Greetings to all from a SH newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Greetings to all from a SH newbie!

Hello everyone,

Been lurking for a few days and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Ross and I purchased a '98 SH the other day from the original owner this past monday. The fellow had been a pretty devoted owner of his bike, and the ad for everything included with the bike read like a wish list of mods, so I couldn't pass it up. I've been itching for another sport twin for the last three years, ever since selling my '97 TL-S. I really was missing that v twin lunge, and throb. So much fun to ride. Anyway, this particular example I bought was doted on my the owner up until he met his wife to be, four years ago. Then, (unfortunately for the bike) it was put in a corner of the garage, and his other bikes (more suitable for passengers I'd guess) were ridden, while this one sat. The last tabs on it are from 2002. It had 33k on it when it was put away. He never intended for it to sit for this length of time, but it can happen I guess.

Needless to say, I am becoming exceptionally familiar with Superhawk carbs. Lucky me. Aren't those a sweetheart to get in and out of there? Oh well, it isn't gonna fix itself. what remains in the tank doesn't remotely resemble gas, so a good flush is in order. And the carbs have a fair amount of green gunk and varnish inhabiting them. I hope to have it running before bedtime tonight though.

It seems like you have a great community here, and I look forward to interacting with you all soon!

Thanks,
Ross (proud new VTR owner)
Old 05-03-2007, 10:21 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Welcome.

Now gimme some pictures!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Will do, as soon as I get her up and running. Perhaps tonight!

-R
Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Nice mods indeed! Welcome aboard
Old 05-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
Ross

so I am guessing your from the seattle area huh?

and I am also guessin that you bought that bike off of CL huh?

Anyway if my presumptions are correct welcome man...good to see another NW guy

and if I am correct the pics he is gunna post up are pretty cool seeing as I have see the bike on CL...
Old 05-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Its almost like you are clairvoyant! Yep, Thats the bike I snagged. The price was only fair when you consider the mileage ($3500 for a 33k bike) But when you consider that it was the original owner, and that it came with a harris 6 gallon(?) tank, full Moriwaki exhaust, the ohlins shock, brembo rotors, Corbin seat and all the other goodies, plus all the stock parts, and a decent set of almost complete spare plastics, plus front and rear stands, two sets of saddlebags (one set is huge and made out of the material kayakers use for their storage bags) and two tank bags, it became pretty hard to pass up. The guy had multiple people pass because it wasn't turn key (wouldn't run due to badly gummed up carbs, and it needs tires, chain and sprockets) but I am quite comfortable doing the carb work, and the other items are consumables as far as I am concerned. So I am pretty stoked!

-R
Old 05-03-2007, 12:00 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum
Old 05-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Superstock

So Ross you wanna hook up some time? where are you located at? I am right where I-90 and 405 come together...would love to see that tank in person haha

I am glad someone who is stoked on the bike picked it up and I am glad to see ya on here...haha
Old 05-03-2007, 12:30 PM
MotoGP

I am sure I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say that if some of your aftermarket goodies make you ill at ease, we will gladly help to releive your anxiety. To illustrate my point, I would gladly help rid of the turmoil caused by that nasty full exhaust, that unsightly Ohlins shock, or those disruptive Brembo rotors. Remember, you are among friends here
Old 05-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by mikstr
I am sure I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say that if some of your aftermarket goodies make you ill at ease, we will gladly help to releive your anxiety. To illustrate my point, I would gladly help rid of the turmoil caused by that nasty full exhaust, that unsightly Ohlins shock, or those disruptive Brembo rotors. Remember, you are among friends here
Boy, that's mighty white of you there! Hahahaha. Yeah, those Brembo's are sure noisey backing the bike out of the garage, and I suspect that Moriwaki will be on the noisy side. And who needs 6 gallons of range right?

-R
Old 05-03-2007, 12:57 PM
SuperBike

dibs on the wheels
Old 05-03-2007, 01:03 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah I've heard that all the mods you've got on that thing are bad for it and should be sold off for cheap as soon as possible! Just kidding. Welcome aboard and yes we need pics of not only the superhawk but some of those other nasty toys too. Also curious to hear your opinion/comparison vs the TLS once you to get to riding the superhawk.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Yeah I've heard that all the mods you've got on that thing are bad for it and should be sold off for cheap as soon as possible! Just kidding. Welcome aboard and yes we need pics of not only the superhawk but some of those other nasty toys too. Also curious to hear your opinion/comparison vs the TLS once you to get to riding the superhawk.
Be happy to! Give comparisons that is...

-R
Old 05-03-2007, 01:31 PM
MotoGP

Basically, we are offering to "share the burden"... we can't have you suffering alone, lol
Old 05-03-2007, 01:33 PM
SuperBike

I'd be happy to pay shipping, as a favor to the new guy.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:45 PM
MotoGP

see? another member stepping up to teh plate and displaying some real Christain charity... I am so proud of you guys, lol
Old 05-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Superstock

kmm996
Welcome to the underground. You're amoung friends here. There is alot of good info on here. I agree with Captainchaos, we want your opinion of the VTR compared to your TL when you get to ride it.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm in on that meet. I'm at I-5 and I-405.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:40 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I read your post about "cleaning the carbs and have it running later tonight" with humor until I looked at the bottom and saw the other bikes - and their build. No wonder you would go for a Superhawk with that list with it! It's nice to have a fresh pair of eyes looking over a very familiar motorcycle around here. The really cool part of your Superhawk is some of the equipment that you bought with can't be had at any price now.

And then, of course, there's the picture thing! Don't forget - we'll be bummed!

Old 05-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Thanks for the kind words. I'm no mechanical genius...I just bumble along.
But I have smart friends, and am a service manager, so I know my way around most things mechanical, having worked at a couple of bike dealerships, then ran a car shop for 7 years, and now heavy construction equipment. I love finding a forum where the members aren't afraid to dig into their rides a bit and figure out what makes them tick. Maximum-Suzuki.com is like that too (Bandit forum). Oh, I went home on my lunch hour and right before I left to come back to work, fired it off for the first time! Music to my ears. I am happy as a clam. Now...I need to get my tires here, and figure out the gearing on it. I'll dig into that tonight so I can order chain and sprockets. If its like my TL was, I am imagining that it has pretty tall stock gearing? I'll have to see what the previous owner put on there for gearing. Good lord the guy rode hard. I'll have to take pictures of the tires (and the whole bike) I'll try to get them up tonight! Would love to meet some of the other PNW superhawkers soon!
Cheers,

-R
Old 05-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Welcome.

Seattle here also.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Sounds like a nice find there. You'll enjoy it here. Lots of great folks around to help and bullshit with. Sounds like you're no newbie to the scene so you probably won't get rashed too hard. We tend to have a little bit of an "initiation" for some folks. You might have noticed that if you've been through a few of the threads.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Ok, got her up and running tonight. Its a good thursday indeed! A couple of initial impressions are, the tires on it are beyond wasted. Really really scary, and I can spin the rear at will. But that's obvious just looking at the tires. The poor bike really did sit for four years, and after getting her running tonight, it became apparent to me that I had literally NO clutch action. The lever was totally limp. Tried for about 20 minutes to get her to bleed out with fresh DOT4 and quickly realized it wasn't going to happen. Started disassembling things and realized that the slave cylinder had lots of deposits in it. Ick. Cleaned it out well, and then realized that the banjo bolt might also be clogged with crap. Wow. That was an understatement. I had to clean it out with a pick. It was solid, and mineral-like. Disassembled the master and found the same kind of collection of crap. Put it all back together and after about 15 minutes of bleeding, got it feeling halfway decent. Can't swear that'll be the end of it...but we'll see. The brakes don't feel amazing and could probably also use a very thorough bleeding, but that will wait till tomorrow. Bike is running pretty well considering sitting for so long. Nursed it down to the gas station and treated her to a fresh tank of gas. Cruising at city speeds I notice that it surges or seems to stutter at arond 3000 rpms with steady throttle. I had seen a thread in the tech section about TPS settings, and when I had the carbs off, I measured resistance. Came in about .795, so its a bit off for sure. Not sure if that's resposible for the issue or not. It apparently has a factory jet kit in it, and feels jetted pretty properly. I really need to blow the cobwebs out and hammer on it a bit, but until my rubber comes (and my new tabs!) it'll be parked in the garage I think.

Anyway...some pictures as promised. These are with the stock tank, as the Harris tank has a stripped bolt hole for the petcock that I need to helicoil so it doesn't leak.

-R
Old 05-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Superstock

so when do I get to see this thing in person...hahah...

lookin good Ross...sure enough that was the bike that I saw on Cl
Old 05-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Tire looks scary! Man, all those cool-*** parts and the PO kept the stock signals? Interesting. Nice Mori system. That's actually the first pic of one I've seen in a very long time. Looking great so far! As for the lean spot, did you pull out the mixture screws and clean those ports?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:54 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Welcome…

I found the same crud on my 98 SH, second owner and under 5K miles on the ODO.
Check the brakes…… my brake master and calipers were full of the same black crud as I found (you found) in the clutch slave. As part of my initial service I bled the brakes, and they were ok.. Then a few days later I had the no clutch action you described. After dealing with that, I knew there would be crap in the brakes also.. Scary what I found in the master between the seals.. and in the calipers . Was no wonder it was sponge city.
In a few years I’ll be back in the PNW.. Perhaps we will ride the same corners.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Tire looks scary! Man, all those cool-*** parts and the PO kept the stock signals? Interesting. Nice Mori system. That's actually the first pic of one I've seen in a very long time. Looking great so far! As for the lean spot, did you pull out the mixture screws and clean those ports?

yes, I concur. The tires are Uber Scary. I shall refrain from riding again until the new ones show up here at work. Hopefully today or monday. oh well. As far as the mixture screws, I did pull them all and clean the ports well. It has a "factory" jet kit, according to the sticker on the airbox. Pair valve was deleted by the PO. This honda (and I would assume the rest of yours are the same way) has a funky head on the mixture screws, (like a circle with a dimple in the center and one edge cut off...kind of a D shape) but there were no aluminum plugs blocking my access to the mixture screws, so someone has been in there before. I screwed them in and counted 1.25 turns. So that's what I set them to when I put them back in. But you are right, it does feel like a lean surge/stutter at small throttle openings during a steady 30-40mph cruise. Maybe I should pull the carbs and set the screws out another turn or two? Ugh. Don't really want to go through all that, but I really need to take them out again anyway to drill out the tps screws so I can get it adjusted. Is the TPS likely to cause any of that? Also, my Choke seems relatively ineffective, but it'll start with no choke really...so its not that big a deal. I just didn't focus on cleaning the choke passages.

{EDIT}
As far as the brakes...I plan on diving into them this weekend! They feel a little vague, and then bite into the those brembos. So yeah...seeing what i found in the clutch lines, I won't be surprised to find issues there. Good thing I buy my Dot 4 in bulk!

-R

-R
Old 05-04-2007, 11:49 AM
SuperBike

Sounds like you've got a handle on everything. It nice to hear from someone who actually knows what a helicoil is.

That's a sweet looking exhaust!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Back Marker

seaton001 is on a distinguished road
I bet it is the TPS that is causing that surging... mine was doing the same thing and when I checked the setting it was 900 ohms!!!! Got mine dialed to 501 ohms now.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by seaton001
I bet it is the TPS that is causing that surging... mine was doing the same thing and when I checked the setting it was 900 ohms!!!! Got mine dialed to 501 ohms now.
Yeah...mine checked out at 795. Another thing to do this weekend I guess.
"Sorry honey, the yard will have to wait...I have to adjust the TPS on the new girlfri... I mean the new Bike!"

-R

Quick Reply: Greetings to all from a SH newbie!