Headlight Maintance

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Headlight Maintance

Well this friday I will break the 10K mark on the shawk.

She has been real good to me.

It dawned on me tonight - after seeing a HD with 3 hearlights on it- that it is time to replace the headlight.

Anyone have suggestions? What is the largest wattage bulb that I can go up to - keeping in mind the shawks weak eletrical system?
Old 06-23-2005, 07:13 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
I have a Sylvania Silverstar H4ST (marked "For Motorcycle Use Only") 60-55W that has made a remarkable improvement.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:42 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot
I have a Sylvania Silverstar H4ST (marked "For Motorcycle Use Only") 60-55W that has made a remarkable improvement.
sick and tierd of my candlestick headlight, i took a trip to my local auto zone, searched and found the H4ST bulb you mentioned but was discouraged by the price. after a bit of debating i bought it. damn am i glad i did! this thing has freakin' *****! good call jschmidt!
Old 06-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
Re: Headlight Maintance

I picked up the same Silverstar bulb on Ebay about 6 months ago at a great price.

Here is the current llisting
on Ebay ....
Old 06-29-2005, 09:19 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

+3 on silverstars.

Although not due to a headlight bulb, after frying on R/R and battery I personally shy away from anything super high wattage. If you do get one, make sure it still has a 55w low beam so you don't fry retinas of everyone in town; especially in the mirrors of the car in front of your at a stop.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:56 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

well the next day (today) after installing the headlight my gauges started going nuts, as a matter of fact my whole elctrical system freaked out. mostly only when i was at speed rather than just sitting still at a light. funny thing is, the whole ride home last night after i installed the bulb the elctrical system was fine. when i got home today i checked for loose wiring but could not find any. took the headlight off and took it for another ride and it seems to have stopped, not sure what the deal is. can a headlight cause this much havoc? or does this sound like a regulator?

p.s. please check out my airbox help thread
Old 06-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
The Silverstar is a great bulb. I had first tried on of the GE bright white bulbs, which is nothing more than a standard bulb tinted blue. The output actually seemed LESS than the original. When I bought my bike 1 1/5 years ago, it had a 100/55. This one made good light on high beam, but I was concerned about frying some electrical part. I was hesitant at first with buying the Silverstar, since the price was around $18.

I now have one on the old GS1000 as well. It really is that much better. Still not the brightest headlight around, due to the lens design or the ChickenHawk, but more than a satisfactory imorovement.

BTW... the ones I have were NOT marked "FOR MOTORCYCLE USE ONLY", they are just the Silverstar H4 sold at the local AutoZone.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Superstock

mikecronis

The PIAA Superwhite is really nice and less yellow. It's more apparent when you compare the smaller "3rd eye" above it. Cost me $24.