General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

CBR600RR

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Back Marker

cb21983
CBR600RR

So I have only owned two bikes since I have started riding on the street. My 99' Superhawk and my 01' CBR600F4. Both have been solid bikes and really impressed me but yesterday I rode my buddy's 04' CBR600RR and I've gotta say that I was really impressed with the way it felt and handled. Power wise I think it could really use some more torque but other than that it was flawless. It wasn't till after I rode his bike that I realized though how much I like my Hawk and I like the fact that all I have to do to raise the front tire off the ground is give the throttle a good hard twist. I don't know how anyone can ride that buzzsaw for any type of long ride!!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:48 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: CBR600RR

Funny you should mention a Honda 600RR

A couple of my buddies at work & I were talking about getting a dedicated track bike & they suggested a 600RR.
They said it was fast enough to keep up with the pack & replacement parts are plentiful.

I worry about tearing up my VTR if I crash it on the track.
I like it too much to trash it.....OK, OK...maybe it's "love it" to much to crash it !!

Nightmares of this happening to my S'hawk causes cold sweats !
Old 03-04-2006, 01:37 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cbenson666";p=&quot
So I have only owned two bikes since I have started riding on the street. My 99' Superhawk and my 01' CBR600F4. Both have been solid bikes and really impressed me but yesterday I rode my buddy's 04' CBR600RR and I've gotta say that I was really impressed with the way it felt and handled. Power wise I think it could really use some more torque but other than that it was flawless. It wasn't till after I rode his bike that I realized though how much I like my Hawk and I like the fact that all I have to do to raise the front tire off the ground is give the throttle a good hard twist. I don't know how anyone can ride that buzzsaw for any type of long ride!!
I know how you feel regarding that comparison. my wife's friend was keeping her ZX-636R at my place for a while, and she said I could ride it just to occassionally get the motor running. I took it out and instantly found it lacking in get-up-and-go. it had been a year since I rode a 600cc bike. what a wuss! I had taken for granted my superhawk's almost telepathic ability to instantly overtake traffic at will. this thing... on an open stretch I did let it wind up and there was some umph, but with the motor screaming like that, everybody within 2 miles knew I was trying to go fast. I got it to go fast, but it was way too much of a production. I don't know if I could ever go back to a 600cc bike. maybe the new daytona 675, but only because its got some torque.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Les
Squid

Les

I concur. A guy at work and I swapped bikes one day on the way home from work. He had a YZF 600R. It was a nice bike but I'll take my Hawk over it any day because for everyday street riding I like my power band better. Of course since he is stuck with his YZF he claimed he didn't like the Hawk that much.... :wink:
Old 03-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Back Marker

cb21983
I was just getting pissed off every time I wanted to pass a car on a back road or the highway becuase I found myself downshifting 3 or 4 gears to get decent power.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:59 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CNI Dawg";p=&quot
A couple of my buddies at work & I were talking about getting a dedicated track bike & they suggested a 600RR.
They said it was fast enough to keep up with the pack & replacement parts are plentiful.
If you're wanting to keep it honda, I'd suggest an F4i. It's the chevy smallblock of honda trackbikes but they're nothing compared to the modern gixxer family in terms of parts/availability/swapability.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Back Marker

cb21983
Originally Posted by superbling
If you're wanting to keep it honda, I'd suggest an F4i. It's the chevy smallblock of honda trackbikes but they're nothing compared to the modern gixxer family in terms of parts/availability/swapability.
True! The F4i is a must if you are going to go with an older CBR because the Fuel Injection. I only had the 600F4 and I wasn't as impressed.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:51 AM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
What's the difference between an F4i and a 600RR?
I see more F4i bikes around here than 600RR bikes.

So GXZRs are more plentiful & faster than the Hondas?

Wish I could find another S'hawk that wasn't cosmetically perfect & cheap
Old 03-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

I also rode a friends bike an 04 fz6 wich is a detuned r6 the first thing I noticed was how at highway speeds you have to down shift a few=3 gears to pass a semi Ill ride my superhawk from now on I dont know how I spent so many years on 600s
Old 03-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
Just noticed Im not aSQUID anymore today is a good day ha-ha
Old 03-04-2006, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
but they're nothing compared to the modern gixxer family in terms of parts/availability/swapability.
The gixer and the R6 are the bikes of choice down here. The R6 actually has a slight edge as far as parts and about par in performance.
What's the difference between an F4i and a 600RR? So GXZRs are more plentiful & faster than the Hondas?
The F4I is the Honda version of the FZR and the 600rr is like the R6. The F4i has older tech and isn't as fast, the 600rr is cutting edge tech with all the bells and whistles. Yes the Gixer is faster and has more parts but the difference is usually only exposed by thr best riders. For occasional track days any would be more than servicable since it will take time to exceed the limits of the bike. I've found on the track it's a lot more about the rider than the bike. There's no way I should be eating up an R1 at the track but I can with the wrong rider on it. If you keep your eyes open you can find a salvage title superhawk for cheap. There were a couple on Ebay recently.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 PM
Squid

miken996

could not agree with you more I am so sick about all the hype of these new 600s (they are not real world fast at all) I have riden a 03, 04 and 05 r6s all co workers and have no reason to believe the other brands are any diffrent are total dogs having this thing everywere in the power band down shifting and still just feels like a dog roll on in any grear lower than 7,000 forget it. we were riding down town and it was a short section of road and we had to get to the right lane to turn there was a punk in a volkswagon bus who was slightly ahead of us (and there were cars behind him) did not want us to get over so he speed up my buddy had about 50 ft he was in third gear at 4000rpm nailed it and decided he not have enough poop or time to get passed the bus and get stoped and missed the turn I am not kidding. yah some is inexperience (but he has had his r6 for about 1 year now and 4500 miles on the clock) I have ridden these things and I am not suprised. I ride with these guys all the time and I pull them like a freight train would a match box car. And this mistery power surge that kicks in around 10 grand and ripps your arms off I am still trying to find it 12 grand 13 grand 14 grand 15 grand were is it (at least on the r6). NO THANKS!!!!! I take my mighty hawk and ripp my arms off right off of idle. and thats the truth These bikes may be fast in the quarter mile and on the track but there yugos in the city!! It takes alot of english to be fast off the track on a 600. Its funny I had a 2000 CBR600f4 that seemed to feel way better to me I just think the 600s are getting out of control I believe the next r6 red line will be 17,000 rpm were getting close to F1 now
Old 03-12-2006, 04:33 AM
Squid

imakadoozie

having just moved from a 600rr to a superhawk i might be qualified to respond.

for street riding the 600rr was not a good choice for me. at 6'1" and 225 i found the rr to be a tiny bike, and uncomfortable. my longest rides were about 8 hours in the saddle, and though i survived it was never comfortable. in the city dancing through the gearbox could be entertaining at times, but a chore at others. gear selection is important, and you find yourself either buzzing at 8000rpm in case something should happen, or trusting yourself to the universal harmony and puttering about at 3000rpm. very little happens below 8000rpm. i tried the corbin seat, but it was no good for me since it severely limited my ability to move around on the bike.

on the track all was forgotten. the 600rr is the best track bike for 95% of riders. end of story. at our local track i'd catch the big bikes before the last turn, get left behind on the straight, and pass them by turn 2 - they'd never catch me again before the next straight.

the superhawk is *way* better as a streetbike, and immensely entertaining. i still miss the rr sometimes, but usually only when i'm riding much harder than i should be on the street. the difference in fuel economy is irrelevant to me, since i never got more than about 125 miles on the rr before my butt and wrists were politely requesting a break...

my girlfriend's opinion matters a lot to me, and it might to you too. she thought the rr was drop-dead gorgeous, but hated riding it. she's only 5'5" but found that on the rr her knees were around her armpits (desirable elsewhere, but not on the road), her butt was roasted by the exhaust, and everytime we stopped she slid up my back (again, desirable elsewhere but...). as long as i remember that the superhawk is not a supersport, she loves riding it. she says the vibrations make her feel funny, like when you used to climb the rope in gym class...

and the superhawk on the track? dunno, since i use my track-prepped gsx-750r...
Old 03-12-2006, 12:28 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

I'm pretty sure the 600RR is the track-version of the 600 F4i.

600RR has different than the F4i:

Different fuel-injection system
A little more suspension adjustment
Wheelbase is a tiny bit longer
Seat height is a tiny bit higher
9lbs. lighter
Tiny bit smaller turn-radius
More aggressive seating stance.
Some cosmetic differences like undertail exhaust, etc.
$500 more costly

All this adds to 2 tenths faster 1/4-mile times and 10 more Hp.

This seems to be the difference between, say, my Pontiac Firehawk Trans-Am WU6 and a Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am WS6 (or a Camaro Z28 and Camaro SS [same thing pretty much]).
Old 03-13-2006, 10:50 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by imakadoozie";p=&quot
her knees were around her armpits (desirable elsewhere, but not on the road)

lol good one