General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

My bike is PERFECT!

Old 08-30-2008, 02:15 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
My bike is PERFECT!

just had to say it. Had time today to go out for a 250 mile ride with some good riders and great weather and twisties. My bike is set up perfectly (for me at least now) - suspension is a dream, geometry set for perfect handling, newish dunlop qualifiers, great brakes, sargent seat, rearsets and the new Fat superbike bar provides the perfect all day comfort riding position but still as racey as you'd want to be, the engine work bringing it to near 120hp keeps it in balance - like I said just perfect. I'm sure we all strive to make our bikes perfect for us - its nice to be able to put miles on and still feel that way after a long ride and in 8 year of ownership!
Hope your weekend gets you out on a perfect road on the superhawk.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Salt in my wounds.....I am sitting at the In-Laws house.......

I am really looking forward to spending some money on the SH to upgrade the essentials. The more I ride, the more I notice the departments it is lacking in.

Congrats on the awesome ride!
Old 08-31-2008, 03:01 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
Jealous

I'm just starting to put miles on my 'Hawk, getting back into it after being without a motorcycle for 10 years. I'm really noticing the flaccid fork, brake dive and a general weak-knee'd feeling when cornering. Did you do the RC51 front end yourself, or did a shop do it? Where'd you find the forks? I know I'm bound for at least new springs, going to find out what some shops quote to do the work. If it turns out to be close in cost simply to swap out for an RC51 or 929/954 front end, I might do that instead. Don't know if the stock springs on those bikes were just as soft, tho'.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:09 PM
SuperBike

I think most on here have done there own, I did. you could search for this topic, there are lots of threads: find a good thread if you are going to a shop so they have an idea of what's involved. basically, yes the front swap is more money and patience waiting on ebay for the parts, but they come up often enough. and then selling your stock parts off you get a lot of your investment back. Others have said that with racetech parts, stiffer springs, fork brace you can get a lot of improvment. But with the whole swap you get lighter wheel and better brakes (not a trivial issue), USD forks and in general a MUCH better system. Depends on your needs, wants, time. I'm sure a shop COULD do it, but no idea how many hours they'd charge. If you are handy and comfortable working on bikes its not a problem, and there is lots of advice on here. Don't forget the rear shock - replacing that made as much a difference if not more!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:02 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
Dang, not what I wanted to hear. Not ready to swap wheel, brakes, etc. Think I'll start with springs and see where that gets me.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
just had to say it. Had time today to go out for a 250 mile ride with some good riders and great weather and twisties. My bike is set up perfectly (for me at least now) - suspension is a dream, geometry set for perfect handling, newish dunlop qualifiers, great brakes, sargent seat, rearsets and the new Fat superbike bar provides the perfect all day comfort riding position but still as racey as you'd want to be, the engine work bringing it to near 120hp keeps it in balance - like I said just perfect. I'm sure we all strive to make our bikes perfect for us - its nice to be able to put miles on and still feel that way after a long ride and in 8 year of ownership!
Right on!! Im happy for you!

Id have to say that my SH is far from where I would like it to be, but its still fun as hell to get on and ride! I didnt hit the perfect road today, but I did get out on it and it felt GRRRREAT!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I just got back from a decompression ride up to Adiran's frozen custard in Burlington. Believe it or not I was able to pretty much have WI 142 to myself. Three times! Smooth blacktop for 18 miles into Burlington and 18 back to 94, more if you go the back way up J to D west through Rochester. D out of Rochester takes you to "rural roads" the back way to Adrian’s.

Its not exactly like the movie "top gun" but fast motorcycles compared to jets still elicits the same response, "I feel the need, the need for speed"...but with max out sweepers under a clear blue sky. Can you say hold it open as far and long as you dare?

I satisfied the need.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:20 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I'm 155 pounds and the stock front end works okay for me for as hard as I ride. I love riding the twisties, it's as good as surfing, but I don't go REAL fast. My chicken strips are 1/4 inch on the left and a little wider on the right. The only time I feel limitations in my front end is when I hit a bump or frost heave in mid corner. But after riding a road once, I know where those are.

Like I said I like to go fast in the corners, but I don't like to crash. So I go fast within my self imposed limitations. I have over 170,000 miles of street riding experience since 1981.

Last Thursday my wife and I went up to Idylwild, 90 miles away, in the SoCal mountains for a 3 day stay. Got in some great riding to squeeze the last out of my Qualifiers which are getting replaced on Wednesday. My front is like a slick now and pointy in the center. Great roads up there, but some sportbikers are riding crazy up there just like anywhere else, going over the line or passing in corners. There was a bad crash on Friday, don't know of the outcome. Fatality crash on Saturday. And today while coming home passed a crash 3 miles out of Idylwild where an R6 was so wadded that the front end was twisted up against the engine with the wheel dangling from it. Don't know the outcome of that one either. It didn't spoil my ride the rest of the way down to Hemet because I figured some guy just got in over his head, but I hope he's okay.

Bottom line is, ride fast, have fun, but live to ride another day. I don't know if that fits in this thread, but here it is anyway.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:47 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Bottom line is, ride fast, have fun, but live to ride another day. I don't know if that fits in this thread, but here it is anyway.
that one fits in just about every thread.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:47 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
If nothing else, upgrade your fork springs. Next, a fork brace. Then valving. Then an upgraded front end.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

Originally Posted by superbling
If nothing else, upgrade your fork springs. Next, a fork brace. Then valving. Then an upgraded front end.
Ive owned MANY bikes over the years and I have to say that the Superhawk BY FAR has THE WORST suspension ive ever ridden on. Especially the rear shock, horrible! Now my SH is my commuter/2up bike so im not going to dump a bunch of $$$ into it. Im going to be picking up a 2009 something and thats where my money will be dumped, but, I will have to do something FOR SURE about the SH suspension..horrible.

The funny thing is, even with terrible suspension, its still A BLAST to ride!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
what kind of engine work did you do? anything not listed below your posts?

Last edited by Death Cattle; 09-01-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:39 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I know it's not an '08 CBR1000, but compared to my last bike of 15 years, an '83 BMW R100RS, my SuperHawk handles like a MotoGP bike. I know it could use improvement, but at 155 pounds and riding at "my fast pace" on public roads it works just fine as long as I keep my weight forward in corners.

I was going to keep the RS after buying my VTR 3 years ago, but when I rode the RS a month after buying the VTR, it was like "what do I have to do to make this thing turn, and how could I have ridden it for so long".
Old 09-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
Don't you love it when that happens after a few good mods?

Okay, a whole bunch of mods, but who's counting (okay, maybe the wife LOL!). I'm working on getting mine there and not too far off. It's only money right?!?!??!

Anyway, CONGRATS! (stands and applauds)
Old 09-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

Hey Bill, would you mind providing some pics of your SH, or links to pics that you may have on line, I would love to see it.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:02 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Death Cattle
what kind of engine work did you do? anything not listed below your posts?
I think they are mostly listed in the signature - pistons, cams, jetting, pipe. That was enough - dollar for dollar the suspension work was much more bang for buck by far. but I wanted to see what the inside of these engines was all about.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I know it's not an '08 CBR1000, but compared to my last bike of 15 years, an '83 BMW R100RS, my SuperHawk handles like a MotoGP bike. I know it could use improvement, but at 155 pounds and riding at "my fast pace" on public roads it works just fine as long as I keep my weight forward in corners.

I was going to keep the RS after buying my VTR 3 years ago, but when I rode the RS a month after buying the VTR, it was like "what do I have to do to make this thing turn, and how could I have ridden it for so long".
when I bought mine I had the same experience. still had my 1981 900F since new. test rode this leftover 2000 Superhawk one day. that was it. then the 900 got more and more neglected. The SH is just a very fun bike and it makes you feel like you can use most of its performance (though of course I can't) but certainly closer than on a RR or GSXR etc. It is still one of my favorite bikes to ride. I even picked up an 1100F 'fixer upper' when I got the nostalgic feeling - but now after I revived it, it just sits too.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:07 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Slim
Don't you love it when that happens after a few good mods?

Okay, a whole bunch of mods, but who's counting (okay, maybe the wife LOL!). I'm working on getting mine there and not too far off. It's only money right?!?!??!

Anyway, CONGRATS! (stands and applauds)
Luckily we have a big enough garage and I can sort of sneak ebay boxes in now and then. Or I can sell some old part or project bike or something and justify it. She says I can change bikes/parts as often as I like if that keeps me from changing partners she'll never complain!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:54 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cal2az
Hey Bill, would you mind providing some pics of your SH, or links to pics that you may have on line, I would love to see it.

Sure, lots of pics. here is a link to a folder on photobucket. I still have to finalize the handgrip position on the bars and then trim the bar and then put the end weights in, but riding it for awhile to see what fits me best.

bill

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/911f/Superhawk/
Old 09-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

when I bought mine I had the same experience. still had my 1981 900F since new. test rode this leftover 2000 Superhawk one day. that was it. then the 900 got more and more neglected. The SH is just a very fun bike and it makes you feel like you can use most of its performance (though of course I can't) but certainly closer than on a RR or GSXR etc. It is still one of my favorite bikes to ride. I even picked up an 1100F 'fixer upper' when I got the nostalgic feeling - but now after I revived it, it just sits too.
I went the opposite way, I sold my 2007 CBR600rr and got a 2008 DRZ400SM and a used 2004 Superhawk(2400 miles on her when purchaced). Compared to the 600rr the SH feels like a pig that doesn't have suspenison or brakes!!! The main reason that I sold the 600rr was because I was only commuting on it and it was an expensive commuter...plus ive always wanted a twin
I do miss the inline4 so im getting ready to pick up another one...mostly as a track bike though.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

Sure, lots of pics. here is a link to a folder on photobucket. I still have to finalize the handgrip position on the bars and then trim the bar and then put the end weights in, but riding it for awhile to see what fits me best.

bill

Friggin sweeeet! Thanks Bill!
Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road

bill

What are those rearsets you have???
Old 09-02-2008, 06:04 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
What are those rearsets you have???
from moriwaki
Old 09-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
from moriwaki
Dang it... Now you used that expensive word again... I was hoping there had popped up a decent alternative...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
Dang it... Now you used that expensive word again... I was hoping there had popped up a decent alternative...
Ya, I wasn't even going to ask
Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Great write up, Bill.
I can relate on all levels. I used to get off my bike at the end of the day and stand back and look at her adoringly.

then there's the part about sneaking ebay boxes home. If she knew (and she did strongly suspect) how much money I had into that project...

No wait. She couldn't possibly have given me any more grief about it. Worth every dime and every hour.

She's actually gotten pretty good about my RC51. Still waiting to put it in the garage though. $4000 down, $3000 to go. First track day is only about 6 months away.

Keep the rubber side down, y'all.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Springbubba
Salt in my wounds.....I am sitting at the In-Laws house.......

I am really looking forward to spending some money on the SH to upgrade the essentials. The more I ride, the more I notice the departments it is lacking in.

Congrats on the awesome ride!
Well mine's sitting in the shop. They're trying to figure out where the drain on the battery is coming from. Only got to take it on two short rides in the late spring. Hopefully I'll be able to ride it before the season is over, but for now I have the Shadow and VTX1800. Not the same, but at least it's 2 wheels.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:53 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Great write up, Bill.
I can relate on all levels. I used to get off my bike at the end of the day and stand back and look at her adoringly.

then there's the part about sneaking ebay boxes home. If she knew (and she did strongly suspect) how much money I had into that project...

No wait. She couldn't possibly have given me any more grief about it. Worth every dime and every hour.

She's actually gotten pretty good about my RC51. Still waiting to put it in the garage though. $4000 down, $3000 to go. First track day is only about 6 months away.

Keep the rubber side down, y'all.
I thought you were already out on it? must be keeping busy to keep your mind off it - it would be killing me waiting.