FRUCK ME..... I went down today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:18 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
FRUCK ME..... I went down today...

Thats right...

I was headed home from the grocery store with a couple packs of steaks in my backpack to through on the grill.. And ended up coming home bleeding and with the truck on a truck bed....

1st off... I'm alright... (a little high on pain pills, and have some major rash, but ok)....

I was headed home, and came up on a section where there are two big hills in the road real close to each other.. rollacoster type road.. lol

Anyway... I was coming over the top of the second hill, and while the front end didn't come up in the air, it did come up enough to take all the weight off the front suspension, and made the tire hop a little... But as soon as the weight came back on the front end, i developed a major headshake... And unfortunately, it wasn't savable...

I skidded a little, and finally went down on the left side... I fell on top of the bike, and slid on top of it for a bit, then finally fell off the bike, and the bike continued up the road into the ditch about 30-40yrds ahead... I fell, and kinda rolled over, and ended up on my a$$, then turned myself over to try to keep from rashing to bad, and ended up on the side of the road and settled into some gravel/grass....

The person behind me stopped, and just by chance, a off duty officer was headed the opposite direction, and called the medics/fired dept/ and troppers...

I was probably traveling around 70-75MPH, but NOT doing anything crazy... It was a wide open 55mph road, and typically traveled at 65-70mph by cars.... I was NOT trying to wheelie the bike or anything... Just got caught off gaurd, and could not save the front end shake....

Sooo... After the medics got done telling me i really should go to the ER, and after the cops tried to accuse me of speeding, doing stunts, and drugs and drinking... I got the truck loaded into a buddy's truck, and home...

It wasn't until after getting home i realized just how much rash i had... I had rashed the palm of my left hand in two big spots pretty bad, but the medics cleaned it for me and bandaged it... they where also kind enough to cut my sweather off to bandage a sissy sized cut on my arm where my jacket sleeves came up... However, the seat of my pants got complately ripped apart, and I noticed some slight rash, but after removing my pants, I realized that I had a HUGE rash on my left a$$ cheek, cut on my left knee, rash on back of lower left leg, and left ankle... as well as a big rash on my right a$$ cheek, right knee, right lower leg, which was pretty bad....

My palm, left cheek, and right lower leg are the worst...not to mention i am really sore....

AS FOR THE BIKE...

Not nearly as bad as it could have been... I'll post pics tomorrow if i feel like it... lol

The left clip on is complately U shaped now, so that needs replaced... Both left side blinkers need replaced, but i was planning to anyway... Left side of the fairings are rashed, and a couple spots all the way through, but probably salvagable... and the left side pipe took some rash, got bent about .5" inward, and has a crack by the bottom weld... Also, my tac, speedo, and digital portion of the gauges (except the time for some reason) are not working..

So all in all, no leaks, no motor/radiator damage, no wheel/forks damaged... So its repairable...

I'll get started in a couple weeks, or when i finally get to feeling better...

very sore right now....

Got the bike new as a 03 leftover on Dec 28th... turned 550 miles on it today....

THIS BIKE IS GETTING A STABILIZER FOR SURE...
Old 04-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
MAN. Its always bad when bad things happen to good people. I hope you have a speedy recovery and get back in the saddle before the riding season is over.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:28 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by GeMs
MAN. Its always bad when bad things happen to good people. I hope you have a speedy recovery and get back in the saddle before the riding season is over.
I have every intention to be riding again in about a month... I'll start ordering up the replacement parts in the next week once i feel ok enough to tear in and see what is needed... Good news is i'll probably grab some hi mounts while i am at it... lol

At this point my major focus is keeping the rashed area clean so i'm not getting any infections....

thanks for the positive comments...
Old 04-06-2008, 07:28 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Damn. Glad to hear you're alive! I love those rollercoaster hills too! But you have to keep your wheel perfectly straight or you're screwed. When I wrecked a few weeks ago, all of us were trying to get everything cleaned up and taken care of before the cops showed. SC cops can be some serious a**holes about stuff like that.

...time to start building that baby back up!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:29 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude, sorry to hear you went down. Best news i guess is you are here to tell about it and will heal and ride another day.

That rash stuff hurts liuke heck. I got some last summer while scuffing in a new front tire on my supermoto. Stupid i was, i went down the street in my friggin crocs (i know) and shorts and front end slide out. Still got a scar on my calf about 8" long. Funny think is i am a huge gear guy. I am typically the only one on our ride group in full leathers. Lesson learned, wear all the gear all the time.

Glad the SuperChicker will survive, Will insurance be helping you rebuild her?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
How is your lower fairing? That was the first think I thought of on the bike because of all the work you did on it. Hopefully it still is in great condition. Did you have frame sliders?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:36 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

thanks guy's...

No frame sliders yet... however i'm not sure i will end up with them.... They can also increase the distance of the slide in some cases... they are more helpfull for low speed spills...

The lower has some rash on it, but no damage (i don't think).... I think the majority is the factory left side fairing....

No insurance help.... I only carry liability for a few reasons... 1... If its layed down bad enough to not be more than a couple grand in repairs, i probably needed a brake anyway... 2... cost wise.... In a one year time, assuming i have a accident, it has to be over $1750 in damage to fix for me to brake even with the deductable.... plus rate increases when you file... so i just don't think the full coverage is worth it for me....
Old 04-06-2008, 08:27 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
glad to hear youre alright man. i know you were looking forward to riding more.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Very glad to hear you are ok +- some rashed parts. Take it easy and get healed up.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:12 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow.. that sucks JT! I know how it is coming off a steep decline... it can be pretty sketchy on a sport bike. The only thing that will save your *** is "dirt skills". If you come down with too much weight bias on one bar it'll cause head-shake. Hope you have a speedy recovery and I hope this doesn't detour a motorcycling future.

p.s. I have a left clip-on ('01-'05) and a stock left muffler I could sell for a "good guy" price, if you need.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Squid

Blkbird is on a distinguished road
glad you alright man, went down two weeks ago and broke my hand and got rashed up so i know how you feel. now both of us are looking for parts. if you find a place to get cheap forks let me know. feel better.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

bdizzle is on a distinguished road
That sucks you went down. Something must be wrong with today. I went for a ride today with some buddies and one of them did a OTB(over the bars). He was going through a mild left turn, said his rear tire started to slide, he almost saved it but ran out of road, went up the dirt embankment, was doin ok, but then he hit a huge rock, front tire came up was still ok but when the rear tire hit the rock it bucked him right off the bike.

Last edited by bdizzle; 04-06-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:41 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

I just keep thinking back to that moment where i realized i was not saving it.. the bike was shaking so drastically, I realized there was no saving.. and finally the left bars turned full left and I remember taking a dive to the ground on it... then no memory at all untill i fell off the bike, onto the road and remember rolling onto my a$$... then reaching for the grass on the side of the road to help stop....

And a couple times tonight, loaded up on pain pills, i've kinda drifted off, and woke because i was thinking about that drastic shake, and it was almost making me dizzy....

I'll get back on, and soon.... But this shht SUCKS... Let me tell you... My A$$ hurts something horrbile, and so does my left hand....
Old 04-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Understand, learn, and grow...

Going down sucks. Fortunately I have been lucky; haven't dropped the 'Hawk in the 1.5 years I've had her (Dropped the 650 Nighthawk a couple of times years ago).
When having the flashbacks, take those moments into comprehension and grasp onto it. Learn and understand what you did wrong. It's a scary thing to think about, but it's sort of a ying/yang sorta learning moment for someone. Everyones experiences are their own and learning from mistakes and applying those real world skills/conditions further developes yourself as a rider. Even though he didn't drop it, Colin Edwards had a few things to re'evaluate and calulate in his head about that right hander last week for the next time he went through there.
I didn't read all of your post for your bailing out - cause I have my own demons and flashbacks - but even before I got Keith Code's "Soft Science of Roadracing Motorcycles", it was instinct for me to apply the $10 rule. How much of my attention is focused on what/how/where/when is happening around me, and how much of my attention have I "spent" on what is taking place at "this moment". What kind of variables influence my conditions and take away from my margin of safety?
So I totally feel for ya' bro'. Just feel fortunate that you didn't loose your two front top teeth on the ashfault. I was a junior in high school when I was doing a very healthy 20mph+ down an ashfault hill in a park when the front tire went from under me (I had those newer racing handlebars - not the old school type of racing bars) and the first thing that hit as I went airborne forward were the tops of my wrists and then my two front teeth on the ashfault; rolled myself over and lost mass' flesh off the right side of me. Stood up, and spit chunks of my teeth out - stood there, and a couple who were walking in the park came to check on me (I'm having flashbacks right now that I still haven't recovered from - but keep me in check ALWAYS from now on, when dealing with the front end of a bike/motorcycle) and the gal comforted me some about how "Dr's can do wonder's these days with reconstruction".
I pulled myself together (Handlebars slippery from lots of blood), and bicycled myself home (Bad flashbacks - hope you guys are getting a kick out of this. :P)... ...wearing my Portland Trailblazer's Real Men Wear Black t'shirt (This was back in '93.) that was torn up on the right side.
Anyway. I'll cut this short - the next day I was riding again. I got my first motorcycle ('84 650sc Honda Nighthawk) a little over a year later and never turned back.
Learning. Your always learning. Riding within the performance capabilities of your skill level and capabilities of your machine - influenced by potential threats that loom. Calulating the continuously altering variable of safety at every turn with yourself in mind every time.
So this is not a rant sort of thing to everyone - it's a motivator and point of self exploration to grow and develop from.
Cheers mate - I'm sure you'll be airborne (The good kind) soon enough.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear you went down. Good luck on your recovery and get back on soon....
Old 04-07-2008, 04:35 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I know that headshake, I had it at 120 MPH I was basically off the bike, I felt the front end trying to get under me leaving a black winding mark on the pavement, it finally stopped as I was to fall off, dampers are a must and better front springs too, check your SAG.

Well this is a blessing that you made it alive, no broken bones, no handicap, bike not totalled.
Get well and don't worry too much, this happens to many of us, I guess it's part of the game. Consider it as expensive riding experience, it may save your life later on who knows...
Old 04-07-2008, 04:42 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Geez, man... sorry to hear it.. good luck..
Old 04-07-2008, 04:52 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear ur OK - Hey if U can walk away its a good thing

What type of gear did U have on?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:43 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
That sux Josh! Glad to hear you and the 'Hawk are in relatively good shape! I was wondering if you had the bike out with the nice weather, I was out for about an hour later in the afternoon doing some new truck shopping, cruising around and just plain enjoying 65 degrees. If you need a hand working on the bike some evening give me a call.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:38 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
good to hear your 'OK'.

that said: i read all the time that the 'hawk doesn't need a damper, it's very stable. most likely thats true but the roads that i ride on aren't always perfect plus i changed the ride height (rake & trail )& regeared -1 +2. it's very easy to unload the front end ... a roller coaster hill in this case. i do ride a 'brisk' pace & ride on the track a lot so i may be a bit more extreme than some of you.

when i really started to push the bike i noticed a lot of flex that made it difficult to hold a good line if the road had any imperfections... and could get a twitch if i hit a hole or the edge of a bad patch. a little wobble when landing a wheelie is a given.

long winded... after rebuilding the forks, adding a fork brace and a steering damper have helped greatly in providing a more stable platform.

tim
Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Really rotten that you crashed but good that you are not worse off than you are.

Just curious....
What were you wearing? (jeans? riding suit? jacket? gloves? boots? etc.)

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Back Marker

DocPigskin17 is on a distinguished road
Crash Rash

Like everyone else, sorry to hear about going down. As you can see from my avatar, that is my crash rash from a dirt bike accident last year when someone hit me from behind and my thigh rolled up under the exhaust. The throttle was stuck WO so it kept pulling my leg up into the exhaust. I ended up with cellulitis (infection) but just a word of comfort...the wounds heal. So be patient. Good luck with the rebuild. As the drag racers say, "it isn't a bad thing when something breaks because it gives you a reason to build it better." I know rebuilding isn't what you wanted to do right now especially now that the weather is getting nice, but God Speed to you my fellow rider.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Hmm, I have gotten air off of swoops and never experienced head shake.. AFAIK totally stock front end, no stabilizer.. It must just all be in how you land.

Sorry to hear about your crash, good to hear about your attitude and getting back on it soon!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:50 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

I was wearing a Joe Rocket Ballistic series jacket, jeans, and winter gloves....

Ironically... The leather armored riding gloves i ordered last wednesday showed up TODAY via UPS.... those would have probably saved my palm...

I also order some matching riding pants for my jacket last week too... it should be here tomorrow....

I will NEVER again ride without FULL gear... no matter what... I was litterally on the way home from picking up some steaks at the store... It can happen anytime... So I will again, NEVER ride again without FULL GEAR....
Old 04-07-2008, 11:41 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
These are the cheapest stabilizers I could find... on Ebay anyway.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DAYTO...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
That bites bro after only 550 miles too, but glad to hear you are okay...

Iodine seems to help my rash heal faster.

Now I'm interested in a new front end more than ever...
Old 04-07-2008, 12:48 PM
nOOb
Squid

Dusty B is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your off man. Glad you're okay for the most part. By the sound of the speed you were traveling the bike/you could have been worse off.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear about the wreck. Dunno if there was anything else you could've done to prevent it except go slower.

If you're seriously considering a damper, don't. You're better off putting money into the forks to get the suspension set up correctly. The geometry of the bike is sufficient so that it's pretty stable (again, when set up correctly). Have you checked to see if the forks are still straight? If they're tweaked then you might even be better off doing a fork swap.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:31 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

PICS....

1st off.... inderocker.... check your PM's... I'm interested in your clip on and possible exhaust pipe...

ok.. Well I'm up and about today, walking VERY slow, but trying to keep my body moving... So in Pajama's, i had the wife take me down to the crash site.... Sitting in the car was HORRIBLE, but at this point, getting in the truck is IMPOSSIBLE.... Couln't get my leg within a foot of the slider.. lol

Anway... After going back down there, and taking a look around.... I honestly think I figured out what incouraged my headshake... Just on the far side of the hill top, where I wouldn't have seen them, there where a few pot holes... Nothing major, but most of which big enough to take my front wheel off course.... We measured from where the first skid mark was, to where the bike ended up, it was just over .2 miles..

anyway... I took some pictures....

The hill top....

Can you tell the wheel was shaking???/

The next two are small pot holes that kinda sit angled in the road.... Which at this point is what I'm thinking my tire was at when the weight came on it..... When looking at the skids in person, you can kinda see how my skidding started just after that, and points right to it....

as you can see, I wobbled in and out of my lane... lucky for me, no traffic...

And the SUPER SCARY part... I ended up landing about 2 feet from this sign, which apparently had been taken out beforehand... If that sign where still standing, there was a good chance it would have been the thing to stop my body.... When i skidded to a stop, that was the first think I noticed laying by me...

And if you look just next to my wifes drivers side tire, and by her feet... you can see the bikes final slide marks... I am standing with the camera where the bike ended up, taking the picture looking at where it came from... See that hill top in the distance... That is where it all started....

on a side note... sorry guy's, would have made the wife where a thong or something if I realized she was starring in my real life story on the web.. lol

pics of bike comming next
Old 04-07-2008, 04:40 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Hole in left side pipe...

The foot peg, which is GONE!!!... couldn't find it today walking either, did pick up some plastic pieces...

Left side... bottom of plastic, and lower fairing... as you can see, it rubbed right through... but no real rash on the cover itself...

just a little rash on the fender....

as you can see, the left side exhaust pipe is slightly off now... which i think the bolts that hold the passenger peg and pipe are bent, everything else looks ok

No reaction from the cluster at all... the mirror survived with rash, but the flip on is done for

Plastic damage....

and the only tail damage

Quick Reply: FRUCK ME..... I went down today...