General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

HANDS FALL ASLEEP ON THE VTR!!!! IM GOING NUCKIN FUTS

Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Back Marker

meanhawk98 is on a distinguished road
HANDS FALL ASLEEP ON THE VTR!!!! IM GOING NUCKIN FUTS

im going nuts my hands are falling aslep while riding, never happend tilll i got this bike, anythin gi can do please help!! tips tricks add ons??? anything i can try thanks a ton guys!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:10 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Yeah, you aren't going fast enough.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:13 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Do you smoke?

Encourage good blood circulation by:
  • Keeping warm and dry (when necessary, wear gloves, a hat, waterproofs and use heating pads if available);
  • Giving up or cutting down on smoking because smoking reduces blood flow; and
  • Massaging and exercising your fingers during breaks.

Hand arm vibration - Worried about your hands?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibration_white_finger

Last edited by Wicky; 02-18-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:58 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I think your problem is that dreadful M4 full exhaust..... you should get rid of it and replace with something that runs smoother (like an Akrapovic or Arrow system.....)

On a serious note, try getting heavy bar-end weights, they will help smooth things out. Taller bars will also remove the weight on your wrists and hands, helping you yet again. I installed a Vista-cruise on mine, which allows me rest my hands from time to time.....

P.S. How do you like the M4 system?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Another thing to try is to strengthen your core muscles and not lean on the handlebars so hard.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Squid

climbiton is on a distinguished road
RWhisen has the right idea..... Also loosen up your grip and relax.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
I installed a Vista-cruise on mine, which allows me rest my hands from time to time.....
I tried to install one of those on mine, but wasn't happy with the results. Do you have pictures of it installed on your hawk? Any tips?
Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by meanhawk98
my hands are falling aslep while riding, never happend tilll i got this bike, anythin gi can do please help!! tips tricks add ons???
Have you ridden other sports bikes? I have heli bars on mine and can ride for hours without discomfort. Vibration is very minimal, much less than my '93 Ducati 900SS had. These bikes are very smooth for a twin. If yours is putting a lot of vibration through the bars, there may be a problem.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Back Marker

ok all awesome idea im guna probably try all of thos, i dont soke tho so not that haha i wanted to raise up my bars and where can i get heavier bar weights?

and as for as the m4's go i love em, i have full m4 exhaust with cans, deep throughty and mean sounding yet mellow if i want them to be, i love em

thanks for all the help guys , you guys are great!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 PM
MotoGP

Check eBay for the heavier bar end weights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-H...item2c6135b8b8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-ST...item3f0b6543fd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibration-co...item3ca4ed1b58

and so on....

Also, make sure your carbs are well synched.

As for the M4, ever have your bike dynoed?

Last edited by mikstr; 02-18-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:25 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
MeanHawk, Where you the owner that put the bike together.. Reason I ask, Is the items you mention in the description, would indicate some research for the mods...
Really quite an impressive..
Old 02-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Back Marker

^^^ what do you mean? ive done everything but the M4 exhaust, everything else ive done, so ya, what do you mea tho?

and i was thinking about the heli bars there just damn exspensive and i didnt know if they would b worth the cash or if my hands just guna continue to fall asleep.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Back Marker

MIKSTR

i worry about ordering bar ends ive ordered three sets all sayong they fit the superhawk and all were to big,another thing tha pisses me off, i cant find them.arnt the bars 22mm?

are those links you sent all onesthat you think would fit?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 AM
MotoGP

Any bar end designed to fit a 7/8" bar (22mm) should fit. AS for the links, they should fit although I offer no guarantees, just trying to be helpful....
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Ok, so to try to help we need to know:

1. Is this your first sportbike?
2. Did the problem start the 1st time you rode the Hawk for a longish ride, or was it ok but has gotten worse?
3. If this is not your first sportbike, with a forward leaning riding position, what is different on the Hawk's ride compared to your other sportbikes?
4. How long a ride does it take before your hands start to go numb?
5. Does it happen riding around town, at low RPM's and legal speeds more, or out on the back roads at high RPM's and high speeds?
6. Is there a part of the RPM range that sticks out in your mind as having excessive vibration? What is it?
7. Do you wear gloves when you ride? Do you have a decent pair of heavy riding gloves? By decent, I mean made for motorcycling?*
8. Do you have this problem in other areas of life? Mowing the lawn, working at a desk for long periods of time?

As I said before, unpleasant vibration is not an issue on these bikes, at any RPM, as far as I'm concerned, and I have ridden many bikes that were far worse. I have a little wrist pain that comes from years of riding and racing, as well as years sitting behind a keyboard, but the Hawk does not cause me issues after long rides, and is a treat to ride. As mine came with the Heli bars, I've never ridden one with stock bars, but I can't imagine the ride comfort would be very different as the bars are not very different. I believe I have the stock bar ends.*

One thing I do to help my hands when I'm riding any bike is take every stop as an opportunity to wiggle my fingers and stretch my wrists. I also do this sometimes on long rides, and have always done it, as far as I can remember. Texas has some decent twisties, but if you don't live among them, there can be a lot of highway between. There tends to be a lot of straight line riding, so I usually add a Vista Cruise throttle lock so I can relax my right hand, or even take it off the bar, haven't got one on my Hawk yet though. Now I just reach across and hold the throttle with my left hand. Another option is a ThrottleMeister which combines a throttle lock with heavier bar-end weights.*
http://throttlemeister.com/
Here's some info on the Vista Cruise with links to a couple other throttle locks:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/throttlelock.htm

Good luck.*
Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Also think about adding heated handlebar grips to help keep blood circulating if the problem has been happening in less than warm conditions.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Do a bit of a search on hands falling asleep and you will find tons of suggestions. One possibility is VFR clip ons combined with throttle meisters - worked well for me...
Old 02-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
Ok, so to try to help we need to know:

1. Is this your first sportbike?no ihave had a r6 and a older cbr

2. Did the problem start the 1st time you rode the Hawk for a longish ride, or was it ok but has gotten worse?and ya the first longish ride and usually at higher speeds, mostly beacuse higher speeds means no stop lights to rest haha

3. If this is not your first sportbike, with a forward leaning riding position, what is different on the Hawk's ride compared to your other sportbikes?it actually is more comfortable compared to the othersjust more vibrations in the bars

4. How long a ride does it take before your hands start to go numb?maybe like 10 mins or so give or take before i start to feel them tingle, it drives me nuts
5. Does it happen riding around town, at low RPM's and legal speeds more, or out on the back roads at high RPM's and high speeds?not so much around town because of stop lights and having a chance to rest so only when up and riding for a extended period of time

6. Is there a part of the RPM range that sticks out in your mind as having excessive vibration? What is it?hmmm id say over 2500 maybe upwards of 400 maybe?

7. Do you wear gloves when you ride? Do you have a decent pair of heavy riding gloves? By decent, I mean made for motorcycling?*and ya i have a nice leather carbon nuckle gloves and finger padding

8. Do you have this problem in other areas of life? Mowing the lawn, working at a desk for long periods of time?i have had and kinds still have tendontius and i work at boeing as a structure mechanice always useing my arms and upper body

As I said before, unpleasant vibration is not an issue on these bikes, at any RPM, as far as I'm concerned, and I have ridden many bikes that were far worse. I have a little wrist pain that comes from years of riding and racing, as well as years sitting behind a keyboard, but the Hawk does not cause me issues after long rides, and is a treat to ride. As mine came with the Heli bars, I've never ridden one with stock bars, but I can't imagine the ride comfort would be very different as the bars are not very different. I believe I have the stock bar ends.*

One thing I do to help my hands when I'm riding any bike is take every stop as an opportunity to wiggle my fingers and stretch my wrists. I also do this sometimes on long rides, and have always done it, as far as I can remember. Texas has some decent twisties, but if you don't live among them, there can be a lot of highway between. There tends to be a lot of straight line riding, so I usually add a Vista Cruise throttle lock so I can relax my right hand, or even take it off the bar, haven't got one on my Hawk yet though. Now I just reach across and hold the throttle with my left hand. Another option is a ThrottleMeister which combines a throttle lock with heavier bar-end weights.*
Throttlemeister - Home
Here's some info on the Vista Cruise with links to a couple other throttle locks:
Throttle Lock

Good luck.*
hey thank you, you guys really go above and beyond to help out fellow riders, good to see there still great people that love to help
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
If it happens on the hiway get a vistacruise cruise control. This way you can relax your hands.

Bar ends will help too as will contoured hiway grips.

As its happening take turns opening your hand strongly then relaxing. This will eliminate the numbness since the gripping action is what pumps the blood out.

Tank grips will help you support your wieght with your legs instead of hands & help hugely as well as give better control.

I mada a set of bar ends with chrome plumbing pipe and molten lead from fishing sinkers poured into it. Drill a hole and bolt it on. Real cheap and real heavy.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Back Marker

ok ill try that, i just orederd a go cruise seems simple wasy and will give my hand a break, hopefully it helps, ill keep evryone posted,

any have any heli bars they wana sell and any bar risers?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
do a search on this forum for carpal tunnel and you'll find a long thread on it. Look up carpal tunnel on google and see if it matches your symptoms. Is it specifically the thumb and first 3 fingers? Some people are prone to this and its hard to ride around it if they are really going numb to where you can't tell if you're working the controls. If its just mild and positional you may be able to adjust things, use your core more then your wrists, and be sure your clutch and brake levers are adjusted so you don't have to **** your wrists back past neutral position.
Check out those refs. hopefully its just bad posture and control posititioning. If you have carpal tunnel you will have a tough time making a crotch rocket position working but can be treated.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:52 PM
New to the Hawk!
Squid

bahndrvr is on a distinguished road
I have horrible carpel tunnel, actually get disability from it from military, I ride with heli bars, the old style, doesnt look like much of a difference but it changed it for me. I got mine used for 149 shipped off of here last week, put a good 650 miles on them, only slight discomfort.

I'm going to be doing USD fork swap and when I do I'm doing dirt bike/superbike bars as even the helis aren't enough either honestly.

They will be for sale in the future but probably April timeframe.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Squid

crow is on a distinguished road
i also have a drz400 that i commute on on days that its raining or there is ice and snow my hands would go numd from vibration i thought i put on heated grips really seemed to help it keeps cicrulation i think
Old 02-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Just did a 200 mile ride on my SuperHawk today. Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions Besides a slight soreness at times from the riding position, easily resolved by removing my hands from the bars from time to time, there were no comfort issues to speak of. Even with the stock saddle, it is quite comfortable to ride many hours, as long as I take breaks every so often.

Btw, if your problem is your hands falling asleep, not your hand falling asleep, a throttle lock won't help much. If both your hands are affected, you need to change your riding practice. Take breaks more often, and try to relax your hands and arms often until you get a chance to try some different bars. You may find that you are tensing less as you ride more too, which may alleviate the problem by itself.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
I had this problem in my thumb and first two fingers of my right hand. I found that not tightening the wrist strap quite so much on my gloves helped a lot, as did learning to relax more and stop leaning on my wrists.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:37 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Old jacket, new bike, different ergonomic caused a binding in the sleeve under the arm that pinched a nerve.

Different jacket, numbness went away.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:09 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Pushrod, that's a new one. I hadn't thought of that.

Meanhawk, your problem may be one of the several factors that these guys said, but I'm with the thought that playing with riding position helps. If I lean less on the bars and grip lightly I don't get numbness. Leaning on the bars I could get numb in 20min on a highway commute.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Squid

amaly is on a distinguished road
Try new grips I used to run thin Renthals and had problems switched to Superbike went away. They stock those at any Ducati shop prob help w V twin vibes.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
I switched to the ol' foam grips and they are amazing. Also the helibars helped me a bunch. A 20$ gel pad from walmart cuts down on the nard-bashing too.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:44 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
What walmart gel pad?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HANDS FALL ASLEEP ON THE VTR!!!! IM GOING NUCKIN FUTS