General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

How about it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Squid

RedSupHawk is on a distinguished road
How about it?

Im interested in buying a 01 Super Hawk with 21000 miles on it. Its fell over once, scratching the rear view, 1 inch scratch on the right plastic, and about a quarter of an inch scratch on the housing. The seller has maintence records and used the bike as a commuter from Louisiana to mississippi. Its in great shape besides the drop scratches. Seeing that you guys(girls) have bought one before you probably know what there worth more than i do. How many miles can i get out of it without any problems and is it worth 3400 cash.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Squid

I forgot to mention the rear tire has a plug. What cha think fellas?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
i paid more for a 99 model only about a yr ago. i would say if its something you want and it seems to be in good condition then its prolly worth it. though it wouldnt hurt to try an haggle a bit an maybe get it for 3k, especially if u hav cash. also plugs in motorcycle tires worry me. try looking it up on kbb and see what it suggests as a good price.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, what Zed said. Plan on replacing the tires. Try to get the price lowered to offset the price of a set of good tires. That could be $300 to $400 dollars if you pay full retail and have a dealer do the work.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Squid

His asking price was $4,200 and I talked him down to 3,400. The maintence records were convincing, the rumble as it started up was nice too. I was confident about the price until I saw 04 models with low mileage going for 5k. After putting texas tags, new tires, and fix the dings ill have another 500 in it. So I figure 3,900 maybe 4k said and done. How many miles can I expect out of a well maintained bike before it gets a case f the leaks and spudders? Thanks for the help, spending 4k is a little stressful.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Squid

Nada suggested value is 3600, for a bike needing mechanical and aesthetic work. 4800 for an average bike, but doesnt suggest any value changes with high mileage.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I seen 100,000km with no major issues besides the eventual CCTs (note: cam chain tensioners). That's 62,000mi, I believe. Many others have <30,000mi. You could find many answers by searching.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:56 AM
Squid

YellowHawk is on a distinguished road
I have a '99 with 36,000 mi, and just now really needing to work on it. It has some minor coolant leaks, chain slider broken, new voltage regulator. I drove mine with a patch for a year, no problems. Just check the tire pressure all the time, and keep your speed down. I would offer $3,000 for that one.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:00 AM
Squid

GreyBeard
Check out this link. Check "by mileage" at the bottom; the first couple are obviously typos, but there are several very high mileage Hawks there. Also listed are problems the owner has had with the bike. A very reliable bike.

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/VTR/
Old 03-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Bikes in general, and the SH specifically.. They can go for a long time and never have an issue. Or you could have one of the reoccurring known issues (CCT, Rectifier, coolant leak at the pump) show up today, next month, or never. All three of those issues are easily fixed.

I paid $3900 for a 98 in perfect condition, and less the 4,000 miles. Here in TX little more then a year ago. To me a showroom stock, no flaw, low mileage bike was worth paying top dollar for ($4k is a lot for a 9 year old, slightly dated low market segment street bike)

The cost of fixing cosmetic damage is high. If it fell over,, it may have more then scratches. The body work mounts, tabs, braces ect ect tend to crack or get bent. more so an issue if it fell on something or someone tried to stop the fall by grabbing any thing other then the bars. Look carefully at all of the body work, does it look "off" mis aligned? do the seams not look or fit right?

I would plan on a set of tires. I personally do not ride plugged motorcycle tires, many do.

And yes,, when you add the TX tags and tax it puts the price up there. Bottom line is from what you've told us, the price is not generally to much for that bike.. But only you know what it is worth. Mechanically it should be fine just based on mileage.. Servicing, how it was used/misused, and a tiny bit of luck will have more to do with it's mechanical condition and future reliability.

Where in TX are you buying at? There are a few of us here, perhaps someone could go with you and take a look>? I always bring another set of eyes when buying..
Old 03-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Squid

I live in Conroe/Woodlands area, but im buying the bike in Louisiana. I work over here in la for 3 weeks out of the month. If anyone is in the Baton Rouge area let me know. The link posted above has a ton of information on it, Thx guys. Ive got til tuesday to make up my mind. Im thinking about just taking 3200 with me and If I ride home on it I ride home on it. If not Ill be back on the forum searching the classifieds!!