General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

got another hawk! Quick question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Squid

Jmelvin1984@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
got another hawk! Quick question

Hello superhawk family! Just bought another hawk, this is my third one. Not sure why I keep selling them! I've never really had to lay a finger on the previous two I had outside of the R/R.. The hawk I just bought was running hot and after some tinkering I figured out the fan was not coming on. I tested the fan via grounding the temp switch on the radiator and it did not come on. I have another fan on the way I just wanted to ask if there was anything I should be aware of before I attempt the install. Thanks in advance and I'm glad I J could join this awesome group. All of the research I did to figure out the cooling problem was done on here and this forum is full of good knowledge
Old 08-08-2017, 04:29 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Did you check that the fan blade is free to turn? When I bought my well used VTR, I had a similar issue, no fan action and would blow a fuse when I jumped it. Turned out someone had trapped a small radiator hose (IIRC the reservoir line) between the shroud and frame, and that caused enough friction to stop it turning. When I put it back to standard, my fan worked fine.

BTW, the test for the fan is to ground the wire that leads to the thermoswitch, not the switch itself.

When you say the bike ran hot, was that in traffic (in which case I agree that a non-running fan would be a cause) or whilst moving with good airflow? A common cause of general overheating is simply a faulty radiator cap that won't hold the correct system pressure.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Cadbury64
Did you check that the fan blade is free to turn? When I bought my well used VTR, I had a similar issue, no fan action and would blow a fuse when I jumped it. Turned out someone had trapped a small radiator hose (IIRC the reservoir line) between the shroud and frame, and that caused enough friction to stop it turning. When I put it back to standard, my fan worked fine.

BTW, the test for the fan is to ground the wire that leads to the thermoswitch, not the switch itself.

When you say the bike ran hot, was that in traffic (in which case I agree that a non-running fan would be a cause) or whilst moving with good airflow? A common cause of general overheating is simply a faulty radiator cap that won't hold the correct system pressure.
I grounded the wire not the switch itself, just came out wrong in the text. Yeah it only heats up at Lights when I sit for consecutive cycles at the same light. While riding at normal speeds it cools fine.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Jmelvin1984@gmail.com
I grounded the wire not the switch itself, just came out wrong in the text. Yeah it only heats up at Lights when I sit for consecutive cycles at the same light. While riding at normal speeds it cools fine.
I did also check the fan blade was free spinning before anything else aside for the fuse of course