuel to even it out. Thats why your running lean.

Buy a jet kit, stage 1 should work for you (check e-bay). Survey says the "factory" kit is easier to tune in. There are 3 jets that can be swapped out in the carb. The jet kits give you 3 or 4 different sizes for each jet.

A dealership can install and tune for you, or you can do it yourself. The work isnt that tough, the toughest thing is recruting someone to hold up the gas tank while you disconnect it. You may have to change the jets (tune) a time or two, but its worth the effort.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:03 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Moving from Colorado to Florida in the summer? Get ready it's Africa hot and sub-tropical weather in the summer means down pours from nowhere in the afternoons. (almost daily by the way.) I don't want to sound like I'm bitching but oh yeah did you know it's huricane season!! Oh and not that many twisties either. But the trade off is three seasons of awesome riding weather and a few nice tracks for the twisties.

Welcome to sunny Fla though really.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:06 PM
MotoGP

Oh yeah sorry, what he said.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy

:P Yeah I kinda figured that it would be freaking hot, humid, and rainy as hell. But hell, anywhere is better than where I am living now. Especially becuase you can only ride your motorcycle in 50+ degree weather only about 4-5 months out of the year. And the roads suck out here. They are always pulling that Chipseal **** that they put down on the roads in the summer so all the stupid people that cant drive in the snow feel safer on the rough roads.

Anyways, I am deffinately probably going to go with the "Factory" jetting kit stage 1. If i were to tune it myself would there be some detailed instructions on how to install the jets when I buy them. Because like i said before this stuff is greek to me.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-04-2005, 07:53 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
No way you are running lean with stock jetting in the Mile High, K&N or not. How did you determine this?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:15 AM
MotoGP

I got the factory kit, it was fairly easy and had good instructions. If you have any mech. abillity you should be fine.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:05 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to take the gas tank off my bike to do mine and with that, plus carbs re and re, there are about 8 hoses to deal with plus some wires. Pulling the slides out and reseating the diaphrams is delicate work.

It's not like changing the oil or setting the slack on your chain hehe If you havn't got a clue, I'd seek help.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Banned
Back Marker

99Hawkboy

I can tell that I am running lean up here in Colorado because now my throttle response is horrible, I get great gas mileage now even when I am getting on it, I have a lot less power, and my bike is running hot!

But I will try the jetting myself if there are good instructions on how to tune it and good tech support

I cant wait for the added power i will awaken when I move to Florida. Miami here i come!

Thanks Again Guys for all the help!