General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Corbin vs. sargent

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Corbin vs. sargent

Okay, so I recently bought my hawk and took it last weekend to biketoberfest, so i was on the bike from 8am till 11pm with breaks in between. The seat is just to hard for me, I have no god given padding to help my a** from going numb. So I started looking at seats and found a guy on craigslist with a hawk up for sale in my area, with a corbin seat, passenger back rest and rear seat cowl. He's willing to part with them for $400 and trade for a stock seat, but I wanted to get a little more input on wether I should wait and get a new sargent or if there isnt much difference between the two seats. Is it worth spending some extra money to buy the sargent over the corbin? I havent really heard anything about the Corbin mainly just the Sargent.

Last edited by sailorjerry; 10-24-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Scour the forum and find someone local who has either and sit on them yourself. I would gladly swap seats for a test ride, maybe someone else would too (the guy selling the Corbin). You are going to get opinions.... My Corbin isn't the most plush, you slowly sink in. If you are light with a boney ****, maybe lean toward the Seargent. Again, just my .02
Old 10-24-2012, 05:03 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Scour the forum and find someone local who has either and sit on them yourself. I would gladly swap seats for a test ride, maybe someone else would too (the guy selling the Corbin). You are going to get opinions.... My Corbin isn't the most plush, you slowly sink in. If you are light with a boney ****, maybe lean toward the Seargent. Again, just my .02
Well, I can say that I am not a light guy, being 6'2 and 230, I just have a boney a** so it gets uncomfortable after about an hour or so of riding, and being that I wanted a rear seat cowl anyways I like the deal on the Corbin, but I like learning others oppinions. seeing as how all i have had was stock. So I told him i would come check it out this weekend but I wanted to see what everyone thought before i did.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Back Marker

VtrInMtl is on a distinguished road
I have a Corbin on the bike and a stock seat that I've never used. The stocker is soft thin and rounded where the Corbin is firm wider and flat especially in the back. Long distance scooted to the rear and leaning on a tank bag behind the screen is ridiculously comfortable. Corbin doesn't ride your nads into the tank on braking either. Not to mention the leather feels like it will last forever compared to the cheezy stock vinyl.

If the Corbin is nearly new I say go for it, but the price is kind of steep, you could wait a bit and find one here on the forum for maybe half that.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Back Marker

VtrInMtl is on a distinguished road
Like this one actually:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...in-seat-29237/
Old 10-24-2012, 06:25 PM
SuperSport

i did see this one, and i do also think that the price of the seat is a little steep, but remember it does come with the passenger back rest, which i will be selling and the rear seat cowl which matches my bike. just some selling points that i liked, not to mention that was what he was asking for it, i havent tried to jew him down any ;D
Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
The biggest differences I've noticed after owning several of each on several different superhawks, is that a sargent is light like the stock seat and fits perfect like the stock seat. The corbin looks beautiful ( I love the looks of the pattern on the cover), but they all fit like **** (they all stick up in the rear and it's even more noticeable when you put the solo cowl on) and it's as heavy as a boat anchor. I trimmed the stoppers on the last one I had so it would sit lower but that shouldn't be necessary for the prices they charge.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Got a custom Sargent on my KTM mainly because Corbin didn't venture down that mfg line. Got Corbin's on three other bikes. Yep there heavy, but they are built to ride nice like a horse saddle and on long 400 or 500 mile day rides they really shine. IMHO it not about the plush or soft feeling of a seat it how it is designed to not have any pressure points that end up causing you pain on the longer rides.

My Corbin fits pretty good and cowl sits right in line like it should.

Name:  DSCF0040.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  115.9 KB
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Thumper
Got a custom Sargent on my KTM mainly because Corbin didn't venture down that mfg line. Got Corbin's on three other bikes. Yep there heavy, but they are built to ride nice like a horse saddle and on long 400 or 500 mile day rides they really shine. IMHO it not about the plush or soft feeling of a seat it how it is designed to not have any pressure points that end up causing you pain on the longer rides.

Yeah that sure looks awesome, I just love the cover, and it fits nice too. I'm surprised I've had several over the years and I'll be damned if every one fit the same and stuck up in the back (as has just about every one I've seen in pictures). I messed with the last one I had before I sold it and got it to fit pretty well.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
I have a Sargent on on mine for the last 2-3 months and makes a huge difference in comfort. I am 5'9 205 and it fits and feels comfortable. I do however do not like how the back of it has a slight rise forcing me more into the handlebars more.

I found myself swapping my seat for different applications. Stock is used for when i want to moto GP and the Sargent for commuting/long rides. If i decide to stay Sargent all the time im going to need to put on some risers for the bars.

Fit of the seat is just like stock so no issues there but i also bent back those seat frame tabs a little to catch the seat hooks and press them down a bit in the rear.

From what others have said they are both pretty similar and add loads of comfort. Just take into account that at your height you might need risers.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
Had a Corbin first and now a Sargent. Would not go back to Corbin. Not that the Corbin is bad, the Sargent just feels better. And I would have probably put off doing the JD rear shock for a while if I had the Sargent to start with.

Last edited by HawkRider98; 10-25-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Thumper

So having the Corbin on your hawk, and the Sargent on your KTM which has a better feeling for the long haul? My bike is a daily rider as long as Florida weather permits that, and i want a seat thats going to last a long time and give me comfort for the long rides but not hinder my performance of dragging knee in the twisties. wieght isnt much of an issue. Oh, and I do already have bar risers on the bike, so thats not something I need to worry about down the road.

Last edited by sailorjerry; 10-25-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Squid
Squid

bostonhawk is on a distinguished road
My two cents. I have a Sargent on my VFR and I have tried the Corbin on the superhawk (have gone back to stock). I personally think the Corbin is a very hard seat. It may be better after many many hours, but I have not tried it. I could not stand it. I personally love my sargent seat and think it is padded much better. Quality of both is very good. Sargent I think it is a little lighter.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
I thought I had a stock seat on my 98 Hawk. Well I soon realized its a Sargent "Gel" seat. I can only imagine how uncomfortable the stock seat must have been, my bony *** still wants more cushion!!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Love my Sargent.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:11 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sailorjerry
So having the Corbin on your hawk, and the Sargent on your KTM which has a better feeling for the long haul? My bike is a daily rider as long as Florida weather permits that, and i want a seat thats going to last a long time and give me comfort for the long rides but not hinder my performance of dragging knee in the twisties. wieght isnt much of an issue. Oh, and I do already have bar risers on the bike, so thats not something I need to worry about down the road.
I prefer the Corbin on the SV, VTR, and CBF over the Sargent, but that is just me. The better seats will have a hard feel but have high density foam, which is why the Gel seats suck and the stock sets suck. They are too soft and to plush and you end up sitting on the seat pan. Why do you think horse saddles are built to fit the riders rear and legs so well.

Either way you go anything is better than a stock VTR seat, even a 2x4 board.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
I have a Sargent and the Stock seat. I acquired the Sargent after riding with heli-bars
for about 6 years. I have noticed that the Sargent feels the same before and after my ride. Being that my butt feels the same(no pain/numbness). It also keeps me mid saddle naturally. Better foam support and wide contoured saddle. I generally ride right up to the LP tank bra on my bike when I ride, so took getting used to(position)

I feel that when I want to ride the twistys more dedicatedly I would switch to the stock seat. More narrow and flickable for movement on the saddle. For general riding and 200+ miles(around the island) I would use the Sargent. Wider and more comfortable support. Keep the Sargent on 99% of the time.

I am 5'10 and about 180#-semi bony ar@se. I really like the look and feel of the sargent. Never been on a Corbin.

I agree with Wolverine, see if you can test ride a corbin or the C/L sellers one. I have
contemplated getting a corbin just for the backrest feature. Though my occasional
pillon might like it. The helmet bumping that occurred when we first started riding is
pretty much non-existing now. Would be a good third seat option for me.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Squid

00jmc is on a distinguished road
Ok, my issues isnt with my a$$, its my boys. They tend to go numb (like my hands) after about 30 mins. I seem to always end up getting pushed into the tank. Anyone else have this issue with numbness? Will the Corbin help this?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 00jmc
Ok, my issues isnt with my a$$, its my boys. They tend to go numb (like my hands) after about 30 mins. I seem to always end up getting pushed into the tank. Anyone else have this issue with numbness? Will the Corbin help this?
I did end up picking up the Corbin seat, the passenger back rest, and the rear seat cowl. the seat is very nice, but a bit firm (being that its a well made seat) you do still sit up on the tank with mine but then again the original owner of the seat also used Armoral on the seat before I got it so I was sliding all over the seat for the first 100 miles or so. I will say that the seat does feel nice on the a** but does take a bit of getting used to in order to get comfortable in the seat, the first 30 to 40 miles were hell my a** hurt worse than it did with the stock seat but on my ride yesterday it felt much better. Im still not sure if it were the better choice than the sargent but I do think that its an improvement, and i couldnt beat the price. As for your wrists, pick up some bar risers, they help ALOT.