General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

check this out

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 AM
Squid

shwinny is on a distinguished road
check this out

I just bought a superhawk with 3311 miles 4 days ago. Its a 2002 bone stock for 3k $. I changed the oil and oil filter. Then i just got my air filter in yesterday and went to change it out for ***** and giggles and look what i found. I havent really ridden it this way only test drove it. I put the new filter in, cleaned out the air box and it runs good. Just a little blipping around 3k or so around 35mph. It idles fine and takes off and strong wheelie machine. I havent seen a worse filter in my life. I am going to seafoam it when i get home today and take it for a real drive. It was tooo cold last night. Only took it out for 10 min or so. What you guys think. Ohh yeah i am new here and this is my first superhawk. Not my first v-twin i have owned a aprilia falco 4 0r 5 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails check this out-photo.jpg  
Old 04-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
looks like something was living in there! I have heard of mice building nests in airboxes over long spells before.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Blipping is at or just under 3k is completely normal- it's just the large carbs trying to keep up! Look into changing your CCT's and R/R if you're in the preventative maintenance mode. And welcome!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Squid

what is cct's and r/r. I am not sure how much maintenance a 3k bike needs, But that air filter was outragious.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the new bike...

CCTs are cam chain tensioners, if they fail it does a lot of damage to the piston and valves of that cylinder.

r/r is the regulator/rectifier - being you have an '02 which has the updated version with cooling fins you should be OK but theey can fail and either not recharge the battery or way overcharge.

You should fine a wealth of information on these things by searching the forum.

Originally Posted by shwinny
what is cct's and r/r. I am not sure how much maintenance a 3k bike needs, But that air filter was outragious.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Squid

ahh i see. Thanks guys. I will do some searching around. I was looking around for a superhawk because they seem to be the best bang for the buck. Most superhawks around here have more than 25k for miles. I was lucky to find a cherry but as you can see nothing is perfect in this world. Is the cam chain tensioner a complex job.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:22 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Welcome. Whatever that thing is, SHOOT IT!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:18 AM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
2 years ago i started the hawk in early spring. As I rev'd it I learned I had made a Mouse Cannon. Shot that sucker 20 feet. Reloading was a real bitch though. I now block all potential nest sights.