General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

FRUCK ME..... I went down today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:20 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Wow the marks on the road looked similar to mine and the potholes like these were definitely a threat with my stock setting, the bike really sits too low on the front, I wonder how much the average Japanese weight ?? Someone screwed up a calculation somewhere in the engineering process
Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
wow...very lucky for no oncoming traffic. amazing just how far you can slide.

heal well and get back out there
Old 04-07-2008, 05:28 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Check your forks. A fork swap might indeed be in order.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
Dude,
Sorry to hear about your get off. These things happen, I guess. I know my Hawk bit me in the first few months. You're young and will heal fast.

I thought about you the other day when I looked at the rear mud guard you found for me on eBay.

Tom
Old 04-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Ugh. That's painful to look at. I feel you with the headshake. Been there on more than one occasion. Front end gets light and front wheel wobbles. I grab a handful of throttle to pick it up and straiten the bike out, but I've got a lot of experience on a bike. May not work for everyone. If I had the extra cash, I'd buy a stabilizer.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:16 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
BUY A DIRTBIKE!
Here, someone captured you on video and put it on youtube. You're famous now. Good luck gettin better. Hope the wifey didn't hurt you more when you got home lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_D84...eature=related
Old 04-08-2008, 09:37 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I tried to get Josh to buy my dirtbike (dual sport actually) but he didn't want it...

Get better soon dude!

Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
BUY A DIRTBIKE!
Here, someone captured you on video and put it on youtube. You're famous now. Good luck gettin better. Hope the wifey didn't hurt you more when you got home lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_D84...eature=related
Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Miss the food at T.W.O.
Squid

truepath is on a distinguished road
well everyone knows that blue is the slowest color so we all know he wasnt speeding...

get well for rash is a bitch!!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:04 PM
PB215C
Squid

DaddyDuby is on a distinguished road
lets see some update pics of the repaired bike!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
Wow get well bro...
Old 07-31-2008, 05:28 PM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
Josh man, Glad your your still here and talking about it. Get that parts list going and we'll all see what we have to try and hurry your repairs. Were you wearing any safety gear? I'd be surprised if you were and got that much rash.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:31 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Do a search for his posts, I recall him posting pics of the repairs and additions he made to the bike after the accident.

Originally Posted by DaddyDuby
lets see some update pics of the repaired bike!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
I have a question if the wheel starts to shake like what can you try to do to stop from crashing?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
WOW, you are one lucky guy. that looks like it was a scary mess, and if oncoming traffic could have been disasterous. Sorry you are hurting and a wrecked bike. HOpefully we can all learn from each others mistakes. As you said already, good gear helps, road rash is for the most part avoidable on the street, but I occasionally make the mistake to go in jeans also if out for a quick ride and don't always adjust my riding style to suit the new attire - big mistake we all make. Second, it is very easy to get the tiniest bit crossed up once the front leave the ground or completely unweights - especially when suprised, going fast over a rise or with a backpack on. And at those speeds coming down even slightly crossed up is going to result in a real problem. One that the a fear response and most common reaction is to tense on the bars, which then usuually makes it worse as you are also off-balance. Anyone who wheelies or motocrosses knows what I'm talking about and its almost never the bike, but our doing, that creates this. I wouldn't look too hard for a bike cause to it.

Good luck in the recovery and the repairs and really glad it wasn't worse.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Will drum for BBQ
Back Marker

HondaJim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by supermonie
I have a question if the wheel starts to shake like what can you try to do to stop from crashing?
Eject, Eject!!!

Nah, seriously, the best thing to do is stay on the gas and ease your grip on the bars. You can't fight it off anyway, and when you do you just put it into the rear of the bike with your hips and legs. Stay on the gas to keep the front end from diving and to keep the wheel speed up.

Front wheels (and most rotating mass) have a gyro effect. Left alone, they want to go straight.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HondaJim
Eject, Eject!!!

Nah, seriously, the best thing to do is stay on the gas and ease your grip on the bars. You can't fight it off anyway, and when you do you just put it into the rear of the bike with your hips and legs. Stay on the gas to keep the front end from diving and to keep the wheel speed up.

Front wheels (and most rotating mass) have a gyro effect. Left alone, they want to go straight.

Cool thanks for the info!
Old 08-09-2008, 05:32 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
yep, I am alright... This happened back in April, and I have long since got the bike back on the road. Had Greg rework my forks for me, and still plan to add a steering stabilizer to the bike soon. I am "almost" back up to speed. Still get a little worried at higher speeds, but thats about it.. and i ALWAYS ride in full gear now.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
Good to hear Josh. Is the bike all done now?
Old 08-09-2008, 07:55 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jserio
Is the bike all done now?
LOL, are they ever really done?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:59 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Gregw
LOL, are they ever really done?
lol... exactly...

well I replaced left clip on, brake/clutch levers, grips, bar ends, front and rear pegs, exhaust w/ Micron high mounts, mirror, and used some plastic epoxy to repair the left fairing... it looks good, but i still want to replace the left plastic. I also sent forks to Greg to be done up, but still want to get a stabilizer.

but the bike was being ridden again before i was walking straight... so its kinda done. lol
Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
Neighbor down!

My neighbor went down on his hayaboobie last sunday , broke 7 bones in his shoulder, which i didnt know humans had that many in a shoulder, and he broke 4 ribs... A car suddenly slowed in front of him and he pulled in 100 PSI of front brake.. the back tire came up and hammered him into the ground... He admitted following too close. I aaaaallllmost rode with him that day...He is the type of guy that take his hayabusa from 0 to 180 on the freeway everytime to show off.. not too fun in traffic. i refuse to ride with him.and look where he has gotten himslef .anyways be carfeful dudes.... keep your space and NEVER stop paying full atttention to the road and BIG dumb cars.....
Old 08-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Squid

ridingrules is on a distinguished road
Wow, I'm glad you're ok.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
Maybe 2003 Dealer leftover bikes in Blue are doomed, I dumped mine on the right last weekend.

Did you check to make sure your headset is properly adjusted? Too loose or too tight might enhance wobbles. I've read that if you do get them to just let go of the bars and it will right itself. Easier said than done I'm sure.

Last edited by cscrawford; 03-17-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:49 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joshuatest
I was wearing a Joe Rocket Ballistic series jacket, jeans, and winter gloves....

Ironically... The leather armored riding gloves i ordered last wednesday showed up TODAY via UPS.... those would have probably saved my palm...

I also order some matching riding pants for my jacket last week too... it should be here tomorrow....

I will NEVER again ride without FULL gear... no matter what... I was litterally on the way home from picking up some steaks at the store... It can happen anytime... So I will again, NEVER ride again without FULL GEAR....
I crashed hard two years ago in February in full gear. Had I not been in the goods I would probably not be here. No rash, a broken wrist, totaled Superhawk. The three other guys like me that crashed in similar scenarios that day all went to the morgue.

I appreciate your attitude about being back up in a month. I lost the entire spring season and then it got too hot in the summer. It took about a year and a half before the flashbacks went away. You just have to keep trying.

Good luck and glad you're still with us and not in worse shape.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
So how was the steak?

Bike looks good considering everything. Looks like that crash was a longtime in the making.

I think it's a bad idea though to try and rationalize it the way you are. It sounds to me like you know the road, but were just going to fast, maybe getting too comfortable. 100% preventable, and I hope you prevent it in the future.

All I have to offer parts-wise is stock turnsignals.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Whoa, I saw this thread and thought...no, not again. Then I opened it and looked at the date.

Keep the rubber side down joshuatest.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:24 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I did the exact same thing but had already typed a response. There's always new guys here so maybe revisiting some of these avoidable crashes is a good thing. And now is the time of the year.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
cscrawford you alright? what happened?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 AM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
Low side. I was out on a road East of Phoenix with another rider and we were going toward Tortilla Flats. I went into a slower, sharp right (20 mph?) and hit a little bit of pea gravel that was kicked on top of the pavement. I'm pretty good at reading pavement but this turn was shaded by a cliff and the pea gravel was the same stuff the pavement was made of, tiny little *****. Ever see that dippi'n dots ice cream? About that size, but black. It all happened pretty quick but it seemed like slow motion. My friend said it looked like I might pull out but then the rear went out, too. We'd just passed a bunch of slow traffic so we were scrambling to throw dirt on the 3+ quarts of oil that blew out of my engine.
I had full leathers and an Arai Signet. Signet is trashed and I'm pretty sore, hurts to breathe but pretty lucky. W/out gear I'd have a cracked skull and a shattered elbow. I've been in the garage pulling the bike apart tonight. I was 21 years overdue for a street crash so I consider myself lucky. I was definitely running on borrowed time, and am just glad it wasn't a high side or worse.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Squid

marra is on a distinguished road
could have been a lot worse, mate you walked away bonus!! bike does'nt look too bad, got a set of cans here but recon the postage would kill ya good luck with the rebuild and ride safe

Quick Reply: FRUCK ME..... I went down today...