General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

IM SELLING MY 99 SUPERHAWK WITH NO LUCK

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:15 AM
DUKER9968
Squid

FIVESTARKID is on a distinguished road
IM SELLING MY 99 SUPERHAWK WITH NO LUCK

hey everyone!!!! unfortunately, i have to sell my hawk because its bothers my back. i have had it for sale for a couiple of weeks now and was wondering why there hasnt been any interest. is there a big market for these or is it pretty limited? im asking 4450, it has 11k on it, geared, jet kit, $400 sargent seat, flush mounts (to be installed), integrated tail ( to be installed), new pilot powers, new chain, new sprockets, tank bra, chrome bar ends...any input/help would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Your probably asking too much
Old 05-28-2009, 05:13 AM
Back Marker

nfbzike
like post above. probably asking too much. These bikes are hard to sell. I sold my 98 with mods in nice shape for 2900 with 25k miles. and my 03 with 5K in pretty good shape for 3700. The 03 took a while to sell. Just not a huge market. Adversite is as a cbr1000f superhawk.... little white lie but maybe it will get people out looking and loving.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:35 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
You're asking way too much. KBB is $2740 trade in, $4k retail. May not be what you want to hear but something more like $3k is alot more realistic. When I sell my '99 in the near future that's what I hope to get for it. Accessories and new tires, etc are a great selling point but aren't really going to add any value.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:18 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
yeah it sucks our bike don't have much monetary value when you want to sell, but great when you want to buy .
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i'd get more for my '98 if i parted it out than selling it whole.

tim
Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
You're asking way too much. KBB is $2740 trade in, $4k retail. May not be what you want to hear but something more like $3k is alot more realistic. When I sell my '99 in the near future that's what I hope to get for it. Accessories and new tires, etc are a great selling point but aren't really going to add any value.

+1 sucks to be upside down after years of payments...
Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Everyone here is right - I live right down the road from you and bought my 99 W/6k miles and carbon Microns for $3600 in september. The bike was perfect and other than the mods, looks like it came off the showroom floor.
Then the economy went to crap. $3k is the best to hope for in Glenville.

On a separate note, tell me about your sargent seat. If it is in good shape, I'll buy it and toss in my OEM if you need it.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I'm interested in the seat as well. what kind of flush mounts are you putting on?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 AM
DUKER9968
Squid

thanks for the input, sounds like i am going to have trouble selling it, my bad for not doing a little more research before buying, im more of an impulsive buyer. maybe ill just keep it for the short crazy rides and take the cruiser for the longer, relaxing rides. as far as the flush mounts, im not sure what brand they are, (they are in the garage right now) i bought them off of ebay and they were for the vtr1000. bought an integrated led tail light with a built in led plate light so that should be pretty cool once installed. almost didnt change any of it because if i did keep it i thought it might be worth more dowm the road as a collectors item, you never know, just cant deal with the huge turn signals poppping out at me. as far as the value goes, i did kelly blue book and the retail is $4000. i have shoped for many bikes recently and it seems that people are getting away with selling bikes for more than retail. i dont know how many times i have said to someone that they are over book and they dont care. maybe that is the market around here this time of year, so i might get lucky ans sell it for 4k or better. i paid 4100 for it but it was worth it to have a 1000 sport bike for that amount of money. even the older racers command around that price so i figured it was a fair price. well see what happens
Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 AM
DUKER9968
Squid

as far as selling the seat goes, that wont help me with the resale of my bike. having the $400 seat on there can only help matters. love my sargent seat, i wont give that up but recommend anyone to get one if you got the coin!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM
DUKER9968
Squid

Originally Posted by captainchaos
being that you dont see these to often i figured they would be a little more desirable and people would pay a little more to get them. maybe many people dont know what the hell they are. i never knew what this bike was until i got one, now i can really appreciate it for what it is. if you asked me three weeks ago what a superhawk was i would have guessed a giant bird???? ha ha
Old 05-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FIVESTARKID
as far as selling the seat goes, that wont help me with the resale of my bike. having the $400 seat on there can only help matters. love my sargent seat, i wont give that up but recommend anyone to get one if you got the coin!
I don't think it will matter much if you have a corbin seat or a stock. I kind of think the corbin's are ugly for the SH's.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
i have to sell my hawk because its bothers my back. i have had it for sale for a couiple of weeks now
if you asked me three weeks ago what a superhawk was i would have guessed a giant bird????
How much have you ridden it?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I've had mine for sale for 6+ months @ $3000 and NUTHING.. Not much of a market for used superchickens apparenlty!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Biggest problem is it is ten year old tech. Bikes have come a long ways in those years. Example: 1999 Mustang Cobra 4.6 motor made 315horsepower. 2009 Nissan 370Z 3.7 makes 332hp and gets 25 miles to the gallon.(sorry for the car reference). Most kids dont know how great and much fun a Superhawk is. All anyone knows today is CBR this GSXR that. My Superhawk was one of the most entertaining bikes I have ever owned. Problem is that my Gixxer 600 is faster to ride on the road or track and more comfortable. Too bad it couldnt sound as great as the Superhawk.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
If you're willing to wrench on a Superhawk you can build a Ducati killer in about 8 weeks. Our V-twin versus their V-twin - NFW! You gotta get your helmet out ahead of the windscreen to do this but the Superhawk is all over this. If you give me 200 yards - you been had.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
here is a '98 w/16K in the bay area for $3,000 (does seem a little low though with all those mods)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/1190269885.html

Hey 5starkid, what year is your Hawk?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HawkFanatic

Hey 5starkid, what year is your Hawk?
wow, dude: read the title of the first post, lol!:thum bsup::l aughing2:
Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
get a back brace a keep riding!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:09 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rooster
Biggest problem is it is ten year old tech. Bikes have come a long ways in those years. Example: 1999 Mustang Cobra 4.6 motor made 315horsepower. 2009 Nissan 370Z 3.7 makes 332hp and gets 25 miles to the gallon.(sorry for the car reference). Most kids dont know how great and much fun a Superhawk is. All anyone knows today is CBR this GSXR that. My Superhawk was one of the most entertaining bikes I have ever owned. Problem is that my Gixxer 600 is faster to ride on the road or track and more comfortable. Too bad it couldnt sound as great as the Superhawk.
if it was all about the latest and greatest and fastest for everyone, Superhawks would be long gone and this forum would not exist. Many riders seem to think that the bike is the major variable relative to how fast they can go and how they are perceived by others and consequently must align themselves with the herd in availing themselves of the biggest and baddest and newest models.

Fortunately, there are those, albeit a significantly smaller number, who are less shallow in terms of how they perceive themselves and others and therefore have more mundane notions of what constitutes a good motorcycle. I think that many of us have a love relationship with the hawk and it's personality similar to someone you love overtime regardless of specific shortcomings in comparisons with others. It is a relationship built on traits of the superhawk such as torque and engine braking and the exhaust sounds and feel and how it allows you to ride in a relaxed zone as opposed to grabbing brakes and gears in setting up for and exiting turns and listening to that obnoxious high pitched whine of the in-line fours.

Naturally, if it's all about being number 1 or beating your buddies, whether on the street or on the track, then one must seek every advantage he can; the truth is, however, that good riders on lesser bikes can usually stay with or ahead of poor riders on faster bikes, and there are many more poor riders out there.

selling the superhawk is a challenge for the above reasons and the fact that many are reluctant to buy a bike that is out of production and considered obsolete. Ten year old tech is not an issue for many of us, especially considering that in-line fours are deficient in the some of attributes we seek. Now this will certainly change in the future and there is evidence of this in the new R1 with its increased low rpm torque, a characteristic some of us appreciated the first time we rode the Superhawk and, in that respect, maybe we're not so far behind after all.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
nath981 well said.
I would add the the new CRB1000 is hell for strong in the mid range but I still agree with what you said.

I also can say that some friends with faster bikes cannot out drag me ( on the VTR or my VFR750) apparently because they can't keep the gas on; the front end comes up and they back off while I plow straight ahead (and there is my elf like reflexes off the line ). Of course I never exceed the posted speed limit. JIM
Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I think it's just a simple matter of depreciation, period. Something 10 years old is going to be worth less no matter what (with a very few exceptions like instant classics-'93 cobra,etc). An '09 ninja 500r is also worth more than a '99 superhawk and there is no comparison performance or tech-wish. Any other bikes from '99 aren't really worth much more, and if they are it's only because they cost more brand new.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Nose Picker
Back Marker

996SSVTR is on a distinguished road
Last Septmeber I purchased my 98 with 17000 for 3100, I feel that I was a fair deal. I think that the price you set on yours is alittle high, only because people dont really know anything about the SH and the trend just like everyone else has been saying is Inline fours. I thing you have a pretty solid bike, but you cant add to the sale price the cost of new tires, seat, lights, or any bells and wistels, because people in this economy dont care about all that...they can get that stuff later. Bottem line, if you need to sell it, lower the price, but if you dont have to enjoy it alittle longer.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:16 PM
MotoGP

Thumbs up

hey everyone!!!! unfortunately, i have to sell my hawk because its bothers my back. i have had it for sale for a couiple of weeks now and was wondering why there hasnt been any interest. is there a big market for these or is it pretty limited? im asking 4450, it has 11k on it, geared, jet kit, $400 sargent seat, flush mounts (to be installed), integrated tail ( to be installed), new pilot powers, new chain, new sprockets, tank bra, chrome bar ends...any input/help would be greatly appreciated...thanks
take everything off and replace with OEM if you have it, and sell the extras on ebay or on here, then you can lower the price a little and still come out with what you're asking. that is, if you don't mind working a little.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jim TT
nath981 well said.
I would add the the new CRB1000 is hell for strong in the mid range but I still agree with what you said.

I also can say that some friends with faster bikes cannot out drag me ( on the VTR or my VFR750) apparently because they can't keep the gas on; the front end comes up and they back off while I plow straight ahead (and there is my elf like reflexes off the line ). Of course I never exceed the posted speed limit. JIM
yeah, i had a "62" norton atlas 750cc,engine modded and geared for 140mph@7000rpms in fourth gear, stripped down for min weight(alum wheels and fenders, straight bars, fiberglass seat, etc. I'd beat someone in a race and they would say that the bike was the difference. So we'd switch and I'd beat them with their bike and really **** them off. Doesn't always work that way but more than you'd think.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:15 AM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
if it was all about the latest and greatest and fastest for everyone, Superhawks would be long gone and this forum would not exist. Many riders seem to think that the bike is the major variable relative to how fast they can go and how they are perceived by others and consequently must align themselves with the herd in availing themselves of the biggest and baddest and newest models.

Fortunately, there are those, albeit a significantly smaller number, who are less shallow in terms of how they perceive themselves and others and therefore have more mundane notions of what constitutes a good motorcycle. I think that many of us have a love relationship with the hawk and it's personality similar to someone you love overtime regardless of specific shortcomings in comparisons with others. It is a relationship built on traits of the superhawk such as torque and engine braking and the exhaust sounds and feel and how it allows you to ride in a relaxed zone as opposed to grabbing brakes and gears in setting up for and exiting turns and listening to that obnoxious high pitched whine of the in-line fours.

Naturally, if it's all about being number 1 or beating your buddies, whether on the street or on the track, then one must seek every advantage he can; the truth is, however, that good riders on lesser bikes can usually stay with or ahead of poor riders on faster bikes, and there are many more poor riders out there.

selling the superhawk is a challenge for the above reasons and the fact that many are reluctant to buy a bike that is out of production and considered obsolete. Ten year old tech is not an issue for many of us, especially considering that in-line fours are deficient in the some of attributes we seek. Now this will certainly change in the future and there is evidence of this in the new R1 with its increased low rpm torque, a characteristic some of us appreciated the first time we rode the Superhawk and, in that respect, maybe we're not so far behind after all.
Wow! Scratching my head on this one. I never thought I was shallow because a replaced my wrecked Superhawk with something different. Because I wanted to try something other than a twin. Because there are other great bikes out there. But I guess in your eyes if you get a bike that staight off the showroom floor is a very good bike without any mods you are considered a sellout. I want to try different models and different brands in the sportbike world. If all you ever rode was a Superhawk how would you know its a great bike? In my time I have rode severl different bikes and have come to the idea that for the street I like a V tiwn better than most others. Thats why I bought a Ducati S4R (used). And if Honda made a bike that looked like the Monster I would be first in line for it. I thought the only "shallow" people on the World were Harley riders. To the OP good luck selling your bike.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:01 PM
MotoGP

Wow! Scratching my head on this one. I never thought I was shallow because a replaced my wrecked Superhawk with something different. Because I wanted to try something other than a twin. Because there are other great bikes out there. But I guess in your eyes if you get a bike that staight off the showroom floor is a very good bike without any mods you are considered a sellout. I want to try different models and different brands in the sportbike world. If all you ever rode was a Superhawk how would you know its a great bike? In my time I have rode severl different bikes and have come to the idea that for the street I like a V tiwn better than most others. Thats why I bought a Ducati S4R (used). And if Honda made a bike that looked like the Monster I would be first in line for it. I thought the only "shallow" people on the World were Harley riders. To the OP good luck selling your bike.
If you think that the only "shallow" people on the World were Harley riders, you may have answered you own questions.