General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Couple Newbie Superhawk Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:54 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Couple Newbie Superhawk Questions

I had those on my first 98 but I didn't use saddlebags. Just going from memory, I'd say saddlebags won't work. I don't carry passengers so that wasn't an issue as I used a large tail pack and a large tank bag. Now I also use a "personal hydration system" backpack stuffed with SOFT items when I need even more room. HTH.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:27 AM
Squid

Boodler

Originally Posted by Random";p=&quot
Spec wise, it's a match for the Superhawk, however, I have YET to see any magazine do a "head to head" for the SH and the SV1000, so I really couldn't say which is better where. I think the SV1K has more HP (120 vs 105 for the SH), but it's power band is more "top end", so it has a tad less torque down low. (going from memory here, so don't quote me) I think the SV1K is also a few pounds lighter than the SH.
Maybe a late answer, but one of the magazines here compared these 2 bikes. A long story short, they voted for the VTR as the winner.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:35 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Since you looked at the 650, I'm assuming you also looked at the SV1000? Spec wise, it's a match for the Superhawk, however, I have YET to see any magazine do a "head to head" for the SH and the SV1000, so I really couldn't say which is better where. I think the SV1K has more HP (120 vs 105 for the SH), but it's power band is more "top end", so it has a tad less torque down low. (going from memory here, so don't quote me) I think the SV1K is also a few pounds lighter than the SH.

my friend bought an SV1000S when I got my superhawk, and we compared them thoroughly until he crashed the SV. before I go on, I can fill in some specs since we familiarized ourselves with them early on in the comparisons: the SV makes about 111hp vs. SH around 100hp. the SV is 417lbs dry, vs. SH 423lbs. (again it depends where you look) the SV revs a little higher too. ok, now my take: the SV feels much more stable at low speeds. this is due to 2 things. 1: it has a stock steering damper, 2: it is fuel injected. 1st gear is much more docile, and less prone to "jumping". buuuut... you do more shifting on the SV, even though the torque of the SV is supposed to be a little higher, you don't feel it. the SH is geared taller, and because of that I never have to shift past 3rd for street riding (no matter how aggressive). and I don't care what the numbers say, after riding both several times, it is my opinion that the SH is faster. and as for the jumpiness in first, I like it. learn to use a clutch. riding the SV leaves a SH rider shifting and waiting for the rush to kick in. riding a SH leaves the SV rider wondering how he got up to 110mph in 3rd so damn fast.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Squid

v2weapon

I have a buddy who says "I'd rather get a postcard from somebody who owns a Honda than ride a Suzuki." I totally agree. Next to my Buell nightmare, every Suzuki I've owned has been a close second for poor build quality, rusty hardware, and unexpected breakages. For a street bike, Honda's superior reliability trumps Suzuki's superior spec sheet any day. Adam
Old 05-30-2005, 02:12 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

"Buell nightmare"????? Surely not a problem with that state-of-the-art engine? *gag*

H-D: living proof that image sells products

Excuse me now while I go hurl!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Squid

v2weapon

Don't hurt yourself, man. I survived the Buell experience, and I'm not THAT bitter. I shut down many a squid on the Buell, but mostly through THEIR lack of skill. In the end, it was just costing me too much to keep that giant paint-shaker together. I stripped it down, built a nice custom chopper, and sold it for triple what I had invested in it. Chaulk it up to lessons learned. Cha-ching! Adam
Old 07-22-2005, 11:18 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Random";p=&quot
Personally, I just don't like the look of the new SV's. I liked the older rounded faring that the SV650S had. Just my personal opine. If you like the SV I'm not gonna fault ya for it.

i hear that brotha'.... yuck! the round lines were very sexy.... why did they change it??
Old 07-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Squid

yellafella

I have a 98 model storm in yellow, code Y124. In 2000 it was produced in a lighter yellow, not sure of the code.