General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

flywheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 04:29 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
flywheel questions

alright as ive never been into a motorcycle motor i can only guess it works like a car motor. that being said my clutch is toast and its coming out over the winter and being replaced, not sure if im upgrading yet or just going oem. i know with a car youre supposed to machine the flywheel each time you change the clutch. now seeing as our bikes have a wet clutch, would i be safe to assume it engages a flywheel the same as a car or is the flywheel there just to balance the motor in some way and the clutch being a multi disc unit somehow works on its own?
Old 10-09-2010, 04:55 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
No need to machine the flywheel for a clutch change... The ordering of parts is a bit different in a bike than on a car engine since you stick the stator in there as well instead of the more separate generator of a car... The clutch "works on it's own" in that respect as you said...

However a fun trick for faster spool up of the engine and more race adapted engine character is to lighten the flywheel on the VTR some... Do a search and there are many discussions about it... Add "roger ditchfield" to the search as well as "flywheel" and you get full specs for the recommended dimensions...
Old 10-09-2010, 10:38 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
nice thanks tweety, ill look into that today, id love to get this bitch to rev up faster