General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I thought Superhawks were rare

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:56 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
I thought Superhawks were rare

I saw one in Yorktown Heights last month, one in New Paltz last week and one in Yonkers today. Any of these members? All of these were in NY.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not that they're rare.
There just aren't that many of them.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:15 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I also think a good ratio of owners actually ride them places. I know I do.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
Compare to a CBR, Gixxer or any I4 for that matter, i'd think they are.
And that is one of the major appeals to me. Besides the fun factor
Old 09-04-2009, 08:07 AM
JPP
Superstock

All these folks i've run into have all been hardcore fans of the bikes. I know I am. It's a joy to ride.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:15 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
That's why we ride them so often "smiles per miles" I am nearly at 51k miles, road 6000 miles this summer nearly all of those miles where on the weekends.
. Springbubba and I covered alot of miles together and we saw maybe 4 sightings of other superhawks.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:59 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by JPP
I saw one in Yorktown Heights last month, one in New Paltz last week and one in Yonkers today. Any of these members? All of these were in NY.
you ride around New Paltz? I went to college there. great roads if you know where to look. used to make the run over Minowaska and chill at a pulloff overlooking Kerhonksen. do you know that one hairpin turn on your way up? Bob Dylan ran a bike right off that and into the woods once. I almost did too my first time up it.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
you saw 2 other VTRs and dont think its a rare bike?

how many gsxr's and ninjas did u pass? HD cruisers?

i've only seen 2 other hawks riding, and thats both on the same day as we went on a local group ride.

i'm the only VTR i see 99% of the time, and 90% the only V-twin Sport bike, the other almost always being an SV
Old 09-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Back Marker

Ohio Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
A few years ago at the "Super Hawk Rally" (Deals Gap) I had people walk up and ask do you guys know each other because I have never seen this many Hawks at one place before...I couldn't help myself I just had to say it..." No we all just happened to be here" LOL
Attached Thumbnails I thought Superhawks were rare-img_0016.jpg  

Last edited by Ohio Hawk; 09-04-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
I'm in North Chicagoland and in 3+ years that i have been riding motorcycles i've seen 2 VTRs and probably 4 RVTs
Old 09-04-2009, 04:15 PM
JPP
Superstock

Those roads were a blast. I want to do the Hawks Nest ride this fall. Looks great. I know there are a few other Hawks within a few hours from here(10598)that post here. I want them to invite them to our 8th annual Car/Bike/Tractor/contraption Show we do the first sunday in October. We get a bunch of old Brit bikes and collectables. It's a home grown show that we started after a "meeting" at my Bar. It has grown steadily in 8 years to quite a show. Beer's free for participants. www.prattsinn.com Hope to see some hawks that day.
jp
Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
not only are Superhawks rare, but those who love them are rare too. Most riders in the US seem to be more concerned with what others think of what they're doing/riding rather than objectively satisfying themselves. Many of the Hawk riders on this forum seem to be of the latter group, that is, they don't really give a **** about following anyone but themselves. When you get something thats right like the Superhawk, you keep it, appreciate it, use it, and love it no matter if no one else does.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
i but 3000 miles on mine in last 2 months, all back road curve riding, i work 6 days a week b/w 60 and 80 hours a week
Old 09-14-2009, 02:23 PM
JPP
Superstock

You must be in the restaurant bis like me. I only work 10 hours on my one day off a week. I Live 6 minutes by foot from my place so riding the hawk to work only depresses me. Sundays with no parties and little reso's mean 6 hours on the bike before work while wife and kids are in church. Sadly, this has only happened 3 times this summer.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:37 AM
Squid

Jayquob is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
It's not that they're rare.
There just aren't that many of them.
He has the skill, but does he have the natural ability?
Old 08-23-2022, 04:42 AM
Squid

I live near buffalo NY area and everyone I see riding, even in the country, are like muscle car guys, they want the fastest newest thing to show off and can only go in a straight line, I'd rather race in the turns and sketchy back roads and could probably out ride a lot of the in line 4s around here....or die I dunno.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:33 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jayquob
He has the skill, but does he have the natural ability?
Quoting from 2009. He might not still be around ya know.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:35 AM
Squid

grampi50 is on a distinguished road
I saw that this thread had been resurrected and it caught my eye as I've been looking at used VTRs. There are quite a few of these bikes for sale on FB Marketplace. There are 10 or 12 listed right now just within about a 100 mile radius of my local area. Of course there are few on there that look like they've been rode hard and put away wet, but there are also a few that look like they've been well maintained and cared for. The asking prices reflect their condition. The most expensive one is a 2005 with less than 10K miles and it still looks brand new. I rode a couple of them that are still listed and they are asking $3500-$4K with less than 20K miles. Both ran good, and both had a few cosmetic flaws, but seemed good mechanically. I am looking for a garage mate for my Gold Wing. I'd like to have something a bit lighter and more sporty just for cruising around in the local area on. My only hang-up with this bike is the riding position. I would need to change the handlebars to make for a more upright riding position, but I want to keep the fairings in tact and still on the bike. I have seen quite a few pics of guys who have done this to theirs, but I'm having a hard time finding out exactly which parts they used....
Old 08-26-2022, 07:31 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by grampi50
I saw that this thread had been resurrected and it caught my eye as I've been looking at used VTRs. There are quite a few of these bikes for sale on FB Marketplace. There are 10 or 12 listed right now just within about a 100 mile radius of my local area. Of course there are few on there that look like they've been rode hard and put away wet, but there are also a few that look like they've been well maintained and cared for. The asking prices reflect their condition. The most expensive one is a 2005 with less than 10K miles and it still looks brand new. I rode a couple of them that are still listed and they are asking $3500-$4K with less than 20K miles. Both ran good, and both had a few cosmetic flaws, but seemed good mechanically. I am looking for a garage mate for my Gold Wing. I'd like to have something a bit lighter and more sporty just for cruising around in the local area on. My only hang-up with this bike is the riding position. I would need to change the handlebars to make for a more upright riding position, but I want to keep the fairings in tact and still on the bike. I have seen quite a few pics of guys who have done this to theirs, but I'm having a hard time finding out exactly which parts they used....
The ergonomics can be improved with different bars, there will be an improvement, but it's not going to be an upright riding position. The only way to achieve that is to cut the fairings and windscreen, which is something I don't think should be done. If you get lucky enough to fine one with different bars to test ride, that might help you decide. Don't know where your interests lie as far as engine character, as there are many sporty, up-right riding position bikes on the market.. Personally, I would be looking at a '13 Ducati Multistrada (Pikes Peak if I could afford it), '06 and later Yamaha FZ1.
You might want to look at:
The reference to Italian bars are Tommaselli in the first link.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...e-again-35961/

https://www.helibars.com/shop-by-bik.../honda-vfr800/
https://www.convertibars.com/category-s/139.htm

Old 08-26-2022, 08:55 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
'05 and earlier FZ1 I think you meant.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:48 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by xeris
The ergonomics can be improved with different bars, there will be an improvement, but it's not going to be an upright riding position. The only way to achieve that is to cut the fairings and windscreen, which is something I don't think should be done. If you get lucky enough to fine one with different bars to test ride, that might help you decide. Don't know where your interests lie as far as engine character, as there are many sporty, up-right riding position bikes on the market.. Personally, I would be looking at a '13 Ducati Multistrada (Pikes Peak if I could afford it), '06 and later Yamaha FZ1.
You might want to look at:
The reference to Italian bars are Tommaselli in the first link.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...e-again-35961/

https://www.helibars.com/shop-by-bik.../honda-vfr800/
https://www.convertibars.com/category-s/139.htm
As far as the handlebar setup, I would want one that brings the bars as far back and up as possible, with out having to remove or mod the fairings...
Old 08-27-2022, 03:31 PM
MotoGP

As far as the handlebar setup, I would want one that brings the bars as far back and up as possible, with out having to remove or mod the fairings...
You should test ride any year Ducati Multistrada. They are comfortable.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:55 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Quoting from 2009. He might not still be around ya know.
Haha yeah I only caught the year of the post after but I still laughed at my own joke 🤣
Old 08-28-2022, 06:37 AM
Squid

You should test ride any year Ducati Multistrada. They are comfortable.
Ducatis are way out of my price range, VTRs are not...
Old 08-28-2022, 07:39 AM
MotoGP

Ducatis are way out of my price range, VTRs are not...
You seeing $500-1000 VTR's?

https://lynchburg.craigslist.org/mcy...518476429.html
Old 08-28-2022, 08:37 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Excellent deal, if the electronics can be sorted easily and cheaply. Wonder if the fuel tank was covered under warranty back when it was new?
Old 08-28-2022, 11:30 AM
Squid

No, most of the VTRs I'm seeing that I would be interested in are in the $3k to $4k price range. I thought you were referring to newer Ducatis. I wouldn't buy a Ducati simply because they require too much maintenance. Hondas are pretty much ride and forget about them...
Old 08-31-2022, 05:06 AM
Squid

Something else I've noticed while looking for used VTRs...there seems to be a lot more '98 models than any other year. Honda must have sold more of them that year than any other. I'd actually like to find an '02 or newer model, as they have some nice upgrades, but there doesn't seem to be as many of those around...
Old 08-31-2022, 05:30 AM
MotoGP

Do you have the ability to look on FB MP? I agree, most out there are 98-00.

Facebook Post
Old 08-31-2022, 06:29 AM
Squid

Do you have the ability to look on FB MP? I agree, most out there are 98-00.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1553013800664/
FB MP is what I've been using...

Quick Reply: I thought Superhawks were rare