General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ducati 916

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 PM
DudimusMaximus
Squid

Dudimusmaximus is on a distinguished road
Ducati 916

I understand the vtr 1000 was specifically created to compete with the Ducati 916 and see that a 1998 916 goes for over $6000. Just curious if anyone has rode both bikes and knows how they compare? The vtr is half those costs Thanks
Scott
Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
That's because it is Japanese and not Italian. And because ducati uses WAY better suspension and other parts than Honda. I rode with a guy today that had a 2011 Desmosedici RR, his forks are the same price as a new Honda.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I had a friend way back when they were new who had a 916 and we swapped once. The suspension felt pretty good on the superhawk until I rode the 916. Upon getting back on the superhawk I suddenly felt like I was riding a 20 year old bike-felt like someone suddenly loosened all the bolts holding it together. I did like the engine alot better on the superhawk though. The power curve on the 916 felt more like a 600. Whack the throttle at 4000 rpm and nothing happened, whereas on the superhawk the tank would hit you in the face. Though all the comparos pitted the superhawk against the 916 and TL1000s it was never designed to be a racebike. I believe "sporting streetbike" was the term used. Plus with my superhawk I never got the "character" he got with the 916 sitting in a giant puddle on oil when it was only a few months old
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Actually no... The VTR was initially supposed to compete with the 900SS, but it ended up being pitted against the 916 instead, since it kind of blew the 900SS out of the water...

The 916 is a purpose built track&race bike that can venture on the road... It's small, light and nimble but extremely uncomfortable for anything longer than down to the local burger joint... The suspension is top notch, and makes the VTR feel even older than it's tech really are, but the engine is a completely different character... The 916 is comparatively peaky, with an anemic bottom end... But if you wring it's neck, it will make the VTR feel tame...

Two totaly polar opposite bikes... Can't really be compared apples to apples... I would gladly par a 916 next to my VTR, but I'd for damned sure wouldn't swap for one, regardless of the price difference... Perhaps if someone offered a Paningale, I'd swap even, but I doubt it, since my bike contains a couple of unobtanium parts...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Actually no... The VTR was initially supposed to compete with the 900SS, but it ended up being pitted against the 916 instead, since it kind of blew the 900SS out of the water...

The 916 is a purpose built track&race bike that can venture on the road... It's small, light and nimble but extremely uncomfortable for anything longer than down to the local burger joint... The suspension is top notch, and makes the VTR feel even older than it's tech really are, but the engine is a completely different character... The 916 is comparatively peaky, with an anemic bottom end... But if you wring it's neck, it will make the VTR feel tame...

Two totaly polar opposite bikes... Can't really be compared apples to apples... I would gladly par a 916 next to my VTR, but I'd for damned sure wouldn't swap for one, regardless of the price difference... Perhaps if someone offered a Paningale, I'd swap even, but I doubt it, since my bike contains a couple of unobtanium parts...
you've piqued my interest, what unobtainium do you have on board?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by twist
MR Fusion
Old 08-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by twist
Originally Posted by kardiac996
MR Fusion
Hah...

The correct answer to that question would however proabably be, in which engine... I have by now gathered one bone stock engine, one fairly normal st1, and one that should probably be called a stage 2, and one... Well let's call it stage crazy by now...

And most of them have by now accumulated one or two rare parts that is by now hard to find and replace...