General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Looking at a SH on Saturday. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Squid

flynavyj is on a distinguished road
Looking at a SH on Saturday. Advice?

All,

I put an ad on Craigslist to sell or trade my current bike ('96 Honda Magna) hoping to purchase a naked standard (FZ1, Z1000, 919, SV1000, etc). Found an ad on Craigslist a day later for a Superhawk the owner was wanting to trade for a cruiser. Asked him about the trade for my Magna and he sounded very interested. We've discussed a few more times via e-mail, regarding the value of both bikes, and we both still seem interested in the deal.

This will be my 5th motorcycle, so I know that I should look for some of the typical stuff (worn tires, old rusty chain, hard to reach places for signs of neglect, leaking fork seals, etc.) but wanted to know if there's anything in particular I should look out for, more than the typical cam chain noise that indicates a need to replace the tensioner on this machine.

The bike has ~20k miles, and looks pretty good in the pictures. Chain does appear a little rusty, the tiny fairing is missing under the front exhaust, and there are no decals on the side fairing (it's a 2000, don't know if that was a model year specific option). I'll post some pics once I get home and can reach a site to host them (work comp won't allow). If there's anything I should pay particular attention to, it'd be appreciated. I'm really looking forward to purchasing this bike, so hopefully things go smooth, and it'll be great to get back on a sporting machine again.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by flynavyj
The bike has ~20k miles, and looks pretty good in the pictures. Chain does appear a little rusty, the tiny fairing is missing under the front exhaust, and there are no decals on the side fairing (it's a 2000, don't know if that was a model year specific option).
It wasn't... No VTR, ever, was sold as stock without decals on the fairings... So the conclusion is that the bike has been down at some point, and repaired with new fairings, stock or otherwise... So have a good close look at other parts that isn't as easily replaced... The repair might be good, and it might be bad...
Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
It wasn't... No VTR, ever, was sold as stock without decals on the fairings... So the conclusion is that the bike has been down at some point, and repaired with new fairings, stock or otherwise... So have a good close look at other parts that isn't as easily replaced... The repair might be good, and it might be bad...
Great info, I really appreciate it. The color is red, and appears to match the bike, I'll be sure to do a very thorough inspection of the engine cases, and mounting tabs. I noticed that the blinkers had been replaced for "stubby" models, and the cans are aftermarket (ERION Racing). Luckily both sides match, so either the decals were removed from the other side to match, or both fairings were replaced. Title is apparently clean and clear. Factory tail section has been removed/cut off, we'll see how good of a job the guy did with it, and the taillight is an LED, assuming aftermarket.

thanks for the reply, anything else major?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Cam chain tensioners* (search for what I mean) and R/R (if unfinned it will need replacing), rear shock/swing-arm linkage bearings. Starter motor lead connector bolt under the rubber hood.

I should look out for, more than the typical cam chain noise that indicates a need to replace the tensioner on this machine.
When CCT failure occurs on the VTR it mainly happens without warning as when a spring in the tensioner fails it acts like pulling a pin in a grenade... There are a range of options to prevent it happen if you search.

Last edited by Wicky; 06-06-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wicky
Cam chain tensioners* (search for what I mean) and R/R (if unfinned it will need replacing), rear shock/swing-arm linkage bearings. Starter motor lead connector bolt under the rubber hood.

When CCT failure occurs on the VTR it mainly happens without warning as when a spring in the tensioner fails it acts like pulling a pin in a grenade... There are a range of options to prevent it happen if you search.

Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't know the R/R's were a problem, I replaced mine on my Magna earlier this year because of a failure. Nothing fun about putting your battery on a tender every time you want to go ride...and some idiot engineer at Honda stuck the stock R/R under the battery box, behind the engine, with it's fins perpendicular to the airflow (genius). Luckily, there's enough slack in the wires to relocate the R/R towards the outside of the bike, where it should receive plenty of air...the best location however would be at the very front of the bike where the VTX models (and maybe the fury) mount theirs.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:18 PM
MotoGP

Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't know the R/R's were a problem, I replaced mine on my Magna earlier this year because of a failure. Nothing fun about putting your battery on a tender every time you want to go ride...and some idiot engineer at Honda stuck the stock R/R under the battery box, behind the engine, with it's fins perpendicular to the airflow (genius). Luckily, there's enough slack in the wires to relocate the R/R towards the outside of the bike, where it should receive plenty of air...the best location however would be at the very front of the bike where the VTX models (and maybe the fury) mount theirs.
Well, since uniform airflow or no airflow really makes little to no difference in thermal efficiency of the R/R, the engineer didn't really make an error... The fins exist for the simple reason of adding surface area and thermal mass...

A much better option on the VTR, and also the Magna, would be to replace the arcaic design of R/R to a more modern type... search Mosfet...
Old 06-06-2013, 02:45 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Well the decals on the side fairings can be removed as they're not clearcoated on. But if it's a 2000, those were only offered in the states in yellow, so if the bike is red at the very least it's been painted or had the fairings and tank swapped. You can confirm the color on the decal under the seat on the subframe. It's not the end of the world but it's nice to know and should prompt you to at look a little closer and make sure the bike wasn't wrecked.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents with bikes like this floating around if you look a little there's really no reason to buy (or in your case trade for) anything less unless you get a screaming deal.

2000 Honda VTR1000 & Accessories - Garaged, Like New, 6K Miles
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well, since uniform airflow or no airflow really makes little to no difference in thermal efficiency of the R/R, the engineer didn't really make an error... The fins exist for the simple reason of adding surface area and thermal mass...

A much better option on the VTR, and also the Magna, would be to replace the arcaic design of R/R to a more modern type... search Mosfet...
Interesting tid-bit, I'd have expected that the fins were there to assist in the dissipation of heat from the core, and the use of airflow would assist in removing that heat from the machine. Same time, i'd have expected that mounting the R/R under the seat, between the exhaust pipes, and out of ANY airflow would make a noticeable difference in cooling the unit, similar to the issues rear cylinders can have with overheating comparatively to front cylinders on an air-cooled V-twin.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by captainchaos
My 2 cents with bikes like this floating around if you look a little there's really no reason to buy (or in your case trade for) anything less unless you get a screaming deal.

That's an awesome looking bike, and I love yellow (had a yellow 02' SV650 for a few years).
Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Squid

Well the decals on the side fairings can be removed as they're not clearcoated on. But if it's a 2000, those were only offered in the states in yellow, so if the bike is red at the very least it's been painted or had the fairings and tank swapped. You can confirm the color on the decal under the seat on the subframe. It's not the end of the world but it's nice to know and should prompt you to at look a little closer and make sure the bike wasn't wrecked.
My apologies, re-read the initial conversation, the bike in question is a 2002. Pictures from the seller are attached.

Name:  FrontLeftVTR1000.jpeg
Views: 335
Size:  157.4 KB
Name:  LeftVTR1000.jpeg
Views: 228
Size:  150.2 KB

Name:  FrontRightVTR1000.jpeg
Views: 252
Size:  151.5 KB

And here is the bike I'll be trading. 96' VF750CD Magna.

Name:  P1000019.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  277.1 KB
Name:  P1000023-1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  216.1 KB
Name:  P1000025.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  239.6 KB
Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Squid

I'll have to look in person, but that right hand engine lower looks like it might have some damage to the cover...anyone else see the same? Or more in the photos?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Back Marker

Caffeine is on a distinguished road
I don't have any advice for you as you seem to have it covered..
but here's a nice little read on the bike.. ok it's a decade or so old but still
Nothing we heard
Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Caffeine
I don't have any advice for you as you seem to have it covered..
but here's a nice little read on the bike.. ok it's a decade or so old but still
Nothing we heard
I'm hoping everything looks good in person, and that the bike rides well. It's a 20k mile example, and from my reading here, I'll be replacing the cam chain tensioner just after purchase for safety sake. I look forward to joining this forum, and I think it could be a great bike, if all looks good! I typically join up on forums for any bike I have, as the wealth of knowledge between the members is normally HUGE....Thus far, I've been a member of a yahoo CM400 forum (not popular enough to have a normal vbullitin one), then SVrider.com for my SV650, nighthawk-forums for an 85 nighthawk 650 I owned, V4muscle bike for my Honda Magna...so I look forward to hanging out here for a while as well!

BTW, thanks for the read!

Last edited by flynavyj; 06-06-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Back Marker

Chrisguilday is on a distinguished road

Dang, that bike makes me so jealous and slightly mad.

I bought a 1998 VTR1000 with 30k miles for $1800 in rough condition. Had to replace...

1. Fuel petcock
2. Choke valves
3. It has cut fairings, bad paint.
4. Possibly a warped front rotor. Not sure.
5. Temp gauge works about 20% of the time.

Yeah I think I got ripped off. Whatever lol. I'm probably just going to tear it all down and re-paint re-do every thing as a project.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:57 PM
SuperBike

I'll have to look in person, but that right hand engine lower looks like it might have some damage to the cover...anyone else see the same? Or more in the photos?
With the decal-less fairing, aftermarket indicators, levers, and bar ends it could hint at taking a tumble. Did the US VTR have decals on the tail? as there are none in the pics.

Try and get a peak inside the plastics for signs of repairs/repraying - look closely around indicator holes as they often crack when they take the brunt in an off.

Has the seller got all the original bits inc exhaust?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Squid

Wicky,

Thanks. That was very much along the same lines I was thinking. I've zoomed in on the pictures, but look forward to seeing the bike in person tomorrow. From the photos, you can't see any damage to the mounting tabs/bolt holes but we'll know by tomorrow.

I looked at some photos online, but I don't see any decals on the rear tail section of 02' model bikes, just the front decals which are clearly missing. My thoughts are it probably went down at one point, but the panel alignment makes me think either the damage wasn't bad, or all the panels were replaced. I'll plan to do a thorough look around on the bike, and test ride it to see if everything goes straight and smooth.

There look to be a couple dents at the bottom of the left hand exhaust as well, plus what might be a scrape on the right hand engine case (we'll see...can't tell/confirm).

BTW, I do not believe the current owner has the original pieces. He's never mentioned them, I'll ask him about whatever "crash" it's been in. Not a deal breaker for me, long as the title is clean and the fixes look good...not just pretty, but well done.

Last edited by flynavyj; 06-07-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Squid

Well, it's happened. I pulled the trigger and have joined your ranks as a Superhawk-Haver.

The bike had been down at one point as evidenced by slight damage to the RH engine case, but damage was minor cosmetic. All plastics were replaced by the previous - previous owner hence the no graphics. The panels however are in good condition, I got the front fairing off today to replace the headlight bulb and all looks good, including mounting tabs.

The bike will need a new set of rear brake pads immediately, and has a leaking fork seal. In the near future I think I'll add some frame sliders, and likely change the seat...or see if my butt adapts to it. The Speedo also seems VERY OPTIMISTIC at highway speeds. Shows about 80 mph when you're only keeping up with traffic, going an estimated 60-65. Going passed a radar station I was indicated 39 mph and the radar showed me at 31...I'll have to do some research to see what the stock tire size is, maybe find out if someone has changed gearing somewhere, etc...Does this bike receive it's speed signal from the transmission?

The seating position is pretty decent, but the angle makes your butt slide forward, especially if wearing my textile riding pants...end result is a crotch in the tank...easy way to keep your butt towards the back of the seat appears seems to be grab a handful of throttle.

The engine seems fantastic, although I haven't used all 9.5K RPM yet, and don't intend on doing it for a bit. Just trying to get back comfortable in a more sport oriented riding position first, and will let more lean angle come in as I get more comfortable with the machine.

The fuel mileage is horrendous (as advertised). She provided 31 mpg today on my 100 mile jaunt after the purchase...The PO said it's a bit better on the highway, but we'll see. I was showing about 4k RPM at light cruise indicated that "optimistic" 75-80 mph range.

All in all, i'm pretty dang happy to have something new in the stable. Only a little sad to see the Magna go. It was a great bike, but really don't feel it was for me. I'd love to add some saddle bags and a tank bag to this bike so I could commute on it a bit easier...but I think that'll be after I sort out the problems already mentioned.

1st pic of the new bike in her new home She's gonna need one heck of a cleaning (who sells a dirty bike....well I can tell you one guy)

Name:  P1030555.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  99.6 KB
Old 06-09-2013, 02:18 AM
SuperBike

Looks goods!

Download the Honda Service manual to get the specs inc the stock gearing

98-03_VTR1000F_NoRestriction.pdf

VTR1000F Honda Service Manual OCR.pdf

PO is right fuel consumption is not the best, steady cruising can increase mpg by 10-15%. Check the airfilter and poor jetting set up can make fuel consumption soar. 80-90 to fuel light range is about the norm.

Have the OEM CCTs been upgraded to manuals and also make sure the R/R is at least a later finned version - or ideally a MOSFETs. While you're doig the fork seal it will be a good chance to replace fork bushes, replace oil and install upgraded springs to suit you weight and riding style.

To cover the clutch cover cosmetic damage and give some extra protection look at getting a Carbonadi cover.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:53 AM
Back Marker

VtrInMtl is on a distinguished road
You did good! Tasteful mods (exhaust/hugger/windshield/levers/signals) make up for the scratched cover I'd say. Would have been nice to keep both bikes (I keep an 82 750 Nighthawk as a cruiser/cargo/backup bike) but if I had to keep one bike forever it would be the Hawk for sure.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wicky
Looks goods!

Download the Honda Service manual to get the specs inc the stock gearing

98-03_VTR1000F_NoRestriction.pdf

VTR1000F Honda Service Manual OCR.pdf

PO is right fuel consumption is not the best, steady cruising can increase mpg by 10-15%. Check the airfilter and poor jetting set up can make fuel consumption soar. 80-90 to fuel light range is about the norm.

Have the OEM CCTs been upgraded to manuals and also make sure the R/R is at least a later finned version - or ideally a MOSFETs. While you're doig the fork seal it will be a good chance to replace fork bushes, replace oil and install upgraded springs to suit you weight and riding style.

To cover the clutch cover cosmetic damage and give some extra protection look at getting a Carbonadi cover.
Thanks! Downloaded the manual yesterday so I could figure out how to replace the headlight bulb (aka...how to get the fairing off). I'll be pulling off the gear to get at the R/R in the near future so I can see what's up with that...if it's not finned, I'll plan to replace. Might setup the forks, gonna be in there anyway. I'll have to search the boards for recommendations for a 200lb guy. Thinking of Buell pegs, since the current height can be a bit rough on the legs, doubt I'll use a bunch of "usable" clearance (least for my riding style). And thanks for the Carbonadi covers, I'll check them out!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by VtrInMtl
You did good! Tasteful mods (exhaust/hugger/windshield/levers/signals) make up for the scratched cover I'd say. Would have been nice to keep both bikes (I keep an 82 750 Nighthawk as a cruiser/cargo/backup bike) but if I had to keep one bike forever it would be the Hawk for sure.
Its nice to have a few bikes...had three in the garage for a bit, an 02' SV650, 85 Nighthawk 650, and the 750 Magna I just got rid of. If I didn't have to worry about work and a family, I'd find time to take care of 3 bikes...but it seemed like I spent most of my time in the garage doing maintenance and less time riding...plus the costs go up quick when you have 6 tires to replace instead of 2...or even 4. Hopefully in the future, I'll be able to grab a second bike to put in the stable.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Back Marker

VtrInMtl is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Downloaded the manual yesterday so I could figure out how to replace the headlight bulb (aka...how to get the fairing off). Thinking of Buell pegs, since the current height can be a bit rough on the legs, doubt I'll use a bunch of "usable" clearance
You can do the bulb without removing the fairing, done it a few times.

and +1 on the Buell pegs, I did it and makes a big difference, and like me no chance of dragging em anyway.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by VtrInMtl
You can do the bulb without removing the fairing, done it a few times.

and +1 on the Buell pegs, I did it and makes a big difference, and like me no chance of dragging em anyway.
You must have much more flexible/skinnier arms than I...that or your horn is mounted in a different (more correct) location. The chrome horn I found directly under the front of my fairing doesn't look stock, and the instrument panel is a bit tight for me to fit my hands/arm around it.

Was looking at the Buell pegs in some other threads, are those XB12S pegs? I know that was a huge item to purchase for SV riders who were above 6'. I'm lucky to not have that problem, but even at 5'10" it's a bit cramped.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM
MotoGP

I'm 6' plus and have big *** hands, and not that skinny or flexible really, and I can do it with ease, so either things are very non-stock, or you are just a wee bit less lazy than me...
Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Squid

LoL, I'll have to look again at the routing of the wiring...anyone have a stock photo to compare to?

Considering a guaranteed crash at some point, there's no guarantee that things were ever put back to fully "Stock"...and if there's a better way to relocate the wiring for a more stock fit, I'd love it.

Also, during the fairing removal, I learned that the two bottom clips to secure the fairing to the bike are missing. Might have to visit the dealership to see if they have something I can nab to better secure the fairing. It doesn't appear to move around much, but none is better than not much Luckily, all mounting tabs are still there and intact, on both the fairing and the frame.