General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Do we really need to replace the fork spings and valves?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Squid

ta2av
Do we really need to replace the fork spings and valves?

I am getting ready to purcahse a brand new 2003 left over VTR1000 and am curious as to how bad the stock fork springs and valves are. I keep reading about the need to change them and wanted some input. Should I ride it for a while before I replace them or is it a given that they will need to be changed? I doubt it if I will ever take it to the track but will probably drive it pretty hard on the street.

Thanks.
Aaron
Old 12-02-2005, 09:52 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
If you weigh over 145 you need to get some new springs. Don't need to replace the valves unless you discover a specific handling problem that you'd like to solve.

You'll know you need to replace your springs if you can't set about 25mm of static sag.

People mod in some sort of herd mentality. My take: you don't need to fix something until you identify it. And you're much more likely to correctly mod your bike if you do it with deliberation instead of just throwing internet recommended parts at it.

The Racetech valves are a good solid mod. But not every rider needs them or can benefit from them. Weight matched springs seem to be necessary for most everyone.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:14 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Re: Do we really need to replace the fork spings and valves?

Hi,

I would definitely recommend replacing the springs with ones better suited for your weight ( I purchased the 0.80's and I weigh 160 lbs and use the bike mostly for sport-touring). Check the Race Tech Web site for what you need.

In so far as the valving and sag are concerned, I followed the recommendations of a VTR guru out of England (Revolution Racing) :

IF YOU ARE STILL USING STANDARD VALVES THEN USE 7.5 WEIGHT OIL AND AIR GAP 135mm AND DRILL 1mm HOLE IN CARTRIDE 50mm UP FROM THE BOTTOM WITH THE SILVER BOOT FITTED ON

IF YOU HAVE RACE-TECH GOLD SEAL VALVES THEN USE 5 WEIGHT OIL AND 140mm AIR GAP DO NOT DRILL 1mm HOLE.

THE STATIC SAG SHOULD BE 28 - 30 mm. To GET THIS WITH RACE-TECH SPRINGS, YOU MAY HAVE TO PUT IN LONGER SPACERS.

I stuck with the stock valving and am 100% satisfied with this new set-up. Not really sure how much better Gold Valves would make it but hen I am a relatively light person.

Your best bet is to contact Roger from Revolution Racing at roger@revolutionuk.co.uk. You won't find anyone around with more experience in things VTR than him I think. He is also extremely helpful and will tell you all you need to know.

Good luck
Micky
Old 12-02-2005, 11:50 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mikstr";p=&quot
IF YOU ARE STILL USING STANDARD VALVES THEN USE 7.5 WEIGHT OIL AND AIR GAP 135mm AND DRILL 1mm HOLE IN CARTRIDE 50mm UP FROM THE BOTTOM WITH THE SILVER BOOT FITTED ON
Mobil One Synthetic ATF is said to be in the 7-8wt range. I ran that at the stock height (volume) with good results. I would have liked to experienced them at his height specs too if I had known about them then.

Yeah, see if you can set sag for your weight with the stockers. If not, you're going to be in for a "fun" time.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:55 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

A buddy of mine is an amazing rider and he's on a VTR with a stock front end. I sold him my old 1kg springs and he's much happier. You don't HAVE to have them but its very nice.

I recently did the valves as well because so many of the herd were happy they did the mod. The difference to me is that I now have a bike with what feels like a sophisticated suspension and it is the shyt.

Thank god for the internet herd because without it I may never have done all these AMAZING and inexpensive mods to my bike that makes me love it even more.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:04 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

BTW Doug, I got the brace yesterday. Thanks.

I think I will get it anodized in black now to make it blend in better with the bike.

Looking forward to trying it and the steering damper I picked up on this site. Should make my bike better yet. Woohoo
Old 12-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by basshawk";p=&quot
Hey all-

Interesting topic, I just bought my used '98 hawk and am noticing some issues with the front end. I'm a pretty big guy at 6' "5 225lb, but I have never really messed with the suspension on any of the bikes I have owned. ( Laazy and inimidated i guess?) any idea roughly how much the mods you guys are talking about would cost? Thanks for the info!

basshawk
Race Tech springs are $90-100. Gold valves are $250-350. Assuming you do the labor on your own, that's about $500 (fork oil, yada yada).

I believe one VTR owner describes a way to simulate the Gold Valves by shaving down part of the damping rod...I'll see if I can dig it up.

http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/vtr/vtr_sus.htm

That's the link. A lot of interesting info on that website.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:45 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe most people are satisfied with just doing the compression valves so thats about $150 and the springs are $90 and ya, I'd recommend you get it done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Its well worth it though. I was literally giggling with glee in my helmet after doing mine.