General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Help me decide.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Squid

p0rnstar is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Help me decide.

Good day to you all. Im a newbie here so please bear with me.
I need opinions as to the pro's and con's of the superhawks twin powerplant compared to that of a big diplacement in-line 4, let's say of a zzr1100.
Reason as to why my sudden interest is that I got a call from someone who wants to trade in his Superhawk for my zzr1100(zx11). His hawk's a '01 model and has 36+++km on it's dial. Looks fresh though with the original paint, signals, cans and everything.

Here's a picture of his vtr...

Name:  c9f1781b.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  79.5 KB

looks pretty neat with the MRA 2bubble, belly pan and rim stripes.

Honestly, I've never ridden a vtwin sport bike, hence the hesitation. How is it compared to in line fours?

Here's what I'll have to give up...

Name:  2cc4d901.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  79.1 KB

Any comments and suggestions will help heaps in deciding. To tell you the truth, curiosity is making me root for the superhawk.

TIA!

Last edited by p0rnstar; 10-27-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Go ride it and you decide.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
^ what he said! I tried a bunch of bikes (most inline 4's and a suzuki tl1000) before "settling" on the hawk. I knew within 30 seconds which one I wanted. The big I4's have higher top end speed, more HP, blah blah blah, but really IMO it's whichever gives the highest grin factor. Someone else can fill you in on the detailed stuff but playing with low end torque and hearing the V-Twin rumble is worth more than a 172.7 mph top speed.

What I really want to know is why he is interested in getting rid of the 'Hawk? May want to investigate that one...
Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The SuperHawk is 80 to 90 pounds lighter. If your weight (160# to 170# max) suits the stock suspension, you should find it better handling. You should find the SuperHawk to have more useable power, but not as comfortable on long rides (upgrading the seat and, for some, adding bar risers helps). And it has less fuel range.

But we all love them here...mostly. Read some of the threads.

Oh yes, and then there's the sound of the V-twin.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
I did a quick search on the specs of your ZZR and you're at about 150hp@10,500 and 80ft/lbs@8,500 and about 540lbs wet. The Firestorm is at about 100hp@9000 and 70ft/lbs@7000rpms and about 450 lbs wet.

Looking at that the you'll be loosing a lot of top end rush but you'll be gaining a lot more driveability. My superhawk cruises pretty smoothly at 2-3k rpms but still has enough power to accelerate out of that low of rpm. Much more like a big v-8 than a bike motor. It's easy to pass other cars with the revs pretty low, say 4500rpms at 100kph the bike just squirts past people. The biggest difference you'll see between the two is the weight and the steering. For a sport twin the Hawk is relatively light. It shares identical frame geometry with the SV650 but has about 40hp more. When setup properly the Superhawk handles a lot like a 600 supersport, very agile and flickable.

Anyway, with all that said go for a ride on it and see if it suits you. Sport twins are IMO the perfect street bike, I should know I've owned almost every model made.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
My neighbor has ZX11. I've ridden it a few times. It's VERY smooth compared to my SuperHawk. Not as much low end grunt, but still plenty of torque to get you by. Much better than modern SS bikes. Everything comes with a jerk and a pull on the Hawk but I like it and it suits my needs well.

The ZX isn't sporty enough for me though. Slow turning. Feels like a 'busa. But it has it's place.

Just my little comparison IMO.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Squid

Thanks for all the replies!

I've asked the owner as to why he wants to pass the hawk on, he told me he's not comfortable with the v-twin powerplant and misses the I4's screams. Anyway we've scheduled a meet up this Saturday and have time to inspect each others bike more meticulously.

I've also put into consideration the power-weight ratios and maneuverability. It's like comparing an m1 Abrams with an H1 hummer. But honestly, I find the ZZR too heavy for daily riding that's why I'm considering the trade. I came across an old article and read regarding the VTR's weight reduction configurations and was quite impressed (http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...hawk-1454.html) which further enticed me to try the bike. Not to mention every owners testimonial regarding it's maneuverability.

Thanks for the opinions and please keep them coming. Can't wait till saturday... you know how bikers get restless

Last edited by p0rnstar; 10-27-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Squid

majordomo490 is on a distinguished road
You have a nice looking ZZR there. I'd keep it. Why trade for an unknown bike from an unknown buyer?
Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Not stock piper on that vtr though...
Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
I went from a 95 zx11 to my hawk now! Its quite a big difference. I rode my zx11 for 42,000 miles and would still be riding it if i didnt total it. You will like the hawk for sure and will be suprised how quick it responds and handles compared to the zzr. The motor of the zx11 is alot more powerfull and has very similar to a little less torque the superhawk. Not to mention the superhawk is much much shorter in wheelbase than the zzr. The riding position is not that much farther forward than the zzr. No comparison the zzr is way smoother in comfort, shifting, and motor than the hawk. I loved my zx11, but I really fell in love with the backroads and track on my superhawk.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Squid

Thanks for all the feedback!

Maneuverability's probably one of the reasons I'm thinking of letting my zzr go. Can't use it as a daily driver (Manila traffic and road layout sucks bigtime). But It's a way comfortable on long hi-speed stretches (where I come from, that means a congested 90km 3 lane "hiway" of which tolls cost as much as a tank of petrol). A lot of twisties in the nearby biker's haven but I find it a struggle to attack the bends aggressively, thanks to the long wheel base no doubt.

Still have 24 hours to decide.

@ tweety - thanks for the heads up, didn't notice that. I'll just have to see how it sounds. But he did say that the original parts weere included in the deal so I presume the stock cans will be there.

Last edited by p0rnstar; 10-28-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:41 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
You wont want the stock cans anyway. They'll just take up room in the garage.