General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

high mileage commuters... speak up!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 06:57 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
high mileage commuters... speak up!!

I have a round trip of 135 miles per day on my SH.... not to include my tooling around during the day... and a little on the weekends....

bought 27 June 2005

11,487 miles on the odo

today, 22 Aug 2005

17,855 miles on the odo

6368 miles traveled in less than 2 months

55 days = 115 miles per day average....

I wouldn't have it any other way.... 8)
Old 08-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Back Marker

Utah996
Wow man you do drive a lot! I've had my SH since July of 2004 with 0 miles on it...it currently has 8000 miles on it. And I have had my new RC for just over a week and it has 225 miles on it. But you do have a lot of mile to drive every day...I'm like 7 miles away from work.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
Re: high mileage commuters... speak up!!

yeah.. I know.... 8)

I will tell you this... I have NO TIME for carvin a canyon out here, but my 208's are holding up GREAT so far for all the flat line driving I do.... hardly any wear showing yet...
Old 08-22-2005, 10:34 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
i ride mine everyday, it's my only transportation... but it's only a 14 mile round trip to work
Old 08-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Back Marker

Utah996

Originally Posted by W-O-T";p=&quot
yeah.. I know.... 8)

I will tell you this... I have NO TIME for carvin a canyon out here, but my 208's are holding up GREAT so far for all the flat line driving I do.... hardly any wear showing yet...
Good to hear! Same goes for my 208's! They hold up really well IMO.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Back Marker

Utah996
Originally Posted by inderocker";p=&quot
i ride mine everyday, it's my only transportation... but it's only a 14 mile round trip to work
Damn I should move to AZ...then I could ride everyday.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Squid

LauraLynne
30 miles each way - and I thought I had it BAD! I bought it July 1st with 11,000 miles and now I'm nearly to 17,000. BUT I took it to Laguna Seca (from Seattle) and had a few 500+ mile days in there (11 day trip - 3500 miles total)
Old 08-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Back Marker

bkelsey
70 miles round trip daily. As soon and as late as it's 40°F in the morning.

Anyone running heated grips?
Old 08-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Back Marker

W-O-T
Originally Posted by LauraLynne";p=&quot
30 miles each way - and I thought I had it BAD! I bought it July 1st with 11,000 miles and now I'm nearly to 17,000. BUT I took it to Laguna Seca (from Seattle) and had a few 500+ mile days in there (11 day trip - 3500 miles total)
AHHH!! I havent been to Laguna Seca since 1988!!! We had 72 bikes go up in 9 hours... WHAT A RIDE!!! That was back when I had a GSXR 860 big bore....

I never thought I would see the days of $10 to fill a bike.. and thats daily for me...
Old 08-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Back Marker

thegreep
I never thought I would see the days of $10 to fill a bike.. and thats daily for me...
I get 3 days out of that same 10 bucks. 40 mile drive round trip for me. And since late februrary this has been my only daily driver. Even here in sunny SLC. . .who needs Arizona (ok, so 70 instead of 30 would have been nice).

Greep
Old 08-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Squid

Mithrandir
My old VTR back in Sydney used to do 140-odd km round trip per day. Now, on my XX, I'm not that high with only 40 miles a day. However, I intersperse that with a lot of long distance touring. Just shy of 5000 miles in the last 3 weeks. Bike is 2.5 years old and just short of 40K miles on the clock
Old 08-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Squid

bryantmvtr
wish i had heated grips for this winter. everyday driver/cruiser/stunt bike... bought june 2004, 6000 miles, august 23, around 23000 miles.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Squid

LauraLynne
I've got heated grips....in the package on the workbench gathering dust! Maybe THIS year I'll install them....or not. I've got an electric vest that I run in the winter though.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
I ride every day .. I have a 10 mile round trip to work.. I usually go and mess around after work. I have almost 47K on the old beast now.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:32 PM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
Now that I'm commuting in DC it's ~40 miles per day during the week, and around 100 on either saturday or sunday each weekend. Just rolled 740 in two days on the way up to and around Dayton OH. Turned 10K on the clock on my way up there, Bought the bike new in March last year, but didn't ride for about 6 months last year between my 4-month hiatus due to my wreck (tore 3 of 4 ligaments in left knee), and about 2 months for the Dayton winter. The daily mileage has increase since I moved to DC, but the increased gas price prevents it from being as fun as it should be...
Old 08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Squid

kfkraenz

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned doing an Iron Butt. I did one this spring.... on my BMW. I figure if a couple of guys did 1000 mi in a day on Buells then I should be able to do it on a Hawk. They said their biggest problem was no knowing how far to the next gas station. If they had gone 90mi and saw a gas station, they had to stop because they didn't know if there would be another one in the next 40 mi.

Heated clothes are 10x better then heated grips. If it is cold out, you are going to be wearing heavy gloves that insulate you from the heated grips. I find the only time I use them is when my gloves get wet. The heat helps to dry the gloves out faster, but if your hands are cold, you need to get heated gloves.

I do commute to work every dry day here in NJ, but I only have a 3mi drive to work, so I gotta get my riding in other times. I'm sure everyone has had one of those days were the weather is perfect and it takes 5 hrs to get back from lunch. By that time it isn't worth going back to work, so I might as well take the long way home...
Old 08-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Squid

LauraLynne
Originally Posted by kfkraenz";p=&quot
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned doing an Iron Butt. I did one this spring.... on my BMW. I figure if a couple of guys did 1000 mi in a day on Buells then I should be able to do it on a Hawk. They said their biggest problem was no knowing how far to the next gas station. If they had gone 90mi and saw a gas station, they had to stop because they didn't know if there would be another one in the next 40 mi.
I'm in the midst of planning either a SS1000 or a BBG1500 for my first Iron Butt. Right now money is the issue though since i've been doing track days galore....if I don't get one done this year, then I'll do it next spring Distance on the 'Hawk isn't a big deal except for the fuel issue but there are data bases with gas station locations that it wouldn't be that hard to put together a "station to station" type ride (which on a Hawk would be necassary!!)
Are you following the Iron Butt Rally in progress right now? They left Denver Monday morning....
Old 08-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
I'm on the bike about 45 minutes each way. I like heated grips with middle weight gloves. Toasty digits and you can still feel the bars.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc

Last year My VTR and I did 130 miles a day for 2 years over hwy17 here in Santa Cruz, of course sunny days only, I put 14k on the clock just commuting. Never had one problem! My 93 VFR did a similar commute for 4 years to college SJSU, she only had 63K miles...then I crashed. Everyday was a fill-up w/the vtr, the viffer went 3 days w/out a refill. the viffer almost sent me to my death bed when the rear wheel decided to loose the main nut and back it self out of the swingarm at 80mph. Ya'll can imagine.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Squid

brownrxmd

I've ridden just over 10,000 miles since buying my 98 SH in february, my commute is 45 miles roundtrip 5 days per week and then riding on the weekend, usually a couple hundred on Sat and Sun. I've not had a single glitch with this bike, I replaced the CCT's a thousand miles ago, for no reason, other than outta fear. I love this bike.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:36 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

You guys/gal still have quite aways to go to catch ol' caffeineracer He dwells up in the six digit land.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
You guys/gal still have quite aways to go to catch ol' caffeineracer He dwells up in the six digit land.
wow... who is this 'caffeineracer'?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:44 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by W-O-T";p=&quot
Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
wow... who is this 'caffeineracer'?
He's online now, maybe he'll read this thread and respond.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:51 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
six digits? damn! thats good to know that the hawk will go that far
Old 08-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer

I thought this was for high mileage commuters.
My shawk is pleasure use only, I drive a company service van for Xerox.
I just got back from visiting my brother in San Rafael.
I try to take backroads as much as possible and it works out to about 1100 miles in two days. I guess I do a lot of overnighters to San Rafael and full day rides that have been consistantly adding miles for the 7 years I've had the shawk.
I was surprised to see the odometer reads in six ditgits.
I have 132.K on the shawk now, American Honda said I was the first they'd heard of to hit 100.K on a shawk.

~Jeffers
Old 08-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Squid

Mithrandir
Iron But, you say? Sure. I do that almost once a month. A couple of our clients are in Monterey, I live in Seattle. When I head down there on business trips I normally go down in one day and then take 2 days coming back via all the fun roads. Door to door down the I-5 et al, it's 914 miles and takes me 13.5 hours normally. Anything under 600 miles in a day is a short ride to me. My previous to last trip was to LA. I rode both down there and back as two one day trips. That's just shy of 1200 miles and takes about 17 hours. One of these days I'll actually do the formal paperwork and submit it for the SS1K, but haven't yet.

Quick Reply: high mileage commuters... speak up!!