General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

GenMar risers AND Helibars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
GenMar risers AND Helibars?

Has anyone here ever tried using both GenMar risers and Helibars on their VTR? I am already have Helis and was wondering about picking up a set of risers too but am concerned about the cable and hose lengths (I can dremel the fairing, in addition to pushing it back a bit by using spacers on the mirror mounts as others have done).

cheers
Old 05-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Has anyone here ever tried using both GenMar risers and Helibars on their VTR? I am already have Helis and was wondering about picking up a set of risers too but am concerned about the cable and hose lengths (I can dremel the fairing, in addition to pushing it back a bit by using spacers on the mirror mounts as others have done).

cheers
The Gen Mar kit gives you a small off set piece for the lines that helps lift them up to fit with the risers... it screws into the lower triple tree, I think. I felt a bit awkward with the GenMars. They are okay for touring, but the bars are still at a strange angle for me, although higher. In the twisties, the steering becomes a little more vague, with the loss of bar leverage which can really be felt in the transitions.

I have not tried the "Heli-expensive" bars.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Well, hell, may as well go with ape hangers since you're going that far! Is an ST1300 more your speed? The Superhawk/Firestorm really has a decent riding position stock compared with most sportbikes these days. Get your muscles used to the position. That's what it takes. All new bikes take some time to get used to. Each ride will be easier on your body, yet the first ride of the spring will always feel like the first time you've been on the bike. I felt that way today when I did 300 miles on the 1000RR - first long ride this spring on it. My *** and legs were killing me!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:40 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Maybe time to trade her in huh? Harleys here I come. It may come as a surprise but there are some who actually ditch the clip-ons and put on handlebars...really! I am not making this up! Just wondering if they'll be disowned too...

All kidding aside, I was wondering about this. I like my current set-up with the Helis but was wondering what would happen with it and the Genmars. A lot of it has to do with carrying passengers and how being slightly more upright may make it easier for them.

Maybe I'll just keep my questions to myself from now on....
Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Disowned? Nah, maybe virtually beat about the face and head. J/K. I was hoping you'd pick up on my sarcasm. I'm still not sure if you did....

Honestly you'd probably be better trying to go with a bar setup where you don't have to trim plastics. Those fuggers are expensive, ya know. You could even get an extra upper triple and if you decide not to use it sell it off on the forum.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Reading the post again, maybe we can get to the root of the problem. What problem is your passenger having?