General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Cheap protection...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:02 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Cheap protection...

With all the discussion lately about protective gear I wanted to mention a cheap option for an area of our bodies that I think is sorely missed/ignored by street riders-our shins and knees. Now most of us ran out and bought helmets, and if you're smart you went and got a jacket. Once you wised up a little more you got gloves and maybe even got some boots too. But I think even alot of the responsible riders still feel that a pair of jeans is protective gear for your legs (hell all the honda ads say so right?) Well when I started getting into mountain biking I tended to bleed alot, so I bought two different pairs of used fox knee/shinguards to wear. A short time later I noticed how comfortable they fit under my jeans and with my alpinestars boots riding my motorcycle. One pair has velcro straps on the back, while the others are like long tight leggings-both fit great and stay put. Years later I've field tested them personally and I can say for $30 used on ebay to be able to walk away from a lowside that would have absolutely shredded my knee apart is priceless. Check them out. Lots of companies make them in different styles and designs for mountainbiking and motocross. For anyone who rides in colder weather you'd also be amazed how well they completely block the cold air from hitting your legs. Wish I would have had them and my alpinestars on years back when I smashed my lower leg and spent a year learning to walk and run again. Tell me what you think and does anyone else do anything similar?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Squid

nativegolf is on a distinguished road
I haven't, but wear my soccer shin gaurds during paintball.

Good idea, during my lowside, my F2 fell on my knee and banged it around.
I'll have to try that, especially since some guys are talking about mountain biking more.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I bought some pants that have pads in the hips, and armor in the knees, but I really wouldn't expect them to last all that long if I went sliding across the pavement very fast...of course they should last a bit longer than jeans...

I think that anything you use other than just plain ole raw material is better than, well plain ole raw material...so good job...now how about a link to what the hell your talkin about, or at least pics.....
Old 06-21-2007, 07:56 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Yeah sorry for being lazy kickin...here are the two pairs I have. Hard to see but the one on the right is rashed and cracked (instead of my knee). And anyone on a budget can do what I did and just get a nice used pair off ebay. Just do a search under knee and shinguards and include the brand name if want a specific brand. Places like chaparralmotorsports.com are loaded with tons of different brands and styles too if you want new. I've seen just recently some manufacters selling "armored" pants and such. I haven't tried them to know how durable the armor is, but any of these knee & shinguards are hard plastic with a stiff padded backing and they are pretty durable. Like I said ask me how I know! I strongly recommend something similar to anyone who rides on the street.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Very good...Kind of reminds me of that body suit you see advertised in the cycle mags....of course I don't need the whole dang suit...this looks good...I will check them out...

Thanks for the info...
Old 06-21-2007, 08:40 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I use mesh and leather pants with knee and hip pads but Icon also sells stuff called field armor with a little more coverage, range of motion and breathability. We sell it at CG and lots of other stores have it as well, it's a bit more expensive but very comfortable. Here's a linky, lots of people love the vest with built in back protector too. http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...-ICON05-2.html
Old 06-21-2007, 08:44 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Yeah I just recently started seeing Icon selling their field armor. I should have started selling this **** years ago when I first started wondering/bitching how no one sold anything for street riders who didn't want to wear a roadrace suit.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hindsight is always 20/20! Just another kick yourself for not doing something time.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:30 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Unfortunately what concerned me most was how well they'd actually sell. I mean around here in south florida during the day you hardly ever see anyone riding with any gear on, with many/most not even wearing a helmet. At some bike nights you'll see some with gear on but I think they're probably pretty slow sellers. I was always extremely surprised how motor cops wear no protective gear of any kind besides that dumb open face helmet (I'd want to wear one with the face that flips up). I wonder if they're even allowed to!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
so i'm not the only one with pock-marked shins and bits of flesh on my mountain bike pedals!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Stick these:

http://www.newenough.com/armor/elbow...and_suits.html

into mesh overpants during the summer and leathers during the winter. The mesh overpants with jeans underneath are no less comfortable than wearing just jeans.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
I wear these under draggin-jeans, cheap and comfortable:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...208&Division=2
Old 06-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
The idea of wearing pads is pretty good. The idea of wearing riding specific jeans doesn't sit well with me though. If you are going to go riding, and go to the effort of putting on protective pants, why stop at "riding jeans"? Why not just put on your leathers and be done with it. If you don't want to look like a deuch bag (which is why people choose not to wear the right gear, right?), then why bother putting "riding jeans". What protection do Draggin' Jeans, or other motorcycle specific jeans offer? If they don't have armor, then I am guessing they will just last a little longer in a slide than Levi's, all while they are melting in to your skin. Anybody have published studies of impact and abrassion resistance of the different materials typically found inthe motorcycle world? I know there is something out there, I just can't seem to find it. I am actually trying to put evidence together that suggests that wearing shorts and wearing jeans result in the same injuries. I am from a school of thought that when riding around town, having armor under shorts is superior to no armor under jeans.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I have the Icon Leg Field Armor and love 'em. Fit under the 501's no problem. Hard plastic over the knees and shins and keeps the cold off without getting too hot either. Flexible enough to be comfortable.
4 elastic/velcro straps, 1 above the knee and 3 around the calf. I'm 6'-1, 190 and they fit great.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

I agree fundgh, I think the idea of wearing "long pants" is b.s. too because they alone won't do much of anything for you. And yeah you're also right about simply wearing the leathers, especially when you're going out for the purpose of going riding. I think that can be a challenge in certain situations like for those who ride to work, etc, so I figured the removeable armor offers alot of protection, is easy to put on and take off, and is cheap. And it's certainly alot better than what I'm sure most people are riding around with.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:08 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
At the man's suggestion many moons ago, this is what I wear - everytime out under my jeans. I bought the Alpinestars first but the knee cups were too big to fit under my jeans properly. I bought the Fox Racing youth version next and they are the best. They fit good - I can pull my jeans out of the riding position with the heal of my boot and they are not hot. The EVS was to be a backup pair but I ordered adults instead of youth and their even worse inside my jeans than the 'Stars. Anybody interested the Alpinestars worn twice and retired-$15+ and the EVS (never worn) $13+.

When I have to go someplace and it's a nice day, I close my office door, drop trough and put on the guards, pull up my jeans and nobody knows I'm wearing it. I get a lot of comments from other riders and they think it's a wonderful idea. Of course it's wonderful idea - it's just not mine! Thanks, Capt!

In the photos of the three you can see how the knee cups compare. I wear close fitting clothes because of all the machinery I'm around. Relaxed fit would not be such an issue with the jeans but boot cut in my size will not accomodate the adult size guards.

The 'Stars come with a tote and the EVS come with a wider calf band.