General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Let the mods begin

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
Let the mods begin

I got knee surgery almost 2 weeks ago and haven't started the Hawk in about 3 weeks so I went down earlier to fire it up and the battery was dead. Took it in to AutoZone and they said it was kaput so I just called Motowheels and ordered the Speedcell battery. I was going to get the 11oz one but after talking to the sales rep ended up going with the SBK instead which is 1.7lbs. That's still almost 8lbs. lighter as the stock battery weighed in at 9.5lbs. The customer service is excellent at Motowheels as he gave me free shipping since he couldn't offer a discount on the battery and he said he's going to ship it today. You can't beat that with a stick.

The Speedcell is way smaller than the stock battery and since I still have the factory undertray in the bike I'll have to take it out and make my own to fit the new battery. I guess I'll be picking up some carbon fibre this week or next and getting to work on this. I'd buy an undertail but I plan on eventually swapping it out for something else. If it comes out nice enough I'll make a mold so I can replicate it.

I'll post pics when I get to working on it. I've been tossing around some other carbon ideas for the Hawk since there really isn't much available for it and maybe this will be the kick in the *** I need to actually get working on this stuff.
________
MAGIC FLIGHT LAUNCH BOX PORTABLE VAPORIZER

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:30 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
I was planning on doing the same but never got around to it. I was going to add a bunch more trunk space but try to keep the look from the sides. I was going to make a mold when done so I could duplicate them. Good luck I'll be watching.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Back Marker

The Speedcell already showed up! Here it is in my hand and it's as thick as 2 C batteries side by side. It's about 1/3 the size of the stock battery. Now it's time to start working on the new undertail and battery box.

________
big women Webcam

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Back Marker

Here's what I ordered today and when it shows up I'll get started on not only the undertail but the rest of the bodywork as well. I like the look enough that I want to do the whole bike with this stuff.

It's blue and black carbon/kevlar hybrid

I also ordered some of this silver to do accents on my silver Chrysler 300. I've also thought about making frame covers with this stuff but I'll wait until it shows up to see what it actually looks like. I would also have to file down the gorilla welds in the trellis section of the frame to make decent covers.

________
******* EXTREME

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:12 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Those Speedcell batteries are really sweet. A EE that I work with is thinking about putting together a couple himself. If you buy the cells you can build those batteries for about half of what Speedcell charges. Speedcell is making a killing on them!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:50 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Those Speedcell batteries are really sweet. A EE that I work with is thinking about putting together a couple himself. If you buy the cells you can build those batteries for about half of what Speedcell charges. Speedcell is making a killing on them!
yeah, and a substantial weight savings to boot. Sounds like a winner. Keep us informed on your colleague's battery build.