General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

My first VTR, well most of one

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:14 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
looks good, what process did you use to weld the joints on your aluminum coolant lines there?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
TIG. You have to be very careful because the thin aluminum heats up very quickly. The whole thing can melt almost instantly.

Last edited by Truckinduc; 04-03-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:21 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
truck, you should use the bed liner for the rear sets.

i love all the photos but when you start the bike i want a video.

for your knee, i wish you the best of luck. get the surgery done because it will cost less than a frigged up knee the rest of your life. i still like the bankruptcy idea.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:46 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by finepooch
truck, you should use the bed liner for the rear sets.

i love all the photos but when you start the bike i want a video.

for your knee, i wish you the best of luck. get the surgery done because it will cost less than a frigged up knee the rest of your life. i still like the bankruptcy idea.

Oh there will be videos, trust me. Shitty quality cause its the digital camera, but you will get the idea.

I actually powdercoated one of the rearsets yesterday. Looked great till I put it back together and it chipped off on the mounting points.

that was a waisted 2 hours

Bedliner it is, just for you.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 PM
SuperBike

doin more

Old 04-03-2009, 07:13 PM
SuperBike

What do you people think about these lines being polished? Im not doing it for looks. Im doing it because I "Think" they will reflect heat better. The polished lines run the cool water from the radiator to the motor. As you can see by the routing they might pick up a little heat from the engine.

Now the other lines are a different story. The lines that run the hot coolant from the motor to the radiator Will probably be black. Why black? well it pulls heat from the coolant. Im also thinking about welding fins on to the hot water lines to increase surface area.

The aluminum lines are alot better thermal exchangers than rubber lines. In turn it will be like I have a bigger radiator.

So what you think?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:06 PM
SuperBike

Old 04-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
Polishing the lines will essentially reflect radiant heat from outside sources, which I guess could be the engine... Polishing the inside of the lines would theoretically make it a radiant barrier and keep some heat inside... But I'm not sure if you're trying to keep the lines cool on the outside so you don't burn your *** or if you want to cool the bike more effectively. If you're concerned with dissipating as much heat as possible I suggest leaving them unpolished. Aside from the radiation barrier aspect, there will be more surface area to dissipate the heat.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:14 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by Truckinduc
1 funny looking bent shiny tube done.
Okay, is this all about 'bling,' or are there practical advantages to making this switch? It does look great.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:50 AM
SuperBike

i like the fact that you're thinking so much about what you're doing.

glad to hear about the video. good idea. as for the bed liner, thank you! i laughed when i read "just for you"!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahah good one!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by maverick
Polishing the lines will essentially reflect radiant heat from outside sources, which I guess could be the engine... Polishing the inside of the lines would theoretically make it a radiant barrier and keep some heat inside... But I'm not sure if you're trying to keep the lines cool on the outside so you don't burn your *** or if you want to cool the bike more effectively. If you're concerned with dissipating as much heat as possible I suggest leaving them unpolished. Aside from the radiation barrier aspect, there will be more surface area to dissipate the heat.
The polished lines run the cooled water back to the "hotter" engine. The line runs so close to the engine in some places I want them to reflect some of the heat.

Now the coolant lines with the hot water will be unpainted and finned to dissipate heat from the coolant.

Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Okay, is this all about 'bling,' or are there practical advantages to making this switch? It does look great.
Not for the bling. Hopefully it will prevent the tubing from absorbing un wanted ambient heat.

i like the fact that you're thinking so much about what you're doing.

glad to hear about the video. good idea. as for the bed liner, thank you! i laughed when i read "just for you"!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahah good one!!!
there you go
Old 04-04-2009, 09:24 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I think the outside polish work will help to reflect away thermal heat, but will not affect things much diffently with contact heat from the coolant. Looks good though. Did it take awhile to polish them?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I honestly don't think that there is a lot to worry about when it comes to heat transfer to the coolant from the engine (heads) as it returns. The polished lines should, in fact, increase the ability for the lines to dissipate heat into the air better. they will reflect radiant heat, but I imagine that the radiant heat levels in the area where you are running the lines will be inconsequential. If you are riding at any type of speed, it won't matter, and if its idling in traffic, everything is going to be heat soaked. i would wager to say that you may have better cooling qualities at speed with both supply and return polished, but then again I am not a thermal dynamics teacher or student, so my opinion on this matters as much as my opinion on things like the economy, aeronautics, and french cuisine.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Superstock

The polished lines run the cooled water back to the "hotter" engine. The line runs so close to the engine in some places I want them to reflect some of the heat.

Now the coolant lines with the hot water will be unpainted and finned to dissipate heat from the coolant.
In that case, I would polish them, and if you have trouble with cooling, you might try header wrap to further insulate it from the engine. Only if you run into problems, though. I think it'll be fine.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:26 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cornandp
I think the outside polish work will help to reflect away thermal heat, but will not affect things much diffently with contact heat from the coolant. Looks good though. Did it take awhile to polish them?
Thats what im trying to do. I dont want the lines to pick up and conduct any outside thermal heat. The lines can still dissipate heat effectivly, but when the ambient temps are hot, I dont want the lines absorbing heat from the outside.

The aluminum has some sort of coating. Pant stripper, acetone, nor gas will remove it. And it cant be burnt off cause it burns at the same temp the aluminum melts. So I had to hand sand the entire piece with coarse sand paper progressively getting finer. Id say about 3 hours to polish.

Originally Posted by autoteach
I honestly don't think that there is a lot to worry about when it comes to heat transfer to the coolant from the engine (heads) as it returns. The polished lines should, in fact, increase the ability for the lines to dissipate heat into the air better. they will reflect radiant heat, but I imagine that the radiant heat levels in the area where you are running the lines will be inconsequential. If you are riding at any type of speed, it won't matter, and if its idling in traffic, everything is going to be heat soaked. i would wager to say that you may have better cooling qualities at speed with both supply and return polished, but then again I am not a thermal dynamics teacher or student, so my opinion on this matters as much as my opinion on things like the economy, aeronautics, and french cuisine.
Yes the low speed times are what Im concerned about. Ill have little airflow through the radiator, only what the fans provide. Anything over, say 20 mph, should provide plenty of cool air to take care of any residual heat.

Im by no means an expert, Im just playing around. I like to research things, and put the concepts into action.

I was going to wrap the tubes in heat reflective aluminum tape, but feared it would hurt the ability for the pipe to dissipate heat.

Originally Posted by maverick
In that case, I would polish them, and if you have trouble with cooling, you might try header wrap to further insulate it from the engine. Only if you run into problems, though. I think it'll be fine.
Well if the coolant lines were wrapped, they could not dissipate heat, and thats the entire idea.

That would be working against my self.

There will be about an 8 inch section of one pipe that will be wrapped with exhaust wrap. Its the section that goes directly underneath the battery.

This is fun to me. I fear too many kids in my generation would rather be playing video games or doing drugs.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Superstock

Well if the coolant lines were wrapped, they could not dissipate heat, and thats the entire idea.

That would be working against my self.
Your return line shouldn't do much in radiating engine heat... by that point the radiator has done it's job, I'm positive the engine would put more heat into your coolant than the pipe would otherwise dissipate. If it is a problem, heat wrap would definitely help.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:05 PM
SuperBike

well the coolant temp will still be above the ambient air temperature. If the radiator was 100% efficient the coolant would be the same temp as the air, but its not that efficient.
So the wrap would still keep the coolant from cooling further, unless there really is a ton of radiant heat from the engine.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:06 PM
SuperBike

got over 150 bucks worth of parts today.

And no the black things are NOT *****'s. They are Derlin for frame sliders.

The seat foam is awesome stuff.

and my dad and I picked up an Industrial belt sander from a good friend for a good price.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:25 PM
SuperBike

i'm gonna rebild an rc51 seat and need to find foam. check this site out:
www.diymotorcycleseat.com
Old 04-04-2009, 05:34 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road

And no the black things are NOT *****'s.
But they could be
Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
You are the master of utilizing every possible space available. The underseat radiator is brilliant.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
But they could be
so can 4 D-cell maglights; but that's not to say you should

she kinda was ruined for the fellas after that...
Old 04-04-2009, 06:48 PM
SuperBike

i'm gonna rebild an rc51 seat and need to find foam. check this site out:
www.diymotorcycleseat.com
If you want I can give you this guys number. This foam feels nothing like foam. It feels alot more like that gel stuff. I think its going to be comfy.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:05 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
The aluminum has some sort of coating. Pant stripper, acetone, nor gas will remove it. And it cant be burnt off cause it burns at the same temp the aluminum melts.
I wonder if that was clear anodizing? Easy Off oven cleaner should help remove that if you have anymore tubing to do.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:13 PM
SuperBike

That is my guess. The stuff sucks.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Some excellent fabrication work you are doing, and in quick time too.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:26 PM
SuperBike

got some fittings for my gastank.

Trying to button up my clutch with my new clutch plates, But I need a 30mm 12pt socket.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Superstock

well the coolant temp will still be above the ambient air temperature. If the radiator was 100% efficient the coolant would be the same temp as the air, but its not that efficient.
So the wrap would still keep the coolant from cooling further, unless there really is a ton of radiant heat from the engine.
That was my point, that the radiant heat from the engine would add more heat back to the coolant than the pipe would otherwise dissipate. Obviously the radiator is not 100% efficient... But I don't think there will be any problem at all anyway.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
I just started reading this thread for the first time this morning and about 4 hours later I'm done. I remember seeing it before but for some reason I never read it. I have to say it's the best thread I've read on any bike forum! I think you have a great vision and exceptional abilities for turning your vision into reality.

I love what you are doing with the rear section of the bike. I'm one of the few who like to see the *** end raised up higher than stock. It makes it look a lot less cluttered.

I was looking forward to seeing how you finished off making the body work with the molds and carbon as this is something I'd like to do as well to have custom pieces on my SHawk.

I could go on and on about the things you've done but I won't cuz it's pretty much already all been said. Excellent work and keep it up. Take care of your knee so you can enjoy the ride!
________
Medical marijuana strains

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
How much are you charging for your CCT's? I'll be needing some soon.
________
Squirting vid

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Quick Reply: My first VTR, well most of one