General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I think my Engine blew today

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:05 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
Well one thing you have to remember about the dealerships is they get tons of different bikes day in and day out. They generally don't get a lot of one bike and honestly there aren't a lot of Superhawks out there that I've seen. Where on a site like this it's all Superhawks so anyone on the site sees these problems regularly. I was a tech in a shop from '98-'04 and I can't think of one tensioner on any bike that I"ve seen completely fail. I've seen some not give proper tension and replaced a handful on F4's and F2's and even did one on my buddies XX a few weeks ago, but I've never heard or seen one actually bust completely. Then I come on this forun and it seems every other thread is CCT related and lots are busting. Expecting the guys at the dealerships to know every single problem about every single bike is like asking the general subscriber to this forum questions about a Busa. Some may know but most wont.
I think exhaust valves are a little more susceptible just b/c they're bigger. And I was in no way trying to knock dealers... you're right, most have to handle Shadows from the 80's, two stroke CRF's from the 90's, fuel injection 1000rr's from 2012 and everything in between. I was just sayin that you'll often save much troubleshooting and $ coming here first.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Squid

raylohne1 is on a distinguished road
that's true...
what bugged me was that they were like...ohhh...you gotta take what those forums guys say with a grain of salt...(we're the pros...kinda thing)...they absolutely told me NOT to mess with the stock units...that's what got to me...
I can just imagine what a teardown like this would cost a non-mechanic...

Last edited by raylohne1; 04-20-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Squid

raylohne1 is on a distinguished road
OK...ordered up a YZF-R1 RR from Lucky Bike...will do that mod...
bought the APE CCT's from APE...
got a stock head gasket coming...
man...can't wait...thanx for all your help guys...
if you're ever in the chicago area and need car/truck or bike help...
call 847-212-3516
mention this forum and I'll hook your *** up...
Attached Thumbnails I think my Engine blew today-photo0421.jpg   I think my Engine blew today-photo0423.jpg   I think my Engine blew today-photo0366.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS

One other thing I noticed was it seemed that the cross over guide between the cam was close to the exhaust but not the intake. I couldn't get the exhaust cam to jump a tooth so I'm wondering if that bridge was a little longer so that it was close over the tops of the cam sprockets if it would help keep them from jumping and if this would be a worth while modification to prevent this if the tensioners ever did fail.
That's something worth while looking into I think, longer bridge may help prevent this failure. The only thing is, I'm not sure how much cost effective it will be compared with just replacing to manual CCT's...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by raylohne1
Most people who price that one out end up looking at a used motor to swap in as a financially valid alternative.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
that's true...
what bugged me was that they were like...ohhh...you gotta take what those forums guys say with a grain of salt...(we're the pros...kinda thing)...they absolutely told me NOT to mess with the stock units...that's what got to me...

Yeah I know what you mean. It's kind of a double edged sword. On one hand you’ve got the techs that for the most part know what they are doing and generally know the proper procedures for things. On the other hand you’ve got a lot of hack job’s online doing shadetree mechanics in their backyard and posting it all over the internet, which then by many’s standards must be true because they read it online. Then you’ve got the flip side of the dealership techs may not have a lot of specific knowledge on a specific model that’s not overly popular in their area and they don’t see much, and you’ve got forums like this where for the most part the information you get is pretty good because there are a lot of guys all riding the same bike and most all the issues that the bikes have have come up with someone on the forum so they’re much better documented. It’s easy to see how the forum guys hate the shop guys and vice versa! LOL!

Originally Posted by NHSH
That's something worth while looking into I think, longer bridge may help prevent this failure. The only thing is, I'm not sure how much cost effective it will be compared with just replacing to manual CCT's...

I think this would be a case of finding another bike with a longer bridge or maybe even taking a cam chain guide that goes from the crank to the cam's and cutting it down and modifying it to fit more so than trying to manufacture a whole new unit.

With my CCT coming out and bending the front two intake valves I’ve got about $250 into all the repairs from parts to having the guides replaced and valve seats re-cut. But I did all the labor. I’m guessing you’d probably be paying $400-$500 in labor depending on what your local shop rates are so you’d probably be pretty close to the $750 range for the repair if you couldn’t do it yourself!