General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Modification regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
Modification regrets?

Looking at things from the other side of the fence .....

I realize i'm about to ask a highly loaded question which depends greatly on varying opinion(s), but I wanna know - are there any mods you've done to your VTR that you regret? If so, what was the mod(s) and regret? What was done afterwards?

Just curious. Seen a few threads here and there where people are talking about putting this or that back to stock and thought this might be an interesting thread to start.

As always - PATIA!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:21 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Regret Not doing front brake upgrade sooner (will be done this winter) & not doing suspension sooner (done in '06)

No regrets on any Mod

Ah Twistys - Spring is around the corner, but for moi, any temp over 30 is good - can U say Gerbings & Hot Grips
Attached Thumbnails Modification regrets?-central-pa-5-07.jpg  
Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
Sliding the bike into that roadside boulder. The bike didn't perform any better despite the weight savings of the turn signals, bodywork and gear shifters that were sheared off.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Double Bubble windshield that turns into a magnifying glass and melted the top of my F**king instrument cluster !

Last edited by HRCVTR1000; 12-04-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:37 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Humm, that is a lot to ponder. I have done a ton of mods over the years. I don't think i regret any and i know i especially don't regret fine tuning the fuel/air mixture.

I do reget as well not upgrading the brakes sooner and i do regret not upgrading the forks.

Oh i know, I reget buying the Jardine Street baffles instead of the Race baffles, does that count.

The SuperHawk is such cult bike..........
Old 12-04-2007, 05:42 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I tried several used OEM shocks that didn't work.

Not superhawk per se but on my old bandit 1200s I tried a suzuki factory accessory gel seat that sucked.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRCVTR1000
Double Bubble windshield that turns into a magnifying glass and melted the top of my F**king instrument cluster !
Happened to me too, but I do like the shape of the screen while riding.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:34 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Probably only 2 things I can think of....

Braided steel rear brake line... was 30-something dollars just to match the front lines... I only use it at stop lights when I want to take my hands of the bars for a minute... not a regret, but more of a didn't need it thing.

And.... not thrilled that after my Jardine Hi Mount install my heels hit the midpipes when I'm riding.... If I didn't have them Jet Hot Ceramic coated, I'm sure they would have melted my boot heels...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:02 PM
SuperSport

<cough, cough> Double bubble on a VTR &

What U missed ur R6?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:20 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
regreted spending the money on upgrading the stock forks/springs/brake pads one year only to figure out I should have just the swapped the front end (did the next year). Waiting so long to dig into the motor to do those mods. In general most of my regrets are due to not doing it right the first time and wasting the money in the process by doing it twice in the long run .........................oh, and selling my silver 79cbx in mint condition back in 1985..................
Old 12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cliby
oh, and selling my silver 79cbx in mint condition back in 1985..................
Dude, that is terrible. I still got my 82 CB750F that i bought new. The CBX is still a one of a kind bike.

Wicked sound with a 6 into 1 exhaust.

I hope you sold it for the love of a good women and not for a car or other bike.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
<cough, cough> Double bubble on a VTR &

What U missed ur R6?
Not quite as as Givi luggage on a VTR ? That would be old and ! But to be completely ghey you would have to add the 6 inch higher touring windshield also !

Last edited by HRCVTR1000; 12-04-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 PM
SuperBike

I was in school, low on money and space at the time. AND I had my 81 900F since new and between the two, the 900F was by far the better riders bike. I didn't appreciate just how unique the cbx was back then and really couldn't keep both: but it was in showroom condition when I sold it. I kept the 900 till about 01, a year after I got the SH - finally sold it to a friend. Still miss that bike, finally picked up an 1100F this summer real cheap and that is my winter project - needs work, but just checked the compression and its 175 in all 4 cylinders! so thats a good start. I'm keeping it this time. I still love those old hondas. My brother still has his 82750F since new also. Nice bikes.

Originally Posted by Thumper
Dude, that is terrible. I still got my 82 CB750F that i bought new. The CBX is still a one of a kind bike.

Wicked sound with a 6 into 1 exhaust.

I hope you sold it for the love of a good women and not for a car or other bike.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:28 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Single cammer's rule! Not mine but had one just like it:
Name:  77cb750f.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  13.8 KB
What wuz this thread about? Oh yeah, +2 on the braided rear and clutch lines. Just for looks, no performance gains.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Man after hooking up my new heated grips I totally regret not putting them on sooner. Temps down near single digits and my digits don't feel like they are going to fall off.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cliby
Still miss that bike, finally picked up an 1100F this summer real cheap and that is my winter project - needs work, but just checked the compression and its 175 in all 4 cylinders! so thats a good start. I'm keeping it this time. I still love those old hondas. My brother still has his 82750F since new also. Nice bikes.

Another regret i had not related to my SuperChicken was that i wish i had bought an CB1100F instead of my 750 years ago.
Well i know this is off topic of the thread, sorry for the hi-jack. Check-out cb1100f.net. Great CBF site.

I am hoping to finish my CBF conversion to CBR600F2 Front end and CBR600F3 wheels. That way i can run 17" Radials like all sport bike do now instead of the old Bias Ply.

Here is a pic of mine as she is today before i convert to a SuperF
Name:  RightSide512.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  54.1 KB
Old 12-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Not quite as as Givi luggage on a VTR ? That would be old and ! But to be completely ghey you would have to add the 6 inch higher touring windshield also !

Hey, I did that back in my touring days!

That was before I could afford track days....

Now I can't afford track days or touring.....
Old 12-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Superstock

That comment was directed at nnjhawk ( see above ) , for the DBL bubble comment . I wont dog another members bike , unless he provokes me first . We all have different taste & different purposes for our bikes . If someone thinks they should share there opinion , they should be prepared to hear mine !
Old 12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Old 12-10-2007, 04:02 PM
SuperBike

know the site well. I was cnsidering the same f2 mods. the 1100 has the silly trac fork which makes just swapping wheels more complicated. for the front swap I haven't figured out what to do with the fuse box that sits on the top triple yet. I am sure bike will be great when done.

Another regret i had not related to my SuperChicken was that i wish i had bought an CB1100F instead of my 750 years ago.
Well i know this is off topic of the thread, sorry for the hi-jack. Check-out cb1100f.net. Great CBF site.

I am hoping to finish my CBF conversion to CBR600F2 Front end and CBR600F3 wheels. That way i can run 17" Radials like all sport bike do now instead of the old Bias Ply.

Here is a pic of mine as she is today before i convert to a SuperF
Old 12-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Back Marker

fuzzuki is on a distinguished road
I haven't modified a damn thing and don't reget any of it.

I'm ahead of the game as I see it.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:05 PM
SuperSport

Well Zero Gravity is not 6" taller

As for the Givi - Function over form + I haven't melted my cluster, et tu packer?

Plus my pizza stays warmer in there
Old 12-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Back Marker

Hawknut
Originally Posted by superbling
Single cammer's rule! Not mine but had one just like it:

What wuz this thread about? Oh yeah, +2 on the braided rear and clutch lines. Just for looks, no performance gains.
Had one just like this too till a telephone company truck took me out. Was my worst crash.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fuzzuki
I haven't modified a damn thing and don't reget any of it.

I'm ahead of the game as I see it.
You ..... AGAIN?!?!??!

Pfffttt, you want an undertail and you know it!

Actually, I remember a short while back saying something about thinking that needing to do more than adding gears should result in just getting a bigger bike.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:10 PM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
Does it make THAT much of a difference?

Humm, that is a lot to ponder. I have done a ton of mods over the years. I don't think i regret any and i know i especially don't regret fine tuning the fuel/air mixture.

I do reget as well not upgrading the brakes sooner and i do regret not upgrading the forks.

Oh i know, I reget buying the Jardine Street baffles instead of the Race baffles, does that count.

The SuperHawk is such cult bike..........

Hey Thumper (and all)... does the fork upgrade make THAT much of a difference? I can see why I would upgrade the brakes... it's pretty mushy until 1/2 way through the lever pull, then it kind of becomes to much brake application in the latter end...but anyway....

I rarely take a trip through the canyons, maybe 2 or 3 times a month... that being said, do you guys still think it's worth upgrading the fork? How does the fork affect the over all drive?

KG
Old 01-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Back Marker

fuzzuki is on a distinguished road
Like I said, I'm ahead of the game.

Undertail??? Maybe. But I really don't give a damn.
The bike works just fine the way it is now.

STOCK BABY.

Originally Posted by Slim
You ..... AGAIN?!?!??!

Pfffttt, you want an undertail and you know it!

Actually, I remember a short while back saying something about thinking that needing to do more than adding gears should result in just getting a bigger bike.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Kindred,

Yes, the forks are worth it. If you appreciate well sorted suspension as I do then it's most definitely yes! Now, if I can just the the fuggin' clip-ons sorted out then I'd be in there like swimwear.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Squid

Bocker is on a distinguished road
I regret every mod that the previous owner(s) made to my Superhawk. I had to remove a virtually opaque red windscreen, pink footpegs, a broken exhaust hanger with passenger footpegs that made riding two up impossible, a crappy 2bros exhaust improperly installed that touched my heels when I rode, and I still haven't replaced the fender eliminator that allows my taillight to wobble, or the pink valve stem caps. I'm almost back to stock.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:15 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Pink footpegs and valve stems? Did you buy this thing from a girl or were they faded red?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Squid

Bocker is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by newb007
Pink footpegs and valve stems? Did you buy this thing from a girl or were they faded red?

Faded red, of course, but that doesn't stop the laughter from my riding buddies.

Quick Reply: Modification regrets?