General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Helmets and EyeGlasses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
Helmets and EyeGlasses?

So who else wears corrective eyeglasses in here, and what kind of helmet do you ride with?

When i am not wearing my contacts(which dry out rather quickly) i have to wear my huge, thick, im blind as a bat glasses. I was out trying on helmets looking for the perfect fit and i cant get my glasses on once inside the helmet with what the suggestions of what the "proper fit" is.

Any suggestions besides wearing my contacts from any other glasses wearing riders?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:15 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I feel your pain. I've got a new Bell Star but I don't know of any full face helmet that's designed specifically for those of us who wear glasses.
I've learned that glasses with nose pads dig into your face at speed and don't contact your face when you're stopped.
I've got a pair of Rayban sunglasses with a nylon frame, at least, I think it's nylon. I've had prescription lenses put in that darken automatically in sunlight. They weren't cheap. The temples, the part of the frame that goes over your ears, don't have much of a bend and can be put into the right position without a huge amount of effort. There's a fair bit of flex in the frame so they're still pretty comfortable.
The optician I went to was a big help. Take your helmet when you're shopping for glasses and find out what the optician recommends.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:23 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
get high refractive plastic and memory metal frames. I'm running KBC TK Eight helmets and an old shoei RF200, kinda a fishing expedition to get around the ear but no biggee, usually...
Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
I have an HJC CL-15 and some Ray-Bans and they fit OK. I have to close my eyes when I put them on after the helmet so I don't blind myself but otherwise I can't complain. I wear an XL although it's a bit too big, but a Large is too small.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Squid

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
I used to have glasses, and I have a KBC helmet:
http://www.mxdirtrider.com/h-product...dular-envy.htm

Mine's from last year, blue "envy" model (motostyle or something)

Anyway, I now wear sunglasses (go get lasik as soon as you can, it's wicked!!) and find that the flip up style helmet is WAY better for ease of getting it on/off with glasses. I wear an XL and it's rocked thus far.

Last edited by jonnyd; 06-02-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
HJC FS-15 Surge here, glasses are no problem with this helmet and it has a nice large eyeport which gives good peripheral vision...

newenough.com has the best deal on these helmets...
Old 06-02-2009, 08:43 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Arai Corsair RX7 with Bolle plastic wraparound sunglasses, I can slip them right on, no problem. I only wear them because I got tired of changing shields. The distance correction is very slight, but I've needed bifocals to read for the last 20 years. My sunglasses aren't bifocals, by the way.

My wife is blind as a bat (440/20) and had a big problem with contacts drying out and folding over in her Arai Astral X. She now has a Shoei RK 1000 and wears 30 day contacts (Acuvue Oasys)...no problem.

Of course how well the helmet will accommodate glasses will vary with the shape of the head. Good luck.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 06-02-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
search this page real good to see what you like. I would suggest some prescription sport glasses that don't have solid arms, but an elastic band. Think Super slim profile snow boarding goggles...

http://www.sporteyes.com/eyewear.htm
Old 06-02-2009, 09:59 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shoei puts a little notch at the top of thier cheeck pads to make glasses fit a little better. I don't wear glasses but I have worn sun glasses in my rf1k before and they don't seem to rise off my nose like in most helmets.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:04 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Icon alliance SSR in the ruberized rubatone finish. local store price matched internet price at $105 and fit glasses great.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
This is why I got Lasik.. really.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I know of 3 peeps to get lasik, and everyone was "blown away" at the difference and how simple it was.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Squid

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
I know of 3 peeps to get lasik, and everyone was "blown away" at the difference and how simple it was.
Agreed, now that it's been a few months and the night driving halos are back to what they were (or less) with glasses, this has been the best $3k I ever spent.

Now I wear sunglasses with my helmet instead of taking along a 2nd shield for day or night riding.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I don't have much trouble putting on my glasses with my Shoei RF900, other helmets have been more of a pain like AGV, HJC imho.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

wow.thank you all for the reply's. I agree with the lasik, i have been dancing around that issue for years.. im a huge wuss for that though..i checked out http://www.sporteyes.com/panoptix.htm per the suggestions..i think these have some promise.. i went and tried on helmets yesterday till my ears were sore from pulling helmets on and off..

I have found that the cl 15 has what i would call less padding around the upper cheek and does not wrap as far into the frontal side of my face, so i can get my eye glasses on with out bending and tweaking them, also once on i find the are not like part of the helmet and move around as the helmet does so that would allow me to not lose my corrective vision while riding..(im very bad off on the vision im like 700/20 i was in a explosion as a kid) while this seems optimal i worry about the safty of my head if i ever needed the helmet for its intended use..

Next i found an shoei..the x elven is not a bad fit they have some parts of the padding cut out in the helmet that actually look like glasses tamples with the hard arc and bend..priced pretty high though.. also the 1000 shoei is a close fit to my glasses but again not exactly make me feel safe on my head.. like i feel if i took it face first in the HJC cl15 or the shoeis i would lose all my front teeth and smash my nose flat..

Then we come to the Arai..only one helmet fit the top of my head at all really out of all the brands they make and also let me put on my glasses with out breaking them and still felt like they had pretty decent fit for actual safety.. the Quantum 2 was the one that fit, but darn if it aint like 600 plus bucks..i have to save a little more for that bad boy.

So for now i am going to go back and check out the suggestion on the ICON ssr from YRU YUR and see if that will fit my odd shaped head.

Thank you all for the suggestions. They were all very helpfull.

Happy, Safe Riding this season to every one.

Lazn get better soon. hope the spleen is healing quickly. I say you go cut that sign down you hit and mount it in the garage as a trophy..hehe
Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 5150
Lazn get better soon. hope the spleen is healing quickly. I say you go cut that sign down you hit and mount it in the garage as a trophy..hehe
Thanks! I get the staples out of my knee today, and hopefully find out if Insurance will be a problem on Monday.

I also have the same Icon Alliance helmet as yruyur and it works well with sunglasses.. I also have a Scorpion EXO400 that is more comfortable than the Icon but not as nice for glasses.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:35 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm gonna suggest you get different contacts. there are different types that don't dry out so easy. it would be just as easy if not easier than trying to make the glasses work. I don't even like driving without my contacts. with glasses you have no perriferal sp? vision. and glasses can fog up. I used to wear glasses when I used to dirtbike as a kid. they were always fogging up on me. especially if it was raining out. and I didn't realize how much more you see perriferally until I got contacts. now if I try to drive with glasses, my head is always on a swivel because I feel like I've got tunnel vision. so just get moisturized contacts. simple. and then you can wear shades under the helmet.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

you know what sword..i really didnt consider periph vision or the fogging issue at all.. very good suggestions..i probabally should slap in my contacts and go try helmets on again..i was just worried about if i get out some place far.. and contacts have to come out and the glasses must go on that i wanted the helmet to work with them..

leaning more and more towards Lasik soon like Lazn. hehe
Old 06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Dude this advertising is creepy.. it is like it is spying on us.. there is a lasik banner ad at the top of this thread now. lol and clutch levers on the clutch lever thread.. and tires on the tire thread.. damn you CARNIVORE.. lets see if we can change the advertisment to something more fun..

Naked strippers, asain girls, brunetts, nakked, street bike girls, pictures of hot asain street bike women, hot import nights models.

haha lets see if it picks up any of those words.. or maybe it only works off the thread header.

ps. hot naked asian street bike import models.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:49 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
If I think there is any risk of having a contact malfunction, I bring extra pairs. Although I know I can at least drive with only one in. I did it all the way from NC to NY before. Now I live in IL, and when I first got here, I took advantage of the no helmet law. until I crashed. I can appreciate why people don't like wearing helmets. much less perrif. vision, and a more limited spacial awareness. it feels less safe than with a helmet cause you can't tell what's going on around you as well with a full face helmet on. that said I still think a helmet is worth the limitations, and never ever ride without one now, but with regard to the glasses vs. contacts, I don't want to make the helmet disadvantages any worse than they are. hense the contacts. at least I get what perrif. vision the helmet will allow.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
The CL 15 is LOUD, earplugs aren't really optional, FYI. Although I don't have much to compare it to. And I know what you mean about chin/mouth protection, sometimes at speed I use the chin bar to scratch my chin, which doesn't reassure me much when thinking about a crash.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:53 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
+1 on the Shoei having a notch above the checkpads. On my AGV I pulled out the cheekpads, peeled back the liner and cut a notch in the foam. It was very easy as if they expected you to do that if needed.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Thanks guys.. i settled on a permanent helmet once i save the funds for it(need new tires first) so for now i got the ICON SSR YRU YUR suggested,, only difference i go tit in shiny blakc.. the silver one with cool designs were all sold out.

Eventually though im getting the Shoei x elven or 1000 as my close second choice to the first choice of the ARAI quantum 2 jolly roger..

Arai had hands down the best feel of material against my skin and it fit my oval shaped weird head like just right.. the cheeck pads hit me right where i wanted and seemed to follow the lines of my face like it was cusotm made. no exxces shake in the back like with my new icon(it is very slight and still the best fit i could get) but the price difference the icon won out till i am a seasoned rider.

i am just way to new to justify a 600 buck helmet that might only see one season or so.

Thanks again every one for the awesome suggestions. you guys rock.