General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Hopefully I will be official come Friday!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Hopefully I will be official come Friday!

OK, I've got it all set ip and finalized for Friday afternoon to go check out and 99% sure to pick up a one-owner 2002 SH with 11k miles. It has Devil highmounts, frame sliders, grips, new Michelin Pilots (I think the front tire is on backwards, can anyone confirm?), also has K/N filter, jet kit. Comes with Honda VTR service manual, plus a used tank off ebay since the stocker has a small dent (see pics below). Seller says he did all the maintenance himself and used the bike as a weekend toy more or less. He does trackdays wqith a few SV650s and said he doesn't ride on the street much anymore, thus the reason for selling the VTR. He told me he bought it new in 03 and the only time it was down was in a light lowside. He said it was very minor damage and only the plastic got rash. Frame and steering head, forks, etc are fine. He said he did a minro fix on the left side fairing just below the turn signal where the most significant rash areas were. You can tell whatever he used to fix it isn't exactly unoticeable, but also not an eye-sore. The paint he used is a little darker but I'm not too concerned with it. Frame sliders appeared to do their job!

I head out about 8 in the morning and should arrive in Mobile a little over 4 hours later. Got a trailer but I have to go get some tow straps. Can't wait! :twothumbs

Here are some better pics he took for me today. It has a few nicks and one dent in the gas tank. He bought a used good condition gas tank off ebay and he said he will throw that in along with a few extra pieces.

Name:  P5140196.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  P5140198.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  52.4 KB

You can barely see some light scrapes on the passenger side....

Name:  P5140199.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  P5140200.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  81.4 KB

Here is the small dent that I'm not at all concerned about. I'll probably ride with this tank on for a while until feeling like swapping for the good one he is throwing in.

Name:  P5140201.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  73.9 KB

Devil highmount...

Name:  P5140202.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  P5140203.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  92.2 KB

Just below the turn signal is a area that got the most rash on the plastic from the lowside. He didn't match the paint up well but it's hardly noticeable unless you look for it up close. I may buy a left fairing piece later on to replace it. I can live with it like that for now.

Name:  P5140204.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  P5140205.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  P5140207.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:  P5140208.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  P5140209.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  149.4 KB

So, there it is. Hopefully the bike will be as good as I think it is. He says it runs flawless and needs only a new owner to be happy. I plan on buying a pair of CCT's and might replace them at the next valve adjustment interval (I'll have to check the manual to see when that is). What mileage is a good time to think of replacing the CCT with a manual one?

What do you think guys?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:37 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Lookin' good.....especially those Devil pipes.

...and yes....get that front tire switched back around.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:40 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
...and...it wouldn't hurt to change the CCT's ASAP. It's better to change them when it's running fine...rather than finding out the hard way.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:16 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Boy
Lookin' good.....especially those Devil pipes.

...and yes....get that front tire switched back around.
Thanks and yeah I thought that tire looked funny

Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Boy
...and...it wouldn't hurt to change the CCT's ASAP. It's better to change them when it's running fine...rather than finding out the hard way.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. More for a peace of mind kind of thing. My CBRs always had a CCT issue too.

I'll have to search around on here some more for prices of the Honda CCTs and whoever makes a manual one. With the manual, isn't it really just a "set it and forget it" kind of thing? Basically not needing constant re-adjustment after a few thousand miles or does it require maintenance as well? Sorry if its a newb question as ion the past all I've ever done with the CBR CCTs were replace them with the factory Honda ones and let them do their thing until I heard slight chatter, then I knew it was time to replace it for yet another Honda CCT.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:53 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice VTR!

The front tire is on right. The tread pattern is opposite of the rear for braking purposes.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:23 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by inderocker
Nice VTR!

The front tire is on right. The tread pattern is opposite of the rear for braking purposes.

Yup, it seems that's how these Michelins are. It was just wierd looking to me because I don't remember my D207's or Battleaxes being that way. Maybe they were and I just never noticed it LOL

Are the Pilots a pretty decent tire? I've never had a set of Michelins before and have always used Dunlops or Bridgestones.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I just bought a set of Powers for my big trip in July to SHOG and LS MotoGP. They are a very good tire. You will like them.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:02 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I got 5K miles out of my last PP rear tire. I can't recommend 2ct.... but the regular PP seems to be doing me pretty good.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
Pilot Power tires are pretty sweet (Right Hawkrider???). Bike looks good.. Enjoy
Old 05-15-2008, 05:46 PM
SuperSport

Thanks guys for the input on the tires.

It's pretty hard sitting here basically counting down the hours until I head out on the road to go get it! Not having a bike for a little while will make you go sick!

I checked on the CCT's at the local Honda stealership today. Around $80 for each sound about right? Or do most people go with the manual CCTs and if so, what do they generally cost?
Old 05-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
APEs are about $50 each through a guy on ebay. Try a search on the forum. It's here somewhere.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:13 AM
SuperSport

Thanks for the heads up Hawkrider. I'll check on those this weekend and probably buy a pair. Just want peace of mind about the whole CCT thing. Been there n' done that with my CBR 600's I've had.

Well guys today is the day. I leave in about an hour and 45 minutes! I've got a 4 hour drive ahead of me but it will be "smiles for miles" all the way back. I'll be checking my rearview mirror constantly just oogling over the bike on the trailer LOL