General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Damn it, found cct oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:43 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Damn it, found cct oil leak

So I had the tank off to run a battery tender wire up to the guage cluster. I just picked up a RAM stem mount for my Garmin and needed an outlet for it. While trying to tuck hide the wire, I noticed the front cct is leaking . So now I have to dig deeper and fix the problem. It's leaking around the base, so I need to replace the gasket material. What a pita!! Why couldn't it have been the rear?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
The front CCT doesn't have much pressure on it or reason to leak, you might double check your findings.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
+1 Have you tried checking the bolts tight?
Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 PM
MotoGP

So I just re-tightened the bolts. I got about a quarter turn out of each. My question is... should I back one out @ a time and clean the threads and apply some sort of thread lock?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Is it OEM or APE's?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Current - '00 SH - Jardine, Heli, Corbin, Metzeler, Allballs, Motrax signals f&r, Zero Gravity, HaknSlash LED taillight mod, Silkolene, TMB cct's, 15/41
I'm guessing Truckers CCT's? They should be similar enough to APE's... I'm guessing that they transfer a bit more vibration to the mounting bolts than OEM CCT's... I'd definetly mount a pair of manual CCT's using thread lock on the mounting bolts... In fact most things on a VTR needs some kind of thread lock... It's not like the bike is vibration free after all...
Old 10-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Über Member
Superstock

justinity is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Is it OEM or APE's?
I think he has the ape's. Look in his pictures.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:53 AM
MotoGP

Well, to follow up on this old thread, I do have truckers cct's. And all I did for the fix was to remove one bolt @ a time and apply thread lock. Also making sure both were very tight. Problem solved!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Über Member
Superstock

justinity is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Well, to follow up on this old thread, I do have truckers cct's. And all I did for the fix was to remove one bolt @ a time and apply thread lock. Also making sure both were very tight. Problem solved!
Did the manual CCT's Quiet your cam chain? Is there any whine at high RPM's?
I want to get a set and do them. Did you replace the valve cover gasket or did you reuse them?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Just done mine yesterday using the ever so handy instructions - Easy peasy - Not much difference in 'engine/cam chain noise' but then I do have open race cans :-)

Cam cover gasket is reusable - black rubbery thing, just make sure it's correctly aligned before bolting down.

Apes have an o'ring and recess in the CCT so hopefully no oil leaks if lock nut nicely nipped up. Front lock nut is a pain to rotate down as fiddly access impeded by coolant hose (I found to do dry runs to get it as close a possible - then nip it up when CCT bolted on in place).

I needed both hex sockets and/or allen keys depending on the location of CCT retaining bolts to fasten them securely down. IIRC hex socket for both front, and rear top - allen key for bottom bolt.

History: 35k the front CCT imploded at just 30mph taking out the valves and general carnage. Workshop replaced head with 2nd hand item and supposedly replaced (and charged me for) both front & rear CCTs - Only when putting in the Apes (after 15k) did I discover they'd only replaced the front one.

Get it done yourself for peace of mind! + while you're in the oily innards you can change spark plugs and clean/replace airfilter.

Originally Posted by justinity
Did the manual CCT's Quiet your cam chain? Is there any whine at high RPM's?
I want to get a set and do them. Did you replace the valve cover gasket or did you reuse them?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 PM
MotoGP

The whine remains unchanged:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcyGOqzrues

I also reused oem gaskets w/ no problem.