General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How far off is your speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 07:15 AM
Superstock

mikecronis
How far off is your speedo?

I found my speedometer was off by 7.2 percent (give or take a tenth) when I bought my SpeedoHealer and 15T sprocket ON TOP OF the 6.9 percent the 15-tooth brought on, which means my gas milage was NOT originally 46mpg after all. More like 42.5mpg!!! I'm figuring this is still good though.

Having worked at GPS from 1993-1997 I realize during "war time" selective availability is turned on which means civilian accuracy is intentionally off by about as much as 5% but under sustained conditions it should be closer to 1 or 2%. This is for the baddies to miss targets enough such that bombs don't dead-on targets but military ones do. Enough of an innaccuracy to be a deciding factor without pissing-off the pubilic (even though it IS a courtesy by the AirForce for FREE).

Er.. anyway, I remember reading a few years ago in Cycle World or some such rag that many bikes can be off by up to 10.9% on the speedo, and all of them are set high, not low, due to DOT standards. I suspect companies do this on purpose. Kawasaki was notoriously high with their ZX-10, interestingly, as was Yamaha's R1. Each company seems to set different bikes to different percentage errors, so it's not all the same throughout the company, ie. all Hondas are not 7.2% high, etc., but all Superhawks might be 7.2% high.

With this in mind, I'm wondering and doubting that people getting 37mpg or less are actually getting more like 34mpg due to non-speed-corrected speedometers.

For those that actually went and calibrated, how off was your SHawk?

I found my digital fuel guage blinks red with 3.1 gallons used at 124 miles pretty consistantly now with a few +100mph runs during the cycle with my 15T installed and a 14.1% correction, meaning I'm getting about 40mpg. I could probably squeeze out another 1 or 2 mpg. I expected a small loss due to the constant 5k running speed at 80mph anyway.

Okay, I'm done ranting now!
Old 03-10-2006, 05:03 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
mine is slightly high. not sure by how much....
Old 03-10-2006, 05:59 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Re: How far off is your speedo?

While on a trip to Alberta a few years back on the VTR, I tested the odometer (was running stock gears at the time)on some of the odometer test strips they have on Manitoba highways and found it to be dead-on (for kilometers). I am not sure, however, if the US and Canadian bikes have the same instruments. Also, if you read the Speedohealer WEbsite FAQ section, you will see that they state that typically the odometers on Jap bikes are dead-on or very close to it but that the speedos are generally optimistic. It would seem based on my observations that this is the case with the VTR.

cheers
Mikstr
Old 03-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Squid

ControlFreak

Originally Posted by mikstr";p=&quot
While on a trip to Alberta a few years back on the VTR, I tested the odometer (was running stock gears at the time)on some of the odometer test strips they have on Manitoba highways and found it to be dead-on (for kilometers). I am not sure, however, if the US and Canadian bikes have the same instruments. Also, if you read the Speedohealer WEbsite FAQ section, you will see that they state that typically the odometers on Jap bikes are dead-on or very close to it but that the speedos are generally optimistic. It would seem based on my observations that this is the case with the VTR.

cheers
Mikstr
That's been my experience as well. The speedo is off by 7 or 8 percent and the odometer is dead on.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Superstock

mikecronis

Ah yes! I see! That also explains why SpeedoHealer calculator has a "best comprimise" option! So instead of getting 124 miles on my odometer for a fill-up of 3.1 gallons, I'm really getting (using MS Calculator)... 141.484 miles or ... 45.6mpg! Even WITH the 15T?! My gas milage has improved from 41 mpg to 45.6 mpg?!!! Maybe running at 5k rpms instead of 4k rpms is BETTER?