General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Dropped her off today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:57 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Dropped her off today...

Dropped off my beloved VTR at the dealer's today so she could be fit with the newly ported and decked heads, and Yoshi cams. Incidentally, I asked the mechanic to intall the intake cams advanced by two degrees (106 vs 108 deg. lobe centers as directed to by a tech at Yosh USA) in order to move the power down closer to the mids. Next time I ride her (likely early next week) she'll be sporting another 10-15 hp (to say nothing of added mid-range torque and throttle response). Should be fun, he he

My PVM wheels should be ready on Friday also although I am not sure if I have the necessary spacers to install them. I have a message out to PVM's home base in Deutschland, I hope they can get back to me soon and provide me with any necessary parts (or specs to have them fabbed).

Will keep you folks posted.

Is it next week yet.....
Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
NICE, sounds sweet!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Can't wait...I think, or is it I bet you can't wait...oh, that's it...
Old 08-29-2007, 04:19 AM
Squid

futurehawk is on a distinguished road
And people think movie premiers are where the fun's at. (D'oh!) ENJOY!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:58 AM
MotoGP

I am like a kid waiting for Xmas Heck, I am even looking forward to hearing the bike, should have a bit more bite/snap to the exhaust sound (courtesy of the bigger/more violent kabooms, he he) I am sure that the mods, combined with the light flywheel (and lighter rims) should result in the engine "turning on" quite a bit quicker. I get giddy just thinking about it The only downside is I'll have to run hi-test fuel in it (oh well, small price to be paid).
Old 09-13-2007, 01:49 PM
MotoGP

Update: I stopped in at my dealer's last Thursday and found the mechanic in the thick of it putting the heads (BTW, he told me they shaved 0.015" from them, should give a slight boost in compression) and cams on my VTR. I called back this morning and was told that it is all set to go but that they are waiting on the two side cover gaskets..... needless to say I was a bit disappointed but hopefully the remaining parts will be in soon. I would imagine it will off to the dyno room next for some carb tuning (gave them my DJ kit so that they have access to the necessary parts). I can't wait to test her out!!!!!!!!

Regarding the wheels, it turns out the front was a bit bent so the guy doing the powdercoating is going to find someone to straighten it out (or so I hope). I have put the rims on the back-burner and won't be looking at installing those until the winter or spring, given that the riding season is rapidly winding down here in the Great White North.

cheers

P.S. I can't wait to be able to report back with the "rode report"... stay tuned!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:48 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
can't wait to hear how it goes. As I wrote, I've had a hard time getting the midrange and off idle jetted perfectly with the Dynojet kits. I think it is a combination of drilled slides, springs and needle profile. I settled for a little rich to avoid some 1/8 throttle surging. I was able to locate some HRC needles/jets/slides for the superhawk from Kyoto Watanabe after hearing about him from Mike on this site. Haven't had time to play around with them yet. Be curious to see where you end up.

bill
Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 AM
MotoGP

I just picked her up and all is well so far. The shop ran it on the dyno (to tune the carbs) and here are the results:
- peak tq: 70.0 ft-lbs @ 7000 rpm
- peak hp: 111.2 (virtually flat 8500-10000 rpm)

The torque curve is virtually identical to stock right up to 5K rpm at which time it begins to climb higher. It then stays quite flat from 7-8K before beginning to drop gradually.

To be honest, I was hoping for more than this (as was the mechanic I think) but was told that the mileage on the engine likely kept the readings down a bit. I think that new rings would likely do it some good. The gas was not quite fresh either so I would think that fresh fuel will likely gain me another hp or so (just guessing).

Oh well, enough money spent for now.

I rode it briefly back from the shop and noticed quicker throttle response. It does seem to pull harder but I'll have to ride it some more before being able to properly assess that part of it. Jetting seemed spot on so far.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Superstock

pigwings
rebuild

sweet
Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 AM
SuperBike

sounds good. I wouldn't worry about the numbers - some dynos are notoriously optimistic anyway. Do you know what type of dyno was used? and did you have a pre-mod reading on the same dyno - that might be the most valid comparison? Once you spend some time on it I'm sure you'll notice the difference more.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:21 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Was it a dyno-jet dyno?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:49 PM
MotoGP

Dynojet dyno, last reading was 102.2 hp and 65.5 ft-lbs.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:04 PM
SuperBike

10% is really a pretty good increase. As some others have suggested a full exhaust makes another sustantial increase coupled with these mods. I went from about 113-4 on a dynojet to about the same on the loading-type dyno, which I'm told typically reads 5-6% lower than the dynojet style (I have no idea if that is true)- that would suggest a real increase, and it certainly felt that way. But, I'll have to take it back to dynojet once the busy season slows down to get a genuine comparison final number after exhaust/jetting. curiousity, killing cats etc
Old 09-21-2007, 04:13 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
Details, I want details - all of them!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:18 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
It is very hard to increase an engine power without reving faster, these numbers are good for what's done, speciallt with an advanced cam, wich holds the powerband down, the change in mainly due to compression increasing the Volumetric Efficiency of the engine.
Big gains can only be done either by increasing displacement or displace the powerband further up, witch would require a custom crankshaft, Ti rods, ultralight piston, rebalance.
One comment tough, performance shops increase port volume by default, but without an increase in airflow (diplacement or RPM) the porting job actually slows down port velocity at peak efficiency, the flow needs to choke some to swing the air in to it keeps rushing in while the piston is at BDC even past it. If the ports are too big, the slower flow will not fill the cylinder right and will flow backward some...this is made worst by a big cam.
Rule : Cams and ports begs for higher redline.
My .02
Old 10-01-2007, 03:32 PM
MotoGP

Well, I just picked her up again after dropping it back at the dealer's to have everything checked over. It was making a ticking noise and I was a bit concerned about it. He re-checked everything (including the valve clearances) and told me it was simply the sound of the more aggressive cams.

I got a bit of saddle time in and am quite happy with everything. Of course given the v-twin's power delivery, it is a bit trickier to notice an improvement from the seat of the pants but I took my gf for a ride and she said she flet a difference. What I really like is that the bottom end and engine smoothness have stayed the same. Now, however, it responds to throttle noticeably more quickly and pulls harder from 5K on up. It also has a snappier exhaust sound too (love the Microns!).

I have been thinking about the dyno numbers and came to the conclusion I shouldn't dwell on them too much. By simply replacing the two long intake runners with two short ones I could inflate the top-end figures by another 2-3 hp which would get me to where I was hoping anyhow. As it stands, it is just as strong in the bottom (which is remarkable in itself as you seldom gain at the top without losing in the bottom) but pulls better and more quickly everywhere else. yes, life is good......

cheers
Old 10-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cliby
I was able to locate some HRC needles/jets/slides for the superhawk from Kyoto Watanabe after hearing about him from Mike on this site. Haven't had time to play around with them yet.
bill
Kiyo is a great guy to work with between the jet kit and that "other" special part I sold you it should be a good spring for you next year....... but now you need to edit your sig.
Cheers,
Mike