General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Commuter tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:53 AM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Commuter tires

What would you guys recommend for commuter tires? I currently have the Michelin Pilot Power's and they are wearing down relatively quick in the middle. I am doing mostly interstate but trying to mix it up a little with backroads to keep the wear off the middle.

I have had the bike for 2.5 weeks now and put 1200 miles on it. I figure that I am going to put 2-3K per month on it so tires will be my main expense. Although they will be my main expense, I do not want to risk good handling (hot days, rainy days, etc..) for price.

I am just really unfamiliar with street tires and would like some advice from other Shawk owners.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:03 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Commuting wise I've had good luck with the Conti Sport Attacks, but tire questions are like oil questions. If your planning on going through a lot the price is right and they seem to last fairly long.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:50 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Yeah, you need to focus on sport-touring tires like a pilot road, strada, avon st's, dunlop 220, etc. Not that I'd suggest one for the VTR but does anyone know of a true touring tire that comes in a 180/17 size?

BTW if you are going to maintain that mileage, I'd strongly suggest learning to change your own tires if you don't all ready as that will save you a TON of money.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:56 AM
MotoGP

I was thinking Pilot Road since the front Pilot Power will still have some mileage left on it.

My good friend will be mounting them and teaching me how with his equip.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:42 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I just ordered a set of the Pirelli Stradas this past weekend as I do more commuting than hard riding (sure wished the forums were working at that time as I had some threads marked with tire info,opinions,etc...) They are supposed to be good for sport touring but also decent for more agressive riding... anyone have these tires?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:56 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Continental road attacks would be the ones, the sports have about half the rubber. Look for a decrease in perormance, as the tires weigh ALOT. The grooves are almost 1/2" or better. Being nice should get you 8000 miles, being a dick will get you 5000. I am on my second set, and after dungflop 208's, i will never change. 28 degrees in january, the tires hooked up no problem for some roll on power wheelies in 2nd. Good luck with your choice,
Bill
Old 08-22-2007, 07:58 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
The new Pilot Road II's are said to work nicely, same with the Conti Road Attak (more touring oriented than the Sport Attaks). There is also the new Battlax BT-021. Avon too has a new sport-touring tire. IN other words, take your pick.....
Old 08-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
I'm at 4K with a BT021 on the rear, mostly commuting on back PA roads. The tread is just above the wear indicators. I'll be lucky to get 5K. I ran a new BT014 on the front and it will probably last through another rear, but I'll probably go to a BT021 front next time, since I've had a little hands-off wobble at the front since I installed that 14.

Better than the old BT020 everywhere (which shouldn't be hard to do), same mileage as the other ST tires I've tried and the price is right at www.swmototires.com

I was going to try a pair of Stradas next, but I think I'll stick with the Stones.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah,
I forgot to mention that on your own, you can get the conti's shipped for $240 for a set. Through a bike shop that doesn't pay shipping, $216. Put their mnt and balance fees on there and you would probably be out the door around $300. That is cheap.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bkelsey
I'm at 4K with a BT021 on the rear, mostly commuting on back PA roads. The tread is just above the wear indicators. I'll be lucky to get 5K. I ran a new BT014 on the front and it will probably last through another rear, but I'll probably go to a BT021 front next time, since I've had a little hands-off wobble at the front since I installed that 14.

Better than the old BT020 everywhere (which shouldn't be hard to do), same mileage as the other ST tires I've tried and the price is right at www.swmototires.com

I was going to try a pair of Stradas next, but I think I'll stick with the Stones.
I've ran BT-021's front and rear on my 'hawk. I'm putting a pilot power on the front as a replacement for the battlax. I got about 4k out of the front, and about 3500 on the rear. I estimate about 1k left on the rear tire, but as soon as it wears out, I'm going with another pilot power.

The battlax's are nice tires if you aren't too aggressive on the street. I definitely wouldn't take them near a track.
I like to ride hard enough that I have to move my fat *** off the seat, or else I hit the pegs. I can't wait to test out this new pilot power front tomorrow!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:48 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I have put some miles on the new Pirelli Stradas and they seem to handle well on the bike - better than the stock 204's were anyways.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:30 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the Pilot Roads.... about 500-600 miles on them and they still look almost unused... either they are really good mileage wise, or I'm a whimp on the throttle!!!! (Might actually be a bit of both in all reality)

I've felt they have held well... only time I've had a slip was last winter when the ground was real cold... the rear got a bit squirrly... in the summer they've been nice.

J.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
Funny, I have Pilot Powers and commute daily (SO Cal in San Diego). My commute is about 60 miles a day and varies from lane splitting at 20 MPH to open highway at 90 MPH. I also canyon carve on weekends. With about 2K on them, the Michelins still look fine. Have you checked the tire pressure/alignment of the back tire? Doing burnouts?
Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Chitownson
Funny, I have Pilot Powers and commute daily (SO Cal in San Diego). My commute is about 60 miles a day and varies from lane splitting at 20 MPH to open highway at 90 MPH. I also canyon carve on weekends. With about 2K on them, the Michelins still look fine. Have you checked the tire pressure/alignment of the back tire? Doing burnouts?
I have them at 42-43PSI. I have done no burnouts and the back wheel is in alignment as close as I can tell. My 60 mile commute consists of 45 miles highway and that is all that I have really ridden it. It is going to make 3K on it, maybe more.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:01 PM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
Hey fellas,
I was wondering if some of you can give an update on your sport touring tires. How many miles did your *average* sport touring front and rear get? I understand that it'll vary a great deal, but I'm more coming from a commuter/weekend warrior point of view.

Thanks in advance,
KG
Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 AM
MotoGP

I ended up getting 5K on my rear Pilot Power. I went with the new Pilot Road 2 on the rear and still running the Pilot power up front. I have put 1K on the rear so far and it is not wearing bad at all.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Squid

mac2003
I was planning on trying the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT on my next tire change. Softer on the edges and harder rubber in the middle. I use mine for commuting as well as having fun on the weekends. Looks like a good combination at least.. Anyone else tried those?