General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Dyno in PXH area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Too old for this
Squid

Herbie is on a distinguished road
Question Dyno in PXH area?

Well, it's been 10 years since I've had carbs but just picked up a nice 2003 SH with 12K on the odometer. The original owner installed black Jardine high pipes but never touched the carbs and has run a stock air filter. After doing some reading here it seems that I should get some sort of idea where the mixture is before popping in a K&N or other aftermarket filter and see if I am indeed running lean.
Would someone recommend somewhere in Phoenix (east valley would be great) that can dyno test with an O2 sensor? I would like to make an informed decision to jet or not to jet rather than just tearing in and messing things up.

Thanks.

and yes, I have already melted a bit of my boots to the pipe - going to install a small heat shield because I happen to like the high pipes.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Look at the plugs they should be light coco brown. If they are whitish then they are too lean, black too rich. Or if you really want to know you could always build your own wideband sensor.

Do not get a K&N
Old 03-17-2010, 04:49 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
Do not get a K&N
Meanwhile a K&N banner pops up at the bottom of the screen. Oh the irony....
Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Too old for this
Squid

Herbie is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I'll look at the plugs. That's never a bad idea anyway. As for building a wideband sensor: I am pretty OCD when it comes to DIY but unless that's cheap and really useful I would rather have it professionally tested.

And as for the K&N: after reading into older posts I see that the SH does not always play well with it. I'm not big on tossing $$ at parts that may make things worse so I will hold off on that for now. Is there anything close to a common consensus for an air filter? Just use Stock? With all the dirt in the AZ air I like having the ability to clean my filter rather than replace it at 1/2 the normal interval.

Gotta love targeted advertising. You'll notice it on just about every site these days - ads for anything you recently searched or posted anywhere.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
Do not get a K&N
+1 Unless you like a bike that runs like poop.

K&Ns are great for other bikes, but our big carbs and picky airbox do not do well with K&N or other aftermarket filters without a lot of tuning that the BEST result is still less power than the OEM filter.

Even the race teams gave up and went with the OEM filter back when the SH was raced.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:03 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Oh and Ted Rich from http://www.azsportbikerentals.com/ is probably the best bike tuner in town. Though I don't know if he has a dyno in his shop or not. (he also has something to do with http://aztrackday.com)

Last edited by lazn; 03-17-2010 at 09:09 AM.