General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

hawk vs 1098

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:28 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
hawk vs 1098

i rarely ride my superhawk since i lowered it for my lady. today i decided to take it out to stretch it's legs. i have to say that it is a great bike and every bit as enjoyable as my 1098. it's unintimidating. it makes me feel fast. it makes me feel like i am leaned over further into corners.

all praise the superhawk.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Back Marker

lukenukem47 is on a distinguished road
Hawks are made to be driven hard and are dependable for the most part. Ducati's have a greater chance of being in living rooms as show pieces due to how expensive they are to fix.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 PM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
Me and my buddy were actually at our HondaDucatiSuzukiEveryGodDamnBikeEverMade Dealership on saturday and I must say, I've never really been a fan of any ducati's except for the 1098 and 1198. They only had one up there on some pedestal in a glass case, Mounted like a God amongst motorcycles.

But you know what? I can't see myself pushing a buck into a corner on a Ducati. And I think that's exactly why. It's just a showroom piece.

We stood there and stared at it for at least 5 minutes.

-silence-

Me- "I wouldn't mind having one of those...."

Friend- "Yeah, but it would never leave your living room"

Me- "True"

Friend- "Plus, Like anything made by those damn Italians, it'll only work for a week before something crazy goes wrong that only a specialized mechanic will know how to fix for $500 an hour."

Me- "God I love my Superhawk."

Friend- "Agreed."
Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Squid

drake is on a distinguished road
i have an '04 996 and an '07 vfr. the 996 is one of the best handling and easiest riding bikes i've ever been on. i've had a couple of kawi's but mostly hondas and by far the 996 is my favorite ride.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:13 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
a guy beside me in the track pits was on a beautiful 1098 that only had about 700 miles on it. We were both riding intermediate during an afternoon session when it started to rain. We both crashed. Seeing my hawk beat up and then seeing his 1098 come in on a trailer all beat up....I was glad I only had $2500 in mine!

Mine....................his......
Attached Thumbnails hawk vs 1098-100_6066c.jpg   hawk vs 1098-100_6068.jpg  

Last edited by Old Yeller; 05-24-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Yup. . .

I'm grown up enough to recognize the limits that a matrix of lust/money put on oneself. Sure, I'd love to squire a lovely spandex clad Italian supermodel umbrella girl around and show her off to my peer group. But the maintenance would kill me financially and I'm sure (if she lived up to the fantasy) I wouldn't survive the physical romp.

Now the S'hawk is danceable, appreciates minimum attention and presents only workable issues as far as difficulties go.

Passed on the cheerleader and married the librarian. I'm happy.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Does this change your mind any?
Attached Thumbnails hawk vs 1098-umbrella-girls1216.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Superhawk vs 1198s !!!

Ok this seems very apt for this thread right now. I wrote this after testing a 1198s.

The Duc is pure racetrack sex. And for that it suffers and excels.

“When I first saw the Ducati in the flesh, I must admit to being a little wowed by the beauty of her,” commented Speed Kelly. “Like some runway supermodel dressed in high-couture fashion, it’s for sure the looker of the bunch. As my mates would say back home in Olde Blighty; "It's the dog's bollocks, innit mate!"

You can read the rest of the test here 2009 Literbike Shootout - Motorcycle.com

I have lusted after Ducati's for years. Only one I have owned was a 900ss. Which I cracked both of top frame rails that attach to the headstock doing wheelies!

Anyway we got to test all these great liter sportbikes for the day up on the Crest (Highway 2 CA) at the end of the day we all leave and no one wants to ride the Ducati home! I was flabbergasted! By the time I got her back to my house in the south-bay after riding thru Los Angeles rush hour traffic. I understood why no one wanted to ride that beast home. Needless to say after riding that bike on the track and street for three days, my lust for Ducati's is no longer. Shame.

Last edited by speedkelly@aol.com; 05-24-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by PUSHrod
Passed on the cheerleader and married the librarian.
i have the cheerleader and the librarian!

the ducati isn't exotic like it used to be. you guys can have one if you want one. i paid less for it than all my gsxrs. believe me that i am no stuck up. if this chump can have one, so can you. i ride the duc just like the japanese bikes, scratch it, get bugs on it, wash it, wrench it, let my buddies try it, etc... and the ducati is very, very enjoyable to ride.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 PM
SuperBike

did i mention that the duc has 40+ more hp?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:52 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
I also have both wives. Well, a bit different. The Hawk and the Ape. The Hawk like a quarterhorse can be ridden all day dependable and strong. The ape like a thoroughbred is rock hard and wants to go fast and can't stand sitting in traffic.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:28 PM
SuperBike

like your aprilia, my 1098 hates in town, as do i.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:19 PM
JPP
Superstock

Cooks the nuts
Old 05-24-2011, 09:09 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Ducati owners are interesting, kind of a subculture like harley owners. Main difference is that no one expects you to go fast just because you have a harley. Its alot of pressure owning a ducati.
Its like having Jordan's sneakers and expecting to dunk. I instruct at the ducati track day in NJMP in Jersey. Alot of egos going around. They can't seem to understand why putting new wheels on the bike doesnt make them go faster. I like the bikes but really a bike is to be flogged & I myself couldn't ride a bike that I was worried about. So now I have my year round winter salt stained top box street fighter every day hawk, and my mario nava, cbr1000 front end single sided swingarm superhawk that is doing a slight ducati impression.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Ducati owners are interesting, kind of a subculture like harley owners. Main difference is that no one expects you to go fast just because you have a harley.
Good point there. I had some neighbors walk up and see my friend's 620 monster and because it said "Ducati" on the side, they went straight for it, keenly noting how fast the bike was. Superhawk was parked right in front of it... I just raised an eyebrow and said "Uh, yep, it sure is. Very knowledgable of you to notice, sir"

That being said, the little monster sure is a fun ride. Pretty upright ergos and real light. Way practical for such a auroa of exoticness that goes with the name - other than all the required dealership trips that is.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 AM
SuperBike

the other riders have more attitude towards ducs than i do. if they want to have ignorant, preconcieved, 2nd hand opinions, that's their problem.

i will say that ducati's marketing bs is a bit much. hollywood chooses ducati? big deal! hahaha

i have always treated my bikes well, 1098, gsxr, hawk, zx, cb, etc... my 1098 gets no more special treatment. that being said, if i ever went to the track i would be looking for a bike out of the bin.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
a guy beside me in the track pits was on a beautiful 1098 that only had about 700 miles on it. We were both riding intermediate during an afternoon session when it started to rain. We both crashed. Seeing my hawk beat up and then seeing his 1098 come in on a trailer all beat up....I was glad I only had $2500 in mine!

Mine....................his......

Yeah, those OEM Perelli tires are junk.... and that's in the dry. That dude should have known that!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 PM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road
If I could have an additional bike a "Duc" would be nice. Yes I would show case the bike but also ride the **** out of it.

But as mentioned before, for everyday and everywhere riding the VTR does it great. Not spot on perfect in any category. Unless the category is "everything".

Miguel
Attached Thumbnails hawk vs 1098-2011-05-22-12.34.36.jpg  
Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 PM
JPP
Superstock

[IMG]https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/Name:  akro.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  156.2 KBName:  akro.jpg
Size:  156.2 KB

Size:  156.2 KB[/IMG] Here she is after a recent "Akra-cism". Race map and slip-on. For those who were not here at the time, this is the result of following this forum.

I love my SH. This thing scares the crap out of me. I'm getting used to it though. It just goes so damn fast. I haven't even used the warp drive yet. or the Flux Capacitor.
Maybe tomorrow.
Size:  156.2 KB

Last edited by JPP; 05-28-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 PM
MotoGP

Make sure you have chewey do the calculations before the jump to light speed. That bike looks like its snorting and clawing at the ground just standing there.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Back Marker

20_rc51_00 is on a distinguished road
Ducati owners are interesting, kind of a subculture like harley owners. Main difference is that no one expects you to go fast just because you have a harley. Its alot of pressure owning a ducati.
Its like having Jordan's sneakers and expecting to dunk. I instruct at the ducati track day in NJMP in Jersey. Alot of egos going around. They can't seem to understand why putting new wheels on the bike doesnt make them go faster. I like the bikes but really a bike is to be flogged & I myself couldn't ride a bike that I was worried about. So now I have my year round winter salt stained top box street fighter every day hawk, and my mario nava, cbr1000 front end single sided swingarm superhawk that is doing a slight ducati impression.
Nice, I'm in 'boken. been wanting to check out NJMP. Do you rent a duc and take it on the track?

I kind of know what you guys mean about the ducs, I was a bit protective of my rc51 for a while till I realized that it was just as fun to ride as it was good looking. Then I soon started to realize that it didn't matter how it looked but how it felt and as soon as that happened I ended up washing the thing maybe twice a season and riding it like it was was meaned to be ridden. Tracked it, had a couple very minor tip overs but I didn't faze me anymore. There was more to the machine then what it looked like.... how it made me feel riding that mattered.

I'm going to own a Duc one day, but I will be hard pressed to separate from the rc51 especially if you can build it to surpass the 1198 with 176hp at the rear http://www.tuningcompany.de/unterneh...1-2/index.html muhahahhaha

Last edited by 20_rc51_00; 05-28-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:49 PM
MotoGP

NJUMP is havng track days tomorrow and monday. I didnt plan on it but am still thinking of going down. I am a Loudon racer which is where Penguin race school is. They use ducatis as school bikes so when they go to NJ for the last couple years I go with them. I acually instruct on my SV650. That is probably the frustrating part for the 1198 riders who cant imagine why they cant turn faster laps. Like I said. Jordan's sneakers.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:57 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 20_rc51_00
I'm going to own a Duc one day, but I will be hard pressed to separate from the rc51 especially if you can build it to surpass the 1198 with 176hp at the rear Motorrad Tuning von KAINZINGER - The Tuning Company muhahahhaha
176hp comes cheaper if you buy a duc.
i loved(love) my rc51. it has gone down as a classic and it will remain a classic into motorcycle lore. that being said, there is something very positive to say about my 1098's hp.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Back Marker

NJUMP is havng track days tomorrow and monday. I didnt plan on it but am still thinking of going down. I am a Loudon racer which is where Penguin race school is. They use ducatis as school bikes so when they go to NJ for the last couple years I go with them. I acually instruct on my SV650. That is probably the frustrating part for the 1198 riders who cant imagine why they cant turn faster laps. Like I said. Jordan's sneakers.
damn, wish I could make it out. I have exams to study for plus my bike is in need of wheel bearings at the moment. Beautiful day for a track session though! stay safe!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by finepooch
176hp comes cheaper if you buy a duc.
i loved(love) my rc51. it has gone down as a classic and it will remain a classic into motorcycle lore. that being said, there is something very positive to say about my 1098's hp.
True, and it may be more reliable as well, but... it wouldn't be an RC51 and the only one on the block!