General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Fitting a CBR600RR rear wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:14 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Fitting a CBR600RR rear wheel?

First things first: yes I did a search and found oen thread that dealt with the matter of fitting a CBR600RR rear wheel to the VTR. However, the last post dates quick a little while and nothing conclusive came of the thread anyhow.

So, with that out of the way, has anyone tried or succeeded at fitting a CBR600RR rear wheel to the VTR? If yes, please share what was involved.

thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:17 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
You haven't already done it yourself? Thought you might have forgotten over the expanse of time and mods that are you. lol
Old 05-15-2014, 10:39 AM
MotoGP

Nope. am running a PVM rear wheel for a CBR900RR (same dimensions as VTR). However, as I hunt for a 2005-2008 GSX-R front wheel to accomodate the CMC rotors I bought, I need to find a matching rear and suffice to say hardly anyone makes aftermarket wheels for the VTR. If a 600RR wheel can me date to fit, however, I can simply mix and match a 600RR rear with a GSX-R front from a given aftermarket model (which opens up a whole list of possibilities, inclusing Dymag, BST,....) and all will be well with the world
Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 AM
MotoGP

Don`t be shy now.... any info that could potentially be helpful would be appreciated (ie. 900RR wheel mounted on CBR600RR,....). As the 900RR, for example, is dimensionally same as VTR (for mounting purposes), any info related to a swap involving it could be useful.....
Old 05-16-2014, 09:12 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Can't help you here but was curious what the advantage is for fitting a CBR900RR wheel to the VTR is, and what is needed to do so? For example is it lighter, wider (6" vs 5.5"?), have better more robust bearings, require custom spacers, is it the same color as a 98 VTR wheel, etc?

Originally Posted by mikstr
Don`t be shy now.... any info that could potentially be helpful would be appreciated (ie. 900RR wheel mounted on CBR600RR,....). As the 900RR, for example, is dimensionally same as VTR (for mounting purposes), any info related to a swap involving it could be useful.....
Old 05-16-2014, 10:08 AM
MotoGP

AFAIK, the only "advantage" to an OEM 900 back wheel is the fact that it`s a 6-spoke, making it aesthetically preferable to some.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:18 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

AFAIK, the only "advantage" to an OEM 900 back wheel is the fact that it`s a 6-spoke, making it aesthetically preferable to some.
A more than acceptable "reason". Almost as good as the old "because".
Old 05-16-2014, 01:59 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Ah, the old form over function rationale. But do the OE spacers work with it and is it at all lighter or stronger, etc?

Old 05-16-2014, 03:09 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Ah, the old form over function rationale.

Yessir, teh very thing Hardley built an empire on....

as for the wheel questions: direct bolt-on, as for weight, IIRC it's very slightly heavier (talking about OEM pieces here of course)
Old 05-16-2014, 04:35 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I think the cush drive is different so you would probably run into dimensional problems with the 600RR rear wheel. Nothing a little custom machining can't solve!
Old 05-16-2014, 05:10 PM
MotoGP

Thanks Jamie. Not having the necessary machine tools, however, it can be a hurdle....

BTW, to be clear, I am not looking to install an OEM 600RR rear wheel, but rather a 600RR-compatible aftermarket wheel (Dymag CF would be nice). If it boils down to trimming 2mm or shipping 2mm for the sprocket, it can probalby be done, anything a lot more complex likely puts it out of reach for me......

Last edited by mikstr; 05-16-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 PM
MotoGP

Let's try this again (as in back to original query)....... anyone?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:52 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
Let's try this again (as in back to original query)....... anyone?

unless im wildly confused here you already bought a set of dymags for a 600RR didnt you?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:53 PM
MotoGP

you're correct. I am hoping someone can provide me with the info needed to make them fit, save me from having to do the legwork myself....... Have done a fair amount of Google searching already and am confident they can be made to fit; however, nothing about the specifics involved.... hoping for an enlightened shortcut...... it seems I almost always end up doing the pioneering work on most of my projects, was hoping to ride someone's coattails for a change.......
Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
it seems I almost always end up doing the pioneering work on most of my projects.
well this is why we love you!

im sure its just a matter of the correct mm spacers on either side. as well as getting the chain offset corrected.

dont worry, we have faith in you!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:04 AM
MotoGP

thanks, lol
Old 11-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Squid

Kieran is on a distinguished road
New Info

I was speaking to a local guy who races an 05 06 CBR450rr (CBR600rr with 1 cylinder unplugged to fit capacity restrictions for F3/Superlites, lot of guys do it).
He said that his wet rear rim is off a CBR600 F4i, and only required a little bit of spacer work to make it fit. Brake disk and cush drive lined up correctly once the wheel was spaced correctly, and only needed bearings to fit the 600rr axle which is thicker.
Now I've read somewhere ( and I'm still looking for it again) that the F4i wheel is a direct swap for the VTR1000f...

Sometime in the new year, I'll be borrowing his wheels to measure, see exactly how different they are...
Old 11-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Squid

Kieran is on a distinguished road
And look at this:
900rr rear wheel fits - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners
Old 11-24-2014, 03:49 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... As long as you use an RC51 swing arm as an adapter, it's easy-peasy...

If not, you run into the issue of 25 mm axle vs the VTR's 20 mm axle... Other than that the spacing is actually correct, so using the CBR600RR complete set of spacers, with cush drive is pretty much drop in... Apart from the axle issue then...

But, if you want too keep the stock swing arm and axle, you need to swap bearings for matching OD and 20 mm ID, all over...

BTW, the setup from Honda is amazingly "standard"... As long as you use the matching spacers, 9 out of 10 times the whole assembly of wheel and cush drive has the same alignment from bike to bike (CBR/VTR/RC51)... And the rear wheel brake disk is almost always correctly aligned....

So, basically the answer is, get a complete set of wheel and cush drive, get a set of bearings from All ***** or similar, and double check, it's entirely possible you can use the VTR's stock spacers...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-24-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
This thread is now useless for Mike. He's got himself some killer carbon wheels he'll be toying with over the winter.

However, still is valuable info for anyone else interested in this mod...:O)
Old 11-24-2014, 08:35 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Well... As long as you use an RC51 swing arm as an adapter, it's easy-peasy...

If not, you run into the issue of 25 mm axle vs the VTR's 20 mm axle... Other than that the spacing is actually correct, so using the CBR600RR complete set of spacers, with cush drive is pretty much drop in... Apart from the axle issue then...

But, if you want too keep the stock swing arm and axle, you need to swap bearings for matching OD and 20 mm ID, all over...

BTW, the setup from Honda is amazingly "standard"... As long as you use the matching spacers, 9 out of 10 times the whole assembly of wheel and cush drive has the same alignment from bike to bike (CBR/VTR/RC51)... And the rear wheel brake disk is almost always correctly aligned....

So, basically the answer is, get a complete set of wheel and cush drive, get a set of bearings from All ***** or similar, and double check, it's entirely possible you can use the VTR's stock spacers...
+1 Agree