General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

gf

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yruyur
I'm jealous that you have a girl that rides. Make sure you have sliders and just have her take it at her own pace.
Heck, I'm jealous you got a girlfriend. I'm still trying to get one and one that would ride...that would be the berries, my friend. My ex-gf rode...an 883 HD, but at least she would ride with me. Here in KY there is no helmet law and it was all I could do to get her to wear a helmet. For some reason she thought it wasn't gonna be useful, but after she wore it once, she liked the idea that the noise and wind in her face were reduced to basically nothin'. I hope she stills wears it. Anyhoo...I saw a girl on a sportbike in town and man she looked hot! If only I could......
Old 05-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
I got my first dirtbke at age 5. yamaha mx80. I had to stand on a cinder block to get on! Been riding dirtbikes and streetbikes ever since and amazingly i still learn something about riding from time to time.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:59 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
update:
she's gone for a few rides on the hawk. she is taking her time and being very cautious. she says that she is getting more comfortable with every ride. i too am much less worried about her riding.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:44 PM
SuperBike

update:
this afternoon at work i got a call from my lady. she dropped the bike. she says she fine except a small bruise on her hip. the bike has a bent clutch lever, gear shifter, left side fairing scratches, bit of scuffs on the edge of the muffler. over all not much damage but i told her she either needs to retire from riding or be more vigilent on the road.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:10 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
this is like a bad joke. we forgot to ask if this was a GF you actually care about?
there are some times when judgment means intervening for someone with no experience. use this as a very very lucky way to learn a lesson. get a different bike for her, ride with her the first few months. telling her to be more careful is like preaching abstinence.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
Glad she's OK, what happened?

Obviously you didn't post the entire conversation, but if what you did post covers the main gist... brace for impact.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
This puts it in perspective ...
Never give your teenage daughter a 105 howitzer, or even a measly german 88 before she has proven herself with the pellet-gun.

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 06-19-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cliby
this is like a bad joke. we forgot to ask if this was a GF you actually care about?

Dude, he let her ride his SuperHawk... more than once and unsupervised. Is it not obvious how much he really does care for this woman?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear that she did not get hurt too badly. The SUPER hawk is really too much for a 1st timer IMHO. Time for her to get a Hawk GT 650! Much easier to handle and build confidence on. They can be had cheap, and can take the abuse without showing the scars too much. And most people like the way they look; many people think they are a modern build when they see them.

Last edited by Moto Man; 06-19-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 PM
SuperBike

geeze guys. as i think i posted earlier in this thread, i was against her riding. i tried to make her think about things and talk her out of it. but the thing is, she's a grown woman(36) and she made up her mind. this was not my decision.

for the record, i love my lady and respect her very much. she's the best. it took 20 years of chasing for me to catch her! '87 - '07.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:58 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch
geeze guys. as i think i posted earlier in this thread, i was against her riding. i tried to make her think about things and talk her out of it. but the thing is, she's a grown woman(36) and she made up her mind. this was not my decision.

for the record, i love my lady and respect her very much. she's the best. it took 20 years of chasing for me to catch her! '87 - '07.
did you advise her that you were taking out a half mil life insurance policy on her?
Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
While the SH may be intimidating to some, its a manageable bike if you're smart. I started on the SH, and I continue to ride it. Of course, I rode dirt when I was younger, and I also took the Beginner MSF class, and the Advanced now. I can breeze through the MSF classes, but I always learn something in them.

If you ride careful, safe, and smart; then most of the time everything is just fine!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:03 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Dirt riding before street is the smartest thing you can do.
Theres lots of things you learn by falling off on the dirt that you would rather not learn on the street.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:54 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
Theres lots of things you learn by falling off on the dirt that you would rather not learn on the street.

+100
Old 06-20-2009, 02:04 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
yes, my ex had an sv650s. she very quickly got things together. within a month or so i was totally comfortable with her taking my gix1000.

my gf now though, she's a different character. she's a bit timid and i am nervous. you're right, it's the weight and physical size of the bike that makes me nervous.

we are actually looking at a third bike. something small and cheap for her to cut her teeth on. going to look at a suzuki 550.

listen to your own instincts - don't give her mixed messages. take the keys. get a small bike. ride together. be a shame to lose her if it took that long to get her! I'm really not criticizing - I only say this as genuine advice and hoping you don't have to remake mistakes some of us have made. having kids riding I've dealt with this myself and there is a middle ground. if she were to get seriously hurt and you already had concerns, it would be hard to live with afterwards.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cliby
listen to your own instincts - don't give her mixed messages. take the keys. get a small bike. ride together. be a shame to lose her if it took that long to get her! I'm really not criticizing - I only say this as genuine advice and hoping you don't have to remake mistakes some of us have made. having kids riding I've dealt with this myself and there is a middle ground. if she were to get seriously hurt and you already had concerns, it would be hard to live with afterwards.
Well put and +1
Old 06-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Back Marker

Stixx is on a distinguished road
my gf wouldlike to ride my hawk. but i'm a little nervous about it also. i bought her an 09 250 ninja and she is still very timid on it. had a small wreck while trying to teach her to ride the 250. no injury only brusies. but still dont feel right putting her on hawk. hte ninja is a blast to ride. wide open in every gear till it reds then shift. kinda like a two wheeled gokart.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:02 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
That 250 Ninja is 120 pounds lighter than the VTR. That's a huge difference for someone who gets on it for the first time.

My wife says she'll try my SuperHawk tomorrow. She's been riding for 4 years and had 11,000 on her EX500, which was sold in October '07 when she got an SV650S. She has over 12,000 on it, and she loves riding the canyons with me now, although a little slower.

If this happens tomorrow I'll let you guys know how she did.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
+1 - I don't consider someone with only dirt experience to be a "first timer" when they hit the street. But even if you have dirt experience you should not start on the street with something as big as a SuperHawk.

And while you don't have a say in if she rides or not, unless her name is on the title to the Superhawk you don't have to give her the keys to it. If she is worth 20 years of chasing, she got to be worth the price of smaller bike just for her. She will love you for the purchase.

Last edited by Moto Man; 06-22-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:22 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My wife rode my SuperHawk yesterday on a 5 mile in and out ride on a lightly traveled road, got it up to 75. She liked the easy power delivery, and she thought it shifted more smoothy than her SV. But at just under 5'4" she could barely touch both toes down on my Sargent seat, which is a little wider than the stocker. So she says she'll stick with her SV.

There have got to be a lot of used SV's and EX500's out there for a decent price. My wife is much happier with the SV. She says it's easier to keep up with me.

But get your girlfriend in an MSF course first.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:54 PM
SuperBike

she took the course