General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Improvising

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Improvising

My son and I were loading up our dirt bikes to go dirt biking last summer, when I noticed that the cap was missing from my coolant resevoir. I realized that I left it on the floor, and it was now swepted up and somewhere in a garbage dump. I did not have a spare, what to do? I noticed that the cap on my bottle of Coke looked to be about the right size, so I tried it on, and sure enough it screwed right on (and it was red)! I took it back off, drilled a small vent hole in it, and off we went, without mention by me of what a dope I was for losing it in the first place.

Lets hear your improvising stories. Thanks.

JB
Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Have you seen the film "Dust to Glory"? Tecate beer can and a zip tie.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:56 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it was summer of '72. My buddy and I were cruising in Eastern Washington, near Yakima. It was saturday, after 5:30pm. I was riding my 1970 Triumph Tiger and my buddy on his '68 Triumph. We were both sitting comfortably on our Bates Solo seats when he gives me a signal that his bike has a problem. We pull on to the shoulder. I remember there was nothing nearby that could offer any hope for repair parts. The evening light was that wonderful golden color as we sat down to discuss the event that made him want to stop. It was a quick diagnosis. His primary drive chain was smacking the inside of the housing and would cause serious damage if it wasn't adjusted. After an attempt to draw up the tensioner, it was obvious that the tensioner bolt was broken, so we pulled off the primary cover and indeed the long through bolt that bowed the tensioning surface up into the bottom of the primary chain had broken. Even if there had been a hardware store open, they would have nothing like that. As we sat there on the side of the road pondering our options, it struck me that all we really needed to do was to bow the tensioner surface into the primary chain. But, what to use? Sitting there I noticed there were lots of smooth river rocks laying about. I picked up one. It didn't fit, so I pulled a smaller "part" from the supplies at hand. It fit very well. Feeling pretty confident, we buttoned her up and gave it a test run. It was magical. It worked perfectly. We finished our weekend riding to the Colombia Gorge and then up through the backside of Mt. Rainier and on to Seattle. To my knowledge, the rock was still in place when the bike was sold some time later.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I've done a lot of improvisation over the years. The most recent:

My buddy has an 03 Yamaha R1. His stator was toast so he came over to get some help wrenching. Off comes the fairings, sidecover, and rotor bolt. Service manual says you need a special tool to get the rotor off. Simple tool - basically a big bolt with a 20 x1.5mm thread. Now, I've got a lot of crap in my garage, assorted nuts, bolts, washers galore from years of wrenching on bikes. Nothing! Not a single bolt that size. So we contemplate continuing the event the next day. I'm sitting there looking at my latest project, the VF500 Interceptor, and notice the rear axle is about the same size. Out comes the calipers and thread pitch gauge, off comes the wheel, and off comes his rotor! Of all things....
Old 06-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
I carry a small role of baling wire and wire cutters in all me vehicles, including my SH. You can fix many things with that stuff, including holding your buddies fairing to it mounts after he wrecks his bike. I guess I got that habit growing up in south eastern Idaho. Farmers can keep almost anything running with a role of baling wire.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:41 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bytes
I carry a small role of baling wire and wire cutters in all me vehicles, including my SH. You can fix many things with that stuff, including holding your buddies fairing to it mounts after he wrecks his bike. I guess I got that habit growing up in south eastern Idaho. Farmers can keep almost anything running with a role of baling wire.
It begs the question why no one makes things out of bailing wire and duct tape to start with.. then it'd never break
Old 06-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road

When you are miles from anywhere and you have fallen off and broken the clutch lever.....
Old 06-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
a while back my buddies girlfriend ha left her lights on and killed her battery out in the middle of nowhere so my buddy bout some 12 gauge wire in his truck bed that he hooked from his truck to her car as a make shift battery charger/jumper cables it took a bit to charge but worked.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:46 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Way back when a friend and I were riding from Phila. to South Florida in January.

Temperature high thirties and rain ahead. Too poor to buy rain suits.

Answer? A box of Hefty Bags and a roll of duct tape. Torso gets a bag with holes cut for head and arms. Legs and arms each get a bag. Wrap entire bagged self enthusiastically with duct tape to preclude wind ripping off plastic. Pay special attention to head/arm cuts in torso bag and places where arm/leg bags mate with torso bag. Looked ridiculous, worked fine.

Last edited by RK1; 06-16-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:39 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
no pictures of this?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:41 AM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
On a group ride some years ago a buddy crashed his Shawk on the right side and punctured the clutch cover with a hole about the size of a nickel.
Looking for something to plug the hole found an old tire in a nearby ditch.
Cut a piece out of the sidewall slightly larger than and the shape of the hole, squeezed it into place and covered it up with duct tape.
Rode another hundred miles on that repair to get home.

Coming back from the canyons saw this guy pushing his Duc along PCH. I pulled over to find out that he had run out of gas after he had lost the shift lever pivot bolt and had been stuck in 2nd gear until he was saved by running out of gas.....
I was on my BMW GS which meant a siphon hose and nice tool kit under the seat. (The backbone frame tube is great for stashing long stuff, like cables and hoses) Got him some gas and started looking for a way to get the shifter working. Looked like I needed an 8mm bolt with about a 15-18mm diameter shoulder for the pivot. Started looking around the bike and noticed that the rear brake pedal pivot bolt might fit the bill. Unbolted the pivot bolt and installed it on the shift lever, perfect fit.

Like the screw driver clutch lever in a previous post, there's always something around that can get you out of a pinch, just ask yourself 'what would MacGyver do ?'

Last edited by kai ju; 06-16-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Just a couple days ago I lost the peg on the shiftlever... An M6 and a locknut from the rear pegs of another riders bike got me home...
Old 06-16-2010, 01:01 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kai ju
...Like the screw driver clutch lever in a previous post, there's always something around that can get you out of a pinch, just ask yourself 'what would MacGyver do ?'
These are great stories, I stash them away in case I need them someday. I may be unpopular with this opinion, but I alwys thought that MacGyver was a DB. Anyone share that opinion? Thank you. JB
Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by residentg
These are great stories, I stash them away in case I need them someday. I may be unpopular with this opinion, but I alwys thought that MacGyver was a DB. Anyone share that opinion? Thank you. JB
I was wondering whether I might get some flak about the MacGyver reference.
Now I know......
Old 06-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

Speaking of MacGyver. My wife and I were driving home in the rain and she blew the fuse to her headlights. What would MacGyver do? Well, he would get the foil from a stick of gum and make a new one. MacGyver rocks.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:19 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by peterpanic
no pictures of this?
I wish, but no. With a few inches of winter clothing underneath, we looked like a pair of Black Michelin men, or Pillsbury Dough boys or something.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

July 03, 2010 Improvisation.

My son and I were riding from Salt Lake City to Coalville on I80 just to kill some time. The pivot bolt on his 250 ninja shift lever fell out and started bouncing down the freeway, I saw approximately where it fell so when we got stopped both of us went back to look for it. No luck, but we did find an old hardwood dowel that looked to be about the same size as the bolt that fell out. We jammed it in the old bolt hole, took some of the handy baling wire that I always have with me and jerry rigged it good enough to get home. About 60 miles. A major pain in the *** averted. Would have been a long ride in first gear