General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

California pounding

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:27 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Unhappy California pounding

Well, it's been raining nonstop (half day break on 3/16) since like 3/12 in northern California. Not only have I not been on my bike for what seems like a month, the river (American) about 1/4 mile from my house is running at ten times its normal flow. I'm wondering if I should start building an arc! I'm sure it's not just me, so I thought I'd vent first.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:22 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah - F'in sick of it. I'm starting to get S.A.D.

I thought the snow was getting deep when my 6 ft fence disappeared. but that was last week. You guys in the valley can be glad the storms have been cold.

Definitely need some sun...
Old 03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
Yeah - F'in sick of it. I'm starting to get S.A.D.

I thought the snow was getting deep when my 6 ft fence disappeared. but that was last week. You guys in the valley can be glad the storms have been cold.

Definitely need some sun...
I didn't realize you are in Tahoe. I heard Tahoe basin may get 4 to 6 feet of new snow by tomorrow! I've never lived in the snow but I imagine at times the snow is better in a sense that it is not as wet! I've never done a ride around the entire lake. Hook me up with a good route from hwy 50 or 49? Do you ever come down the hill and ride 49?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You guys are complaining about weather in CA? Isn't that the sunshine state? You big babies.You should see the winter we've had in NYC. Its the most non-riding days in my life. I will ride in 15* but the ice & snow mean I have to mountain bike it.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:48 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
You guys are complaining about weather in CA? Isn't that the sunshine state? You big babies.You should see the winter we've had in NYC. Its the most non-riding days in my life. I will ride in 15* but the ice & snow mean I have to mountain bike it.
Joe, You're confusing Northern California with SoCal. They even wanted to split the state in two not too many years ago. San Francisco is up there, and that's really weird. And Jerry Brown lives in Northern CA. Northern CA is really more like Southern Oregon, weather wise.

But you guys up there really have taken a pounding this year. I hope you see the sun soon. My wife and I did a sunny mountain bike ride today, and I did a short ride on my SuperHawk yesterday, but we're supposed to get your leftovers tomorrow as the storm heads south.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Umm...I'm awesome. Duh...
Squid

shake-n-bake is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
You guys are complaining about weather in CA? Isn't that the sunshine state?
cali aint the sunshine state, thats florida's nickname
all week we've had low to mid 80's. think its going to be a bad fire season though, we've already had one big one and another started up yesterday. this winter was pretty cold too. i think when i woke up one morning it was actually 19* outside and 14* with windchill... outrageous. needless to say, i did not leave the house that day
Old 03-25-2011, 04:54 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
that sucks. if it makes you feel better it got hot here last week. i went riding twice, it was great, i was out in a t shirt. monday i believe it was, we got snow, its still here
Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
Rain sucks! Snow is better, but sunny is best! I got stuck in Reno last weekend because the Interstate got closed for snow. I have the Hawk here in the shop with me because it got lonely and started whimpering sitting home in the garage all alone! Weather guessers say we will be able to ride again next week.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:29 AM
The Stinger
Squid

norCal4Life is on a distinguished road
I live in the Bay Area, in March we have had 20 rainy days out of 25, and 13 in a row. All the reservoirs are spilling or close to it. Insane. I have lived here my entire life (43 years) and never seen this much rain or snow in March. Can't wait to head to Tahoe for some boarding tho. I heard the pow is so deep that when you eat it you literally completely disappear. Awesome.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Wrench Bender
Squid

Just tried to start her and the battery is too weak........she does not like to sleep this long!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Wrench Bender
Squid

Battery on charge.........I bet it will be good long before the weather!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:15 PM
SuperBike

Don't get me wrong. I love the snow. Better snow than rain. But I like it when I can go ski freshies in the backcountry. There is such a thing as too much. Especially when I can't get to the gym in the morning, because I have to clear snow before work.

This is the most snow we've had since '82-'83 and not too far off from '52-'53!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by ranchomice
I didn't realize you are in Tahoe. I heard Tahoe basin may get 4 to 6 feet of new snow by tomorrow! I've never lived in the snow but I imagine at times the snow is better in a sense that it is not as wet! I've never done a ride around the entire lake. Hook me up with a good route from hwy 50 or 49? Do you ever come down the hill and ride 49?
I can hook you up with some great rides in the mountains. Riding around the lake is beautiful, but I wouldn't call it a great ride, unless you just want the cruise and the scenery.

Go Ride Hwy 162, to Bucks Lake and Quincy. South 49, south of Sonora is another gem. I used to get 100 miles after work over Monitor Pass - a classic. Sonora pass is a great hoot. Wheelies over waves in the pavement! But be careful. You'll have to wait about 3 months for those... There are many more.

Come down and do a track day at Thunderhill!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Squid

the1bolton is on a distinguished road
Massachusetts got hit pretty bad this winter in January... looked a lot like the pictures above in the cities (out in the country the snow wasn't stacked as high; more places to put it). It's all melted now though; we had a heat wave for 2 or 3 weeks and then the temperatures dropped below normal again. Salt (aka, 10 years expected lifespan of an American pickup frame) is still all over the roads.

Also, if it makes you feel better, bikes still run in the rain

about two years ago it rained for something like all but 2 or 3 days in the month of June. I got fed up and just rode.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
[quote=RCVTR;296961]Don't get me wrong. I love the snow. Better snow than rain. But I like it when I can go ski freshies in the backcountry. There is such a thing as too much. Especially when I can't get to the gym in the morning, because I have to clear snow before work.

This is the most snow we've had since '82-'83 and not too far off from '52-'53!

Absolutely gorgeous pics. We could have used some of that snow this winter. It was pathetic what we got; useless winter. The skiing most be fantastic.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Wrench Bender
Squid

In California rain means run inside, lock the door and hide under something! My Hawk does not go out in the rain, might get wet and melt!