Mid-Ohio!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:04 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
Mid-Ohio!!

Just got back from mid-ohio superbikes Saturday... WOW that was an insane crash!! Happened right in front of me! For those of you who saw it there or on SPEED you know what i am talking about.. http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33517 worth reading. http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=12751 also good.

Saw 3 other hawks, a completly stock 00' talked to owner (60 yr old, not a member but told him to join).. a red hawk with high mount titanium pipes.. and red one with VTR on the side instead of SUPERHAWK 996, Any members rides??

Anyway great day.. My *** hurt like crazzy, only 220 mile round trip... not going down again tomaro but I hope Sunday is as exciting as Saturday, but safer!!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:19 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm guessing that a guy named Spies or Mladin won. Getting ready to watch day 2 in about 40 minutes.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:27 PM
MotoGP

Wow! I just read your link. Back in '84 a similar series of crashes happened at Riverside Raceway in California. Nine guys went down in turn 9, right in front of me and my buddies, before the red flag came out.

Everyone in the stands was yelling "RED FLAG" at the corner workers, who were watching it all with their thumbs up their #@%%&*.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:07 PM
MotoGP

Sorry, but I can't help myself. I saw the replay the oil crash, but then someone dumped water from a cooler onto the track from the bridge to the infield causing 2 more riders to go down hard.

I hope they found those idiots and
Old 08-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Some comment about the flaggies:

If the US domestic race rules/regs are at all like the international ones (and they were last time I raced there), red flag is a race-control-only decision.

Corner marshals should wave the yellow very vigorously when they see an incident like this (ie riders must slow right down and not pass anyone), but because red means "stop right now" the deployment of that flag has a bunch of safety considerations of its own that are wider than just the one corner. (In some places the red held out but not waved means "go back to pits/start line".)

I've been in most of these situations: as rider coming up on a bad crash, as clerk of the course making the decisions to stop races, and as flag marshal. In my experience, and having seen the further crashing that it can cause, I think that riders or flag marshals deciding by themselves to deploy the red flag can create more problems than they solve.

Last edited by PJay; 08-03-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:46 PM
MotoGP

In a situation like this with oil all over the track, something has to be done quickly. In the situation at Riverside in '84, the corner worker was watching everyone go down, one after the other, and he hadn't reached for ANY color flag.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
In a situation like this with oil all over the track, something has to be done quickly. In the situation at Riverside in '84, the corner worker was watching everyone go down, one after the other, and he hadn't reached for ANY color flag.

Couldn't agree more. But it's a yellow flag, waved like the end of the earth has arrived, needed immediately.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by PJay
Couldn't agree more. But it's a yellow flag, waved like the end of the earth has arrived, needed immediately.
+1 That would work. Just do something.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:42 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
waving yellow flag only means no passing and caution. Most times only a one corner incident and does NOT mean slow down, Few racers slow way down (dangerous on a track) as you lose any advantage you had and will probably cause more crashes. Race control can only get the flags out so fast. Red means stop racing, but not forward progress. There is also a dedicated oil flag but clean oil is hard to see.