General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Changing from clip ons to normal bars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:31 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Changing from clip ons to normal bars?

I think I have to accept Im not as young as I was. I love my Hawk to bits but it kills me to ride it. My legs and hip scream after a long ride.

So much so Ive been avoiding riding it and been riding my 1200 Bandit which is boring as butter but I can ride it all day in comfort.

I dont want to sell the Hawk so am thinking among other things fitting normal bars.

What are the difficulties in doing this? I have a top clamp with mounts. Are the cables and lines long enough?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Not likely that the brake lines will reach. You can run steel lines of whatever length you want.

The rest of the stuff should be fine. Guys do that swap all the time. For some reason they call them superbike bars. Maybe to make it sound awesome.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
If you are worried about money, you can do it on the cheap. Get the billet risers off eBay for ~$30 and a used 7/8" handlebar for ~$20. The expensive part is the brake and clutch lines. However, if you want to do it on the cheap, then measure the length of the lines that you will need and keep your eyes out for someone that has those lines used, give or take an inch. If anything, you want the lines longer than shorter for obvious reasons. Otherwise, your turning radius has just increased dramatically.

I found an easy way to figure out how long you need for brake and clutch lines. It is to use some thick rubber tubing about the same diameter as the brake and clutch lines, and route them where they need to be, then take the rubber line off and measure the length.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see you had the "top mounts" already. These are the risers I take it? How tall are they?

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 04-26-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:23 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
As mentioned, brake lines will not reach, switches should not be a problem, just a matter of rerouting them, higher and wider bars can help allot.
Don't know if your bike is naked or plastics, but if you have the plastics, some trimming maybe required.

As for your legs and hips, I would consider also adjustable foot pegs, it is not the most ergonomically engineered bike.
Another thing you could modify would be the seat

Don't give up just yet
Cheers mate
Old 04-26-2015, 10:53 PM
SuperSport

This is the top clamp i have, also have the blocks for the bars.

Remembered my braided lines are from a Honda 919 so I routed them the long way. They will be fine. Just my clutch line I need to worry about.

Whats the best way to trim the fairing?
Attached Thumbnails Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-0e591d784296d85028eaae414feab871.jpg  
Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by NHSH
As mentioned, brake lines will not reach, switches should not be a problem, just a matter of rerouting them, higher and wider bars can help allot.
Don't know if your bike is naked or plastics, but if you have the plastics, some trimming maybe required.

As for your legs and hips, I would consider also adjustable foot pegs, it is not the most ergonomically engineered bike.
Another thing you could modify would be the seat

Don't give up just yet
Cheers mate
I have Harris rearsets and they are in the lowest position. I also have a raised seat.

No I wont give up on it, love it to much.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Trimming the fairing and adding plastic spacers between mirror mounts and fairing pics. I have Apex bars, there is a thread on it somewhere. It was pretty much necessary in order to get lock to lock, even had to shim lock stops 1mm each. YMMV
Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-p1010932.jpg

Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-p1010985.jpg

Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-p1020104.jpg

Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-p1010617.jpg

Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-p1010619.jpg
Old 04-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Couple more FYI
Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-p1010614.jpg

Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-p1020274.jpg
Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
I did the 98 VFR 800 swap - didn't need to change lines, did disconnect the front brake line from the lower triple clamp, did add a couple stick on tire weights to the steering stops to stop the bars from hitting the tank.

Made a big difference for this old man, think I paid about $90 for the VFR bars, had to drill mounting holes in them for the switches.

All told the swap took about 2 hours.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:09 AM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
Performed the superbike bar mod several years ago, made a BIG difference in riding comfort. I call them "superbike" bars, cause that what I grew up riding in the 70-80's. Using aftermarket Spiegler Teflon coated steel lines, 3 in. longer than stock. did have to shave the fairing.
Attached Thumbnails Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-img_0633.jpg   Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-img_0634.jpg  
Old 05-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Squid

Mudkicker is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NZSpokes
I think I have to accept Im not as young as I was. I love my Hawk to bits but it kills me to ride it. My legs and hip scream after a long ride.

So much so Ive been avoiding riding it and been riding my 1200 Bandit which is boring as butter but I can ride it all day in comfort.

I dont want to sell the Hawk so am thinking among other things fitting normal bars.

What are the difficulties in doing this? I have a top clamp with mounts. Are the cables and lines long enough?
What about risers like Helibars? My bike came with an old Corbin seat. Was hard as a rock. I took off the cover and glued more foam padding and put the cover back on. It really helped a lot!
Old 05-08-2015, 01:01 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Riser clipons are generally double, tripple or more what handlebars cost and IMHO handlebars look cooler
Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Oh and the OP stated he already has the triple with mounts already to go for bars
Old 05-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
A simple handle bar riser on eBay offers over 22k postings so you should be able to find what your looking for there.

I used these risers from ROK for my SH along with one inch Fat Bars with the High CR bend.

I have around a 5 inch rise from the upper triple and the two ROK risers work together to eliminate cutting on the fairing.

Get a set of OEM throttle cables from a 2006 Honda VT1100c off eBay along with a longer clutch line IIRC was 50 inches long from eBay for 50 bucks.

Look on eBay for Honda duel front brake lines, the older CBR600 used a two into one brake line set up the Tee's just below the bottom triple and have a new brake line made from the Tee to the front brake master cylinder, IIRC it was about 18 inches from the Tee to the M/C and cost about 50 bucks on eBay.

The wiring is a little tight but doable if you route it above the center fairing mount, oh and use the horn mount to bolt the caliper Tee in place.

Any questions give me a holler!

SIRR1
Attached Thumbnails Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-mnh2spzcc6fqimkjewffcew.jpg   Changing from clip ons to normal bars?-mp2bu6ecenm8y8_qysmkimq.jpg