General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Fresh meat for the grinder

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Squid

mightytunacan is on a distinguished road
Fresh meat for the grinder

Well, here seems to be the right place to be posting as a new member.
Like almost everyone here, I've been riding since I was 5, and I 33 now. I currently ride a Yamaha Virago 1100 (Cruiser) but am going to pick up a 2000 Honda 1000 (Bored out to 1150cc's)
I've read and read shiny reviews about this bike, and am super excited to get on the road with one. Most of the reviews say really good things about it. But I am a little puzzled by the reports of the top speed... 155mph? Did I read that right? I mean, I'm not trying to poo poo the performance, but I must say that i'm just a little stumped at the prospect.
If anyone can confirm that this is the top speed I would appreciate it. I had my Virago rejetted after I put drag slip on pipes on it and I'm bottoming out at 155mph. I'm a 230lb guy, and I'm a little concerned that I may be buying an under powered bike.
Can anyone lay to rest my worried little head.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Speedometer error on your Virago. 10% of indicated is normal, so you're really only going about 140ish... Unless you can prove otherwise

155 on the superhawk is normal, but that means a real 155, not indicated.

1000cc twin sportbikes from the late 90s/2000s era are equivalent to 750 four cylinders, which is why the Ducati 916s raced with gsxrs and zx7s.

Whether it is underpowered is really personal preference. Will it pull 2nd gear wheelies? Yes, much more so that the big Virago. Will it be comfortable after 500 miles? No, much less so than the Virago.

Let us know how you enjoy it

James
Old 01-20-2015, 01:11 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Mate,

How fast do you want to go?

If it's bragging rights your after you won't have them with a VTR!

If it's surprising mates with more powerful bikes your onto a good thing.

The VTR is not about outright power, it's the way that it puts it to the ground and the way that you use it.

I own more powerfully bikes and ride them often, however if I was going on a group ride with a wide assortment of sports bikes the VTR is the one I take every time.

I love the way that it embarrasses the other bikes and believe that it is a rare bike that is more than the sum of it's parts.

I have spent 2 years and countless hours getting my bike to where it is and still there is lots more to be done.

The VTR is the most rewarding and involving bike that I have ever owned and never ceases to amaze me!

Welcome and good luck!

You should also be warned that owning a VTR can and will become an addiction!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:00 PM
mcg
Squid

mcg is on a distinguished road
I'm a mature rider (60 and feel 25) and I love my VTR. While the power pulses are similar to my Yamaha 920rh ( euro style chain drive), the lower weight, better chassis and huge power available make it no contest. The Honda has won my heart!! Just love the way that front wheel wants to climb!!!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:31 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
155 is about right. No different than any other late 90's 100hp sportbike, why are you surprised?

And don't take it the wrong way but there is NO WAY your Virago has even dreamed about going 155... on a good day you MIGHT get 120 out of it (and the prospect of going that fast on a Virago doesn't really sound like much fun). If you're worried about such things sell the superhawk and go buy a zx12/14 or Hayabusa and be done with it. I've owned both and while they're fun on the highway I really don't see any point or need to go that fast. Maybe I'm just getting old?

On a more serious note I'd love to hear more about your engine and the work done to it (1150 big bore?) Care to elaborate?

Last edited by captainchaos; 01-25-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:49 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I am going to agree with chaos that no way can a virago do 155. Unless you put virago sticker on an R1. The motor can not even turn the rpms needed to do that on a stock gearbox.

The bike was never intended to do top speed and I doubt even nitrous would overcome that.

Man if I had a nickel for every wild top speed story I have heard.......