General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

fuel sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Squid

Brian D'Antonio is on a distinguished road
fuel sending unit

New to the forum. Picked up a 2002 Superhawk 2 days ago. When I fill it up it reads full but within 2 miles it drops a bar, within 20 to 25 miles half a tank, then it slows down a little And drops slower but at 85 miles the reserve light starts blinking. Fill it up to the top and it takes 2.5 gallons. Could the sending unit be bad? A bent float? An unhooked or loose wire? Just wanted to get some ideas of what to look for before I take the tank off so I would know what to look for. Thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
First off welcome to the forum! Secondly, 85 mi is where the reserve light usually comes on. These are not known for great gas mileage. Some people get 45 mpg, some get 25 mpg. It all depends on how the bike is jetted and what air filter you are running. Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. With the kind of millage your getting, you probably have the carbs set up, meaning, 48 idle, needles raised, and it may go as far as bigger jets. However, with the mileage your getting, I doubt the mains have been replaced.
Everything you have mentionned is normal with the carbs tweeked.

Best way to confirm is to look into them. And if you're going to do that, take the time to clean them all up. If you wish to look for fuel mileage again, well, you can then turn back everything to stock while you're at it.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
A digital fuel gauge is progressive and it's totally normal for the first bar to disappear a lot quicker than the last bar. The closer you get to reserve the longer it lasts.

(:-})
Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
My '03 drops the first bar at about 20 miles. Something, maybe float arm out of whack. Should be be able to put in somewhere around 3.2 or so when the last bar flashes. I believe the manual calks for a .7 reserve which = add 3.5 @ last bar starts flashing.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Yeah the reserve is .7 gallons. I've been amazed by how many miles I can pull off the last bar. Saved my *** many times
Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Squid

Brian D'Antonio is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, The more I have looked into it the more this seems pretty normal. Went through another tank and I brought a bottle of gas just in case. Light came on at 90 miles and rode tip 102 miles then filled up and took 3.3 gallons. Seems to be working fine just feeling out the bike... 30 mpg seems about rite. Thanks for the info... Love the sight.