General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Dumped the Hawk yesterday :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Squid

jadkar is on a distinguished road
Dumped the Hawk yesterday :(

So I dropped the Hawk yesterday. I know I'm going to unleash a band of flames upon me by telling my story but it's OK. I figure tell it how it is and learn from my mistakes while I'm not hurt.

The Hawk is my first bike. Trust me I know it’s a bit large for my first motorcycle but I have convinced myself that as long as I'm not a punk with it and take it easy while I'm learning I'll be fine. I track a couple cars in the summer, I've had a whole bunch of quads, and I'm a student pilot so in other words I respect machines and know not to be a clown. I got the bike from a friend for a great price and she's absolutely beautiful.

For the past month that I have had it I have been riding like a grandma, I haven't had the thing out of 4th gear yet and I been spending a lot of time in parking lots practicing emergency stops and slow tight turns. This past weekend things really started to come together and I felt real comfortable.

So starting from a stop I have been crazy careful with slipping the clutch and controlling throttle inputs. So much that I have been really lugging the bike out just to be careful. Finally yesterday at a stop sign I decided let me try and pull away like a normal person, not fast but with a little authority. Well, I guess this is where the big bike versus little beginner bike comes in. What I thought was not a lot of throttle was. In retrospect I probably should have thought about "what should I do if the front end comes up". I've pulled many wheelies before on quads, but they had thumb throttles. I have never been on one wheel with a motorcycle and didn't even expect it. As a matter of fact if I was trying to pull a wheelie I probably would have been better off because at least I would have expected it. In my case it came from nowhere. I rolled out of the clutch just fine, didn't pop it or anything just gave her more gas and as the clutch fully disengaged I smoothly went to half throttle..... at which point the bike said... cya!! It probably didn't help that the road was slightly uphill and gravity was not on my side.

She came up so fast and before I knew what was going on I was dragging the pipes and license plate. My right hand finally caught up with my brain and decided to let go of the throttle but this was a bad move since I was actually past vertical. I let go of the right hand and that was the end. Since my left hand was still on the bar all my weight pulled down on the left side and the bike fell from vertical to the left side. I have no idea how fast I was going but I'll bet when all was said and done I was at the top of first, which I don't even know how fast that is since I have never revved it that high. I went down and slid with the bike about 20 feet.

The poor thing was still running so I ran over and instantly shut her down. The result of this noob stupidity was demolished front wheel, punctured left crankcase cover, left mirror, left turn signal, clutch lever, left bar end, shift lever, and the exhaust is slightly bent. Thank god the guy who I bought the bike from had sliders on it and they saved the bike, it's amazing what those little things did. The fairing has one tiny mark on it about 1/2" long way on the bottom.

I have a bashed up left arm, just road rash though, nothing broken, a huge lump on my right shin and a really battered ego. Luckily I had full gear on and its pretty trashed…. boots, jacket, overpants, and gloves are ripped up. I didn't hit my helmet at all.

Now looking back I know that I should have just gotten on the rear brake and that would have most likely brought things under control, or of course the clutch. Either one would have been better that jumping off the throttle and falling off however it happened so fast that unless I was better prepared in the first place I don't think my mind would have ever reacted fast enough. Truth be told I broke one of the big rules and I wasn't thinking about "what if". I should have thought OK, going to start off faster than usual, what do you do when the front end launches.

Anyway, for what it’s worth feel free to blast away. Oh..... and after wards if you have any parts I'm looking for in this thread please let me know

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/classifieds-32/wtb-front-wheel-shift-lever-left-blinker-left-crankcase-cover-25187/

Thanks!!

** edit: I went back to the scene today to take another look and recount what I did wrong. From the marks in the pavement where the pipe hit and I was vertical to where the oil puddle was is roughly 30-40 feet. I still don't have a clue as to how fast I was going but I would guess that far of a slide slightly uphill was probably 40-45mph. What mph does our first gear top out at?

Last edited by jadkar; 04-10-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
At least you are all right, the bike could have fallen on you and then traffic behind you.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:22 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry you dropped your bike but I'm glad you're OK. You got a harsh lesson but you analyzed what happened and learned from it. The worst crashes are ones that either you don't walk away from or don't learn anything from.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
...I have a bashed up left arm, just road rash though, nothing broken, a huge lump on my right shin and a really battered ego. Luckily I had full gear on and its pretty trashed…. boots, jacket, overpants, and gloves are ripped up. I didn't hit my helmet at all...

Bashed ego aside, think about where you would be without gear? Glad to hear you're fine...

Not to thread jack, but I just kissed pavement on my 600 Shadow a couple of days ago. Riding two up, we were just twisting around corners and I was having fun practicing hitting the apex and a combo of factors left me in a low-side slide into the ditch. Maybe only going 25 or 30 mph, hit the crest of a hill, had a slight left turn, some of that slippery tar stuff on the road and grabbed a little too much front brake and it was more than that front tire could handle... the rest of the story is similar to yours. Turned the bike off as it was still puttering on its side, and just kinda realized how fast everything can happen.

The funny thing is that my friend showed up in sandals and I go "Nope. Go back and get some boots on... I won't ride with you in those" I won't have to ask her next time haha! Other than that, we both had on jeans, leather armored jackets, boots, gloves and helmets made the day go from a skin graph and hospital visit to an "oops". What's weird is that I got a pretty good raspberry from elbow/forearm pads rubbing against my skin.

Last edited by 7moore7; 04-10-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Squid

^^^

Crazy I have the same thing, left arm has road rash and a huge gouge. I had my jacket on and I think what happened is the inside of the jacket gave me the rash and the armor gouged my elbow. I bet my elbow would have been broken without the jacket / armor!!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Squid

05Titan is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you are OK.

Could have been a lot worse in the same scenario, as ttocsmai said. It sounds like, in this case, you learned a great lesson. Be glad you learned it under such mild consequences.

Be aware that every rider goes down - it's inevitable. Just when and where, we never know!

The more you get to know the bike and the more time you spend learning how vulnerable you are, the more able you will be when the inevitable comes up.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jadkar
...What I thought was not a lot of throttle was. In retrospect I probably should have thought about "what should I do if the front end comes up"...
You just described my most daunting concern about the Superhawk. Namely the potential for out of control launches by the underqualified.

This is a wake up call to novice riders. Hopefully by sharing your painful experience you may have influenced some other Superhawk forum noobs ( count me in the group!) to re-evaluate their own level of preparedness. Hope you and the bike heal quickly and not too expensively.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:55 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I doubt you will be flamed. You have taken responsibility for the accident and you are working to understand what happened and what you could have done differently.
**** happens. Lots of torque, relatively light front end, and lack of experience can bite you.
Glad that the lesson was no worse.
There are a number on here that have said the Shawk was their first bike and I cringe everytime I read that. I started riding on the street almost 30 years ago. Back then there were 350s, 400s and 500s in great number. Bikes you could really learn from. Granted you were on Shawk, but frankly I don't see a 100+hp 600 I4 as being a much better choice.
You sound level headed (better be if you plan use that pilots license) - good luck. Get back on and take it slow. Skill comes from both practice and time in the saddle. Don't push it, it will come
Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I'm with steve. when I started even a 750 "superbike" made around 60hp. a lot easier to learn slowly. I don't envy people starting out now - its daunting to slowly work up to things on a more powerful bike. Best thing is to find advanced riding courses in your area - and I don't mean the MSF course. I mean the newer breed they are doing either at small tracks or big parking lots, a lot run after the lee parks books or others. they are becoming popular and usually put on by real bike nuts. You can learn a lot about your bike, more safely learn how to approach its limits and meet some very good riders and cool people in the process. tracks are another great place. Good luck, don't get discouraged. good luck on the parts searching.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Back Marker

superh1998 is on a distinguished road
As everyone has said above, I'm glad to hear you are OK and learned from the experience.
The Hawk definitely should not be taken lightly. Sure, there are many faster bikes out there, but the torque on these is nothing short of incredible.
I started out on a 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000r. That was probably more than I should have had for my first bike, but I took a few courses, and felt very comfortable on it...even though I weighed 150lbs.
Next was a 92 Nighthawk 750, which was also a fun bike but nothing like what I had before.
Now, getting to my point. When I first got the Hawk, it couldn't have been more than a few days before I encountered a similar situation. Thank god 10 yrs of riding experience must have done something, because I pulled the clutch in and released the throttle before it was too late, but my voice did raise a few octaves after I came down.
Needless to say, the power needs to be respected and I learned from it as well. If you are taking off quickly from a stop, just lean forward!
That being said, glad to hear you are OK, and the left side cover will be shipped tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I looked at the speedo once as I redlined it in 1st, and it hit an indicated 70 MPH. That's with stock gearing, 16/41. Does your bike have lower gearing?

Glad you came out of it without major injuries. Also, good thing your friend didn't sell you a CBR1000RR.

And like cliby said, there are lots of good books on riding out there. My wife has the Lee Parks book as well, but the one she swears by is "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch.

When my wife is following me on her SV, she says my front wheel comes off the ground in 1st frequently. And I don't even feel it.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 04-10-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:56 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
the hawk is my first bike as well, I also crashed and burned. But I rebuilt to just about new and have put around 6k miles on her accident free since. good luck with ebay!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
I was going to spew a long story on my 1st bike being an '02 superhawk, but just respect it an have fun
Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Squid

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and encouragement. Going forward I'm gonna have to understand a couple things. Half throttle is quite a bit especially in first gear. Get ready to catch the front if she goes skyward, cover the clutch and rear brake when taking off hard. Lean forward!

As for my gearing, I believe its stock.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and encouragement. Going forward I'm gonna have to understand a couple things. Half throttle is quite a bit especially in first gear. Get ready to catch the front if she goes skyward, cover the clutch and rear brake when taking off hard. Lean forward!

mmmmmmmmm. i feel for you. been there, done that. the SH i'm putting together right now was totaled over 5 years ago because i wasn't making myself visible and an oncoming car made a left turn right in front of me as i was zooming in the right rush-hour lane at about 40mph. i didn't get hurt too bad, but the bike ended up wedged under the car after it had flipped from the left side to the right side, with everything damaged except for those damn Staintunes. those mounts that cause so many issues for racers kept the cans from getting 1 scratch. you are a much more conscientious rider than i was back when i had that crash.

it's a good thing you didn't get hurt too bad. metal is always replaceable... human body parts aren't always. hope you can get your bike fixed faster than it's taken me!!!!!

-f
Old 04-10-2011, 07:59 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Half throttle is quite a bit especially in first gear. Get ready to catch the front if she goes skyward, cover the clutch and rear brake when taking off hard. Lean forward!
Yeah you could do all that if you wanted to, but the best thing to do to avoid a wheelie is just shift early out of first. Once the clutch fully engages in first you'll be right around 4k or so, then just snap it in second and you shouldn't have problems. Glad you didn't get hurt.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
It is amazing how little time it takes right. Also amazing how instantly the emotion of regret can overwhelm you. Usually before you even stop sliding/rolling. The issue as you said is that the only thing protecting you from doing this again is your own awareness. The bike has enough power to do something ultraviolent at any second. THAT is why there are beginger bikes. (like you said). It is good that you are ok, thats always most important. The hard thing is to sort of embrace the idea of crashing. Not that its inevitable but to disarm the fear of it. To go fast on the racetrack you are sliding knees, toes, shins, pegs. You need a certain level of comfort/fearlessness to ride safe. You should try a track day, you have a track right there in millville. I race there 4 events a year and instruct at the ducati track experience one a year.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Squid

Yeah, I definitely want to get out to the track once I get some more experience. I track my rex at the glenn, pocono, and limerock and I have a blast. On top of that I'm also thinking about picking up a used dirtbike just so I can mess around a bit. I'm wondering if I had some dirtbike expirence if I may have been better off when the front end lofted.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Squid

2armor is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I definitely want to get out to the track once I get some more experience. I track my rex at the glenn, pocono, and limerock and I have a blast. On top of that I'm also thinking about picking up a used dirtbike just so I can mess around a bit. I'm wondering if I had some dirtbike expirence if I may have been better off when the front end lofted.
Sorry to hear this.. At least it wasnt worse. Lessons learned here Im sure. We all learn the hard ways sometimes.

I'll second the dirt bike training. It has made a world of difference for me. Starting in the dirt at a young age helps even more.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 PM
haha yeah
Squid

intoxxx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
When my wife is following me on her SV, she says my front wheel comes off the ground in 1st frequently. And I don't even feel it.
=]] yesaah

feels good, the feeling of not feeling. careful calculations and front end can also do 2nd 3rd same fun way.
but learn to ride the CG (center gravity).
know your rear. know CG tho! learn it tweak it adjust it feel it love it live it~!

VTRsurfer sir, census says, glad alright. learn from it and smile =]

ride another day
Old 04-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Squid

So all my parts are ordered and some are starting to arrive already. Thanks to all who PM'd me about some of the stuff I needed!

Hopefully within the next week Amy and I wil be on the road again. On a side note I have to say as crazy as this sounds I feel compelled to conquer this new found fear/mistake I have discovered. The only thing stopping me is the possibility of me trashing the bike again (not too worried about getting hurt as the gear did a great job). I'm not sure if this will be looked upon as stupid but I feel I should have been able to prevent this from happening and the only true way to learn would be to duplicate it and get over this negative expirence left in my mind..... Does this make any sense? Anyway, not sure if I actually will try on the Hawk as I'm still seriously thinking about picking up a dual sport and experimenting on that..... In a field somewhere.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
good idea there
Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Yep, after my incident I got back on and rode again as soon as I was physically able. Otherwise you probably won't ever again.

And manning up like you did isn't going to get you berated, it shows maturity and a willingness to learn!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Sharing is caring! Who cares about your ego. Taking responsibility, and learning from the mistake(s) is the smartest thing to do. I'm glad you're ok. I got my hawk after about a 14 year break from riding and my last bike (before the hawk) was a KZ650. No comparison. Once the bike ran good, thanks to MIKE, I didn't ride like a granny, I just gave it a lot of respect. I don't know if mine is any different but I've never had the bike vertical. If I wheelie, (no clutch) it's smooth and predictable, and I've always just eased off to get it down smooth. But that's doing it with a roll on throttle and being ready for it. It sounds like you whacked it at about 3.5-4k in first and had a V-twin experience. Again, I'm glad you're ok, and man enough to own up to it and learn!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
SuperSport

Half throttle is not a lot, it's how you get there! I think there's such as thing as being too careful. I'm not saying go out and get crazy. I just mean gain confidence slowly. I've found, from the beginning, regardless of throttle position, gear, or speed, it's how I get there that counts. Roll on smooth, regardless of speed, gear etc. and it's the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Of course after a while, you'll find that rolling on and reaching about 3.5k and increasing a bit more abruptly is quite a bit of fun too! Save that for later. Good luck on your repairs and again, I commend you for your honesty.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Squid

"Crawl, walk, run, practice practice practice" Good luck and keep that foot close to the rear brake the next time!

Last edited by 2armor; 04-14-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Back Marker

Cyfac0183 is on a distinguished road
see, now i am kinda worried, not about the crashing part, about the wheel lifting part- I have never given it a ton of throttle from the get go, but i have gotten on it a good bit in second and third gear, not even the slightest feeling of the front wheel coming at all. so two things come to my mind. 1. i am a giant P%$$y and not getting on it that much 2. something is awry with my bike or option 3 is i am a giant P%$$y and something is wrong with my bike. but if it keeps the front end down, i am okay with it!.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Cyfac0183
see, now i am kinda worried, not about the crashing part, about the wheel lifting part- I have never given it a ton of throttle from the get go, but i have gotten on it a good bit in second and third gear, not even the slightest feeling of the front wheel coming at all. so two things come to my mind. 1. i am a giant P%$$y and not getting on it that much 2. something is awry with my bike or option 3 is i am a giant P%$$y and something is wrong with my bike. but if it keeps the front end down, i am okay with it!.
So I have given myself until this friday (just about a week) to ponder this before I stop my obsesive behavior. With that being said I have two factors that may have helped spell disater for me. The below might explain why I lofted so easily and you don't see that behavior.

- I was going slightly hill, this would exagerate the letting of the front wheel regardless of throttle position.
- I was not ready for this, hence not grippig the tank with my knees, not leaning forward, not covering the rear brake or clutch. Totally relaxed so when I rolled on the throttle its very possible the bike going back caused me to subcontiously grab the bar and "roll in" more juice. This would explain my amazement at how fast the bike shot up.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 PM
SuperSport

Check your gearing?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Squid

CYFAC0183, I doubt its your bike. It's most likely your (cautious) throttle and clutch control combined with your body positioning (weight too far fwds). Example: I can bring the front wheel up on my SH in 1st-3rd and up to about 50mph. Mine has a -1 counter shaft sprocket so 1st gear is real quick (and lofty). Its all in how hard do you want to hammer the clutch (maybe downshift) and rev to accomplish a high mph wheelies. I prefer to plan a power wheelie going into 2nd after a stop or something, then carry it to 4th or so (Im still learning too..sometimes it goes great and sometimes I can't hold it). Balance point is key, most anyone can power wheelie. I love when my wifes on the back.. I typically dont loft the front with her on but I like to run through the gear to where the front tire is just bouncing a few inches. Ive had mine since 99 and just know the bike so well plus Ive been riding street for the last 20yrs and dirt for like 30. I find not thinking about it so much is best but you MUST know the basic principles and what to do when plan A isnt going so smooth.

It dont take to much power to lift the front of a bike if you're position is right. Hell i can have alot of fun just riding wheelies on my sons XR50R in a field. I recommend taking the safe (learning curve route) and practice your balance on a offroad play bike or even take a sport bike class. Maybe you have other rider friends that can mentor you. For me, it started with a bicycle at 7yo and dirtbikes at 8yo. choose wisely

Last edited by 2armor; 04-14-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Dumped the Hawk yesterday :(